VS "Love Your Body" Commerical Rant

Options

Replies

• Priincess_Natalie
    Priincess_Natalie Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    A store picks the market where they can make the most money. They are a business... their goal is to make money, not make you feel better about yourself. I have the same issues with being on the opposite end of the spectrum, having a flat chest. I buy their underwear but if I boycotted every store just because they didn't carry my bra size I'd hardly have any place to shop. Also, the women in the commercials aren't extremely thin, they look pretty healthy for being models.

If you don't like VS then look at http://bounce.titlenine.com/ They support pretty much everyone.

This.

They don't make my size either- I've got a very small band size. And one size fits most for panties is a big joke- I'll have a string hanging down 3 inches from my crotch. Should I be upset about it? They are there to make money, plain and simple. If they don't want to cater to a particular market, well...it's nothing personal.

Agreed!!!
  • Priincess_Natalie
    Options

This.

They don't make my size either- I've got a very small band size. And one size fits most for panties is a big joke- I'll have a string hanging down 3 inches from my crotch. Should I be upset about it? They are there to make money, plain and simple. If they don't want to cater to a particular market, well...it's nothing personal.

Exactly... I'm an AA, I can't shop at VS because they don't carry my size. I need advice, should I a) bomb the company HQ or b) shop at another store?

LMAO
  • suzieqcookie
    suzieqcookie Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    maybe all us women of MFP should an "anti victoria's secret" campaign?? they don't hear one person, but they stand up and pay attention when it's the masses yelling at them.
  • Priincess_Natalie
    Options
    Thread full of women upset that their exact body type isn't represented in every single commercial

Ding ding ding, we have a winner!

If a shop doesn't 'represent' you it's not because they are targeting you and being mean to you *boo hoo* it's based on a business decision. Perhaps VS want to maintain their image of being at the elite end of lingerie. Perhaps it is worth more to them to keep that image than to make their stock available for everyone.

To be honest - I think that Dove advert is just as bad, just in the other direction, suggesting that unless you are overweight you aren't a 'real woman'.

Again, I agree with this. I dislike it when heavy people are bashed or misrepresented but lately this has swung so far the other way and it's us thin girls getting picked on and put down. Not cool no matter who is doing it.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I think we should all get together and burn our bras outside of Victorias Secret! COME ON GIRLS
  • newmeann
    newmeann Posts: 19
    Options
    I like your post!

THE FOLLOWING IS AIMED TOWARDS SOME PEOPLES RESPONSES:

If you don't like a post, then leave the post. If you don't have something nice to say, don't respond to the post! This site is meant to HELP each other. Some of the responses I have seen are not nice or supportive. Quite frankly, some things I have read are quite shallow and make them sound extremely uneducated. The only reason I could see someone saying some of these things is because they are completely lacking something in their lives.

The End.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    Hey OP are you on MFP because you love being fat and you want to defend fat bodies, or are you here because you want to lose weight and have a healthier body?

You say sarcastically "all fat people are unhealthy, right?"

Then you go on to say something about how you buy fresh fruit and veggies, and again sarcastically indicate that the responder thought that because you're fat, all you eat is cake. Well, how did you get fat? Was it eating mostly fruits and veggies? Probably not. So you're currently changing your lifestyle, using MFP, counting calories, being more aware of your diet. That's great. But you weren't always this way. You're overweight not because of the habits you're developing now, but because of habits that made you fat.

Yes, fat is unhealthy. When you're done with your journey, if you stick with it, you will probably not associate with "fat people" anymore.

I was on antidepressants for 5 years, which contributed to my weight gain. I also didn't eat the best but I was exercising in competitive marching band (yes it is a sport, to those anti-music program people). I want to be able to love myself at every size I'm at but apparently, I'm not allowed to. I must be ashamed of myself because I'm not at my goal yet. And I'm a bit insulted that you assume that I won't associate myself with fat people anymore when I reach my goal. So am I to break up with my boyfriend and abandon my family just because I'm smaller than them? How dare you. I love my family and I love my boyfriend. I hope not all skinny people are so snobbish.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Holy crap! I haven't walked into their store in years. . .i generally avoid the mall anyway. I'm certain I would "fit" into the products they're selling, but I've always felt they were over priced crap. Anything I did buy from them in the 90s fell apart WAY too soon. So, I don't buy their stuff for that reason. Now, I'll continue my personal boycott because they are apparently not very concerned about customer service and making sure they have products for a variety of body types.
  • Erisad
    Options
    One option which doesn't seem to have been suggested (possibly because most of the people seem to be US rather than UK) is support local independent retailers and stockists , they are far more likely to build up a long term relationship with you and try harder to get you what you need!
    We used to have a fantastic shop by us called corsetry cottage with a lady who could tell you what would fit just by looking at you and would do alterations if needed but sadly people didn't support the place and it went bust. I'd rather pay more for something I know fits and will last than but cheap 3 wear stuff that doesn't quite fit ..

I don't know of many independent retailers in our area, mostly because they are bought out rather quickly. I'd probably would have to move into the city to get to one. >.>
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Wow, they're getting that bad are they? I've just been mad that I can't get cute bras in my size. If it isn't a C cup or smaller, it is nude, black or white. I found cute ones online that I ordered in my size and my boobs are hanging out of the cups and I had to lose 2 inches to fit the band that they measured me out to fit into.

Problem is, I have yet to find a place to shop for bras and haven't been fitted in ages...

Unless your a 36A. Then they only carry one bra in your size because "its a weird size"
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I like your post!

If you don't like a post, then leave the post. If you don't have something nice to say, don't respond to the post! This site is meant to HELP each other. Some of the responses I have seen are not nice or supportive. Quite frankly, some things I have read are quite shallow and make them sound extremely uneducated. The only reason I could see someone saying some of these things is because they are completely lacking something in their lives.

The End.

There is no MFP rule that I am aware of that states all opinions and advice must be nice. Please quote it to me if I am wrong. I am entitled to share my opinion just the same as you, whether or not I think the OP's point was valid. If you can't handle someone disagreeing with you, the internet is not the place for you.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Yes, please, all of you - write VS to tell them how much they hurt your fragile egos by marketing to women of a certain size. Make sure you tell them how detrimental to society it is that they have supermodels in their ads. Don't forget the part where not selling a 40DD is hateful, too!!!

I bet Victoria's Secret will do all kinds of nothing in response.

As a plus sized woman, who does love her body, I am really disappointed to read all of the spitful comments ... from skinny bashing to talking about discrimination against fat people.. really?? Shop at Lane Bryant and Torrid like all of the rest of us not-bitter fat women and get over it. Don't like being treated like an overweight person? Get not overweight.
  • Erisad
    Options
    I like your post!

The End.

I know. I really need to stop posting on these forums. Almost every time I do, I get bashed and am left crying, regretting ever sharing my opinion in the first place. Apparently only pretty people are allowed to post their feelings on here. Once I made a joke about me being pretty and I was bashed for being "delusional", like there's no way someone would ever find me pretty. For a weight loss support site, there are so many snobs here. None of my positive posts get any notice (I posted a small NSV this morning that got like one reply) but as soon as it's slightly negative, everyone explodes at me for being whiny and annoying.
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Hey OP are you on MFP because you love being fat and you want to defend fat bodies, or are you here because you want to lose weight and have a healthier body?

Then you go on to say something about how you buy fresh fruit and veggies, and again sarcastically indicate that the responder thought that because you're fat, all you eat is cake. Well, how did you get fat? Was it eating mostly fruits and veggies? Probably not. So you're currently changing your lifestyle, using MFP, counting calories, being more aware of your diet. That's great. But you weren't always this way. You're overweight not because of the habits you're developing now, but because of habits that made you fat.

Yes, fat is unhealthy. When you're done with your journey, if you stick with it, you will probably not associate with "fat people" anymore.

I was on antidepressants for 5 years, which contributed to my weight gain. I also didn't eat the best but I was exercising in competitive marching band (yes it is a sport, to those anti-music program people). I want to be able to love myself at every size I'm at but apparently, I'm not allowed to. I must be ashamed of myself because I'm not at my goal yet. And I'm a bit insulted that you assume that I won't associate myself with fat people anymore when I reach my goal. So am I to break up with my boyfriend and abandon my family just because I'm smaller than them? How dare you. I love my family and I love my boyfriend. I hope not all skinny people are so snobbish.

where did she mention abandoning your family? she meant you won't associate with "fat people" as in you won't see yourself that way. I've read a lot of threads with your posts in them and they all have one theme. People give you a solution to a problem and you make excuses about why you can't do that. Stop making excuses and either take people's advice or actively search for something that works for you. you're just making yourself miserable.
  • namenumber
    namenumber Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Oh please, people choose the stupidest things to get up in arms about. My two best friends are both tall and naturally skinny, and I don't feel resentful or like they're not "real women" because they easily fit into Victoria's Secret stuff and look more like the VS campaign than the Dove campaign. Incidentally, they both have better healthy eating habits than me and *shock* eat solid food and don't starve themselves.

I attempted to buy VS bras a while ago but their cups sizes aren't small enough for me. I'm super angry now and will never ever patroni-- you know what, I don't even feel like finishing that sarcastic sentence. Go to Gap Body. Their bras are high quality and fit tiny boobs.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    I totally get what OP is concerned about - You have on one hand an ad campaign for women to "love their bodies" and on the other hand you have the visual images of the bodies that a good majority of women do not have, so what does that say? Love your body if you look like me, otherwise, tough luck!

I get it, VS is a corporation and they are very successful at what they do, so yes, they can pick and choose the sizes they show and even sell. They can cater to a different clientele, no problem, that is their right in a free market society.

I think that, for me, the problem is marketing in general without regards to public sentiment. Just like commercials that say "Drink this shake, lose 30 lbs in 30 days!!" It is all a gimmick tailored to one group or another.

As an aside: The sentiment to love your body is an excellent one, and that should be applied to everyone that struggles with self esteem. Love your body, be strong and confident, and if loving your body means taking care of it better (as we are all here to do on this site) than love it that way as well. When we love something, we don't just give it everything it wants, we also have to use tough love sometimes, discipline, in order to do what is best (healthy) for what we love, in this case, our bodies. But it doesn't mean we can't also be proud, confident women, no matter what stage we are at.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I like your post!

The End.

I know. I really need to stop posting on these forums. Almost every time I do, I get bashed and am left crying, regretting ever sharing my opinion in the first place. Apparently only pretty people are allowed to post their feelings on here. Once I made a joke about me being pretty and I was bashed for being "delusional", like there's no way someone would ever find me pretty. For a weight loss support site, there are so many snobs here. None of my positive posts get any notice (I posted a small NSV this morning that got like one reply) but as soon as it's slightly negative, everyone explodes at me for being whiny and annoying.

You are a martyr.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options

I agree that carrying an instrument around for hours is exercise. Did antidepressants really make you fat? Or was your statement "I didn't eat the best" a little closer to the real reason?

No one says you aren't "allowed" to love yourself at whatever size you are.
    No one said you should be "ashamed".
    You misread me - I don't think you are going to IDENTIFY with "fat people" when you're at your goal weight. I didn't say you should break off all of your relationships with people who are overweight. But when you have a different body, you will see things a little differently.

I don't remember being so bitter when I was fat.
  • Erisad
    Options

where did she mention abandoning your family? she meant you won't associate with "fat people" as in you won't see yourself that way. I've read a lot of threads with your posts in them and they all have one theme. People give you a solution to a problem and you make excuses about why you can't do that. Stop making excuses and either take people's advice or actively search for something that works for you. you're just making yourself miserable.

She said I wouldn't associate with fat people anymore, a lot of my family is overweight. Ergo, if I weren't to associate with fat people anymore, I'd have to abandon my family. I tend to take things literally so I'm sorry if I misunderstood. >.<

I swear, I make posts that aren't like that. Just that people don't remember those posts. I swear no one remembers or notices the positive posts I make. Nope, just the negative ones. Apparently I must be happy 100% of the time or MFP people won't like me. I'm not allowed to have an off day, EVER. I'll keep that in mind. :/
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    This thread is crazy!

To all those who love the Dove "Real Beauty" campaign: I suggest you look at the ads again. VS says "Love Your Body" and shows skinny models in underwear because, well, their job is to sell underwear. Dove says "Real Beauty" is not-so-skinny-but-definitely-not-fat women in their underwear because they are selling...soap. What Dove is saying is that "real beauty" is women in their underwear; they are telling us that beauty is, quite literally, only skin deep.

To all those who are bashing the VS models: Really? Saying that all the models are thin because they are anorexic is the same as saying all fat people are fat because they eat cake all day. It smacks of double standards.

I don't shop at VS because I don't think their bras fit very well. Last time I was in there, they sized me for a 36C. Bwahahaha! I'm a cup size smaller everywhere else, and so I shop where I can find underwear that I like. I'm not pissed that VS only sells super padded, mis-sized underwear. They are a retailer, they are entitled to do what works for their business. And that's really the point here. If you are going to form some sort of "Anti-VS" group, then I reserve the right to form "Anti-Land Bryant" groups.