Please help with my sugar addiction!!

Replies

• socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    The short answer to ClosetBayesian's question about the difference between fruit and foods containing refined sugar is "fiber." To understand the important significance between refined sugars and sugars that naturally occur in foods, read about Glycemic Index - an approach that was developed in Australia after 30 years of research into Diabetes.

http://www.gisymbol.com/about/frequently-asked-questions/
  • bunnyghost
    bunnyghost Posts: 142 Member
    girl i have the same problem and it's sooo tough because the more sugar you eat, the more you're gonna crave it. try to limit most of your sugar to mostly fruits and stay away from the processed sugars. there are lots of recipes where you can substitute sugar with applesauce/peanut butter/bananas and they're still really really yummy <3 i'm on my phone right now but i'm gonna try to find a link to these cookies i made using that technique because they were delicious :smiley:
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    luizaxxi wrote: »
    try strawberries and also quark yogurt red velvet flavor
    I've never heard of this. I can't wait to try it!
  • superhippiechik
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Sugar flowers suitable for the sweetest hummingbird.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qWqnDDtcv2g

Drool!!!
  • superhippiechik
    I'm confused, are you trying to defeat the addiction or feed it with a sweet/ low cal alternatives?

Yeah, I'm confused... Do you want to reduce your sugar intake or do you want healthier sweets?
    Both. I figure if I have healthier alternatives I won't go for the chocolate bar.
  • superhippiechik
    flazeda wrote: »
    girl i have the same problem and it's sooo tough because the more sugar you eat, the more you're gonna crave it. try to limit most of your sugar to mostly fruits and stay away from the processed sugars. there are lots of recipes where you can substitute sugar with applesauce/peanut butter/bananas and they're still really really yummy <3 i'm on my phone right now but i'm gonna try to find a link to these cookies i made using that technique because they were delicious :smiley:
    Thank you so much!

• superhippiechik
    I'm sorry if I wasn't clear,I was hoping to get some healthy ideas and/or recipes. I guess willpower is my real issue. Thanks for the constructive advice. :-)
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    Evidence for sugar addiction: Behavioral and neurochemical effects of intermittent, excessive sugar intake:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2235907/

Congratulations, you've demonstrated doped up rats may exhibit similar signs as addiction to sugar when they are offered the choice of sugary water or nothing.

See the nutrition debate forum to discuss the concept of "sugar addiction" in humans (hint: it doesn't exist).

To the OP: I find that if I allow myself a small "treat" daily (a couple Oreos or a serving of good ice cream) of a food commonly thought to contain a lot of sugar (although most of them contain an equal amount of, if not more fat) I don't have cravings where I need to binge eat a lot of excess sugar calories.

I didn't demonstrate anything, just posted an article I thought might be worth checking into due to it's description of addiction and the subsequent breakdown of the stages thereof, no need to be so condescending.

It's a weakly designed article that is posted time and time again in the forums, and I'm quite sure many regular posters in the forum are sick of seeing it used as evidence for a popular term that to date hasn't been scientifically proven. In the end, the study has horrible design flaws that gives the researchers the result they want to see:

1 - the rats are starved before the experiment. If you were starved for a period of time to induce hunger, and had a chocolate biscuit and a carrot put in front of you, which would the majority of people eat first?

2 - The rats aren't deprived of water during the fast. If they were deprived of food and water, then given the two options of water or straight sugar (not sugar water), if it was an addiction the sugar would always be eaten first, no matter how thirsty they were.

3 - If you learn you're going to be starved on a regular basis (just like the rats were), and the sugar water is the first thing you're given after each starvation period is over, of course you're going to be conditioned to always take it first over other options. The controls in the trial are horrible.

So as not to take the thread further off topic, I suggest anyone wanting to discuss the nature of sugar addiction head on down to the nutritional debate section of the forum. That's what it's there for.

OP, if you like sweet things a lot, knock yourself out and have something sweet, rather than a substitute to try and 'trick' yourself. If you've lost the weight and are maintaining successfully, unless you're diabetic I don't see why you should have to find alternatives.

Thanks for pointing out the Nutritional debate section. If Juggernaut1974 would have just pointed that out to me instead of being rude, I would have waltzed on over there and checked it out. That being said, I'm disappointed I didn't leave enough room for more than one chocolate mint tonight. I have cut down, but not eliminated, my sugar "addiction."
  • SusanKing1981
    SusanKing1981 Posts: 257 Member
    Why the negativity surrounding sugar? God I love sugar!!! 2 sugars in my tea, a teaspoon with my cereal, at least 2 "fun size" bars or chocolate a day. What's wrong with that?
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    socalkay wrote: »
    The short answer to ClosetBayesian's question about the difference between fruit and foods containing refined sugar is "fiber." To understand the important significance between refined sugars and sugars that naturally occur in foods, read about Glycemic Index - an approach that was developed in Australia after 30 years of research into Diabetes.

http://www.gisymbol.com/about/frequently-asked-questions/

If a person is truly addicted to sugar, replacing chocolate with an apple is akin to an alcoholic switching from whiskey to Budweiser: they're still consuming the substance.
  • superhippiechik
    faeriesue1 wrote: »
    Why the negativity surrounding sugar? God I love sugar!!! 2 sugars in my tea, a teaspoon with my cereal, at least 2 "fun size" bars or chocolate a day. What's wrong with that?
    Diabetes runs in my family. I was just hoping to get some healthier recipes; maybe make a few new friends who can relate to how I'm feeling.
    I'm skinny fat, and would love to be toned and fit. My snacking (chocolate, cookies, cake, ding dongs) is negating my healthy diet,(Veggies, nuts, beans, lean meats, hard cheese) and I was looking for some new ideas.

• try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    OP, I have not worked this out by any means. I think there was a day last week that I ate something like 500 cals worth of chocolate candy (hubby brought home $25 worth of marked down valentines candy... *sigh*). This week my calories are well-controlled despite still having a treat a day and all that candy in the house, and I haven't felt driven to down more. When I don't have it, I don't necessarily miss it, but in the wrong frame of mind, it seems to snowball. I don't feel "addicted" (however you want to use the word) to the sugar. If there isn't something I like in the house, I'm not going to scarf my kids' treats trying to get sugar. I want the specific mouth-feel and satisfaction of my chocolate, cookies, or other baked goods. It's totally sensory. OK, but none of that helps you...

For me, "alternatives" don't particularly help. I do lighten and reduce the sugar in my baked goods if I can do so w/o compromising the taste/texture. But if it's good, I'm still likely to overeat it. Fruit? Again, it's not the sugar I'm after, it's about the experience of specific treats. I'll eat fruit because I like it, but not as a replacement. I will buy no-sugar added versions of other products to help balance my general sugar intake. There are a couple of specific things I do enjoy and have found to be helpful. I've been buying this sweet cinnamon herbal tea (and there may be other flavors that would work as well, but for me, the intense cinnamon flavor really does the trick) that I can sip on and enjoy over time, and basically keeps me satisfied and busy so I don't (usually) think about other sweets. Blue Bunny makes a sweet freedom chocolate ice cream that's only 100 cal/1/2 cup that's a decent chocolate hit for the calories. But for the most part my strategy is, eat well in general (plenty of protein & fiber) so that I'm less likely to indulge in cravings out of hunger, and only choose treats that I consider to be "worth it". I also read the suggestion recently to put off treats as long as possible in your day, and perhaps you will be less likely to trigger more craving.

And BTW, it's my understanding of the new guidelines that those posters arguing about sugar addiction aren't supposed to be doing it here, but in the debate forum. :)
  • SusanKing1981
    SusanKing1981 Posts: 257 Member
    Diabetes runs in my family. I was just hoping to get some healthier recipes; maybe make a few new friends who can relate to how I'm feeling.
    I'm skinny fat, and would love to be toned and fit. My snacking (chocolate, cookies, cake, ding dongs) is negating my healthy diet,(Veggies, nuts, beans, lean meats, hard cheese) and I was looking for some new ideas.

Type 1 or type 2?
  • try2again
    Oops, OP. Your post about diabetes came up as I was typing mine, so my musings may not be particularly helpful! As far as healthier recipes, I haven't found a recipe for baked goods yet that I couldn't leave out at least half the sugar & be fine, and then sometimes I'll replace half of that with stevia. I have a pumpkin bread recipe that is to die for (but can't make regularly because I'll eat it all day.) I also came across a very low cal recipe for a zucchini cobbler last year that I was able to greatly reduce the sugar in... it's one of my hubby's favorites. If either of those appeal to you, feel free to message me :)

And of course, toning isn't really diet-based, but if you're not into heavy lifting, you could look into some basic toning dvds online or ideas on youtube.
  • superhippiechik

Type 1 or type 2?

Type 1. My aunt on my mother's side died because of diabetic complications.
  • superhippiechik
    try2again wrote: »
    OP, I have not worked this out by any means. I think there was a day last week that I ate something like 500 cals worth of chocolate candy (hubby brought home $25 worth of marked down valentines candy... *sigh*). This week my calories are well-controlled despite still having a treat a day and all that candy in the house, and I haven't felt driven to down more. When I don't have it, I don't necessarily miss it, but in the wrong frame of mind, it seems to snowball. I don't feel "addicted" (however you want to use the word) to the sugar. If there isn't something I like in the house, I'm not going to scarf my kids' treats trying to get sugar. I want the specific mouth-feel and satisfaction of my chocolate, cookies, or other baked goods. It's totally sensory. OK, but none of that helps you...

For me, "alternatives" don't particularly help. I do lighten and reduce the sugar in my baked goods if I can do so w/o compromising the taste/texture. But if it's good, I'm still likely to overeat it. Fruit? Again, it's not the sugar I'm after, it's about the experience of specific treats. I'll eat fruit because I like it, but not as a replacement. I will buy no-sugar added versions of other products to help balance my general sugar intake. There are a couple of specific things I do enjoy and have found to be helpful. I've been buying this sweet cinnamon herbal tea (and there may be other flavors that would work as well, but for me, the intense cinnamon flavor really does the trick) that I can sip on and enjoy over time, and basically keeps me satisfied and busy so I don't (usually) think about other sweets. Blue Bunny makes a sweet freedom chocolate ice cream that's only 100 cal/1/2 cup that's a decent chocolate hit for the calories. But for the most part my strategy is, eat well in general (plenty of protein & fiber) so that I'm less likely to indulge in cravings out of hunger, and only choose treats that I consider to be "worth it". I also read the suggestion recently to put off treats as long as possible in your day, and perhaps you will be less likely to trigger more craving.

And BTW, it's my understanding of the new guidelines that those posters arguing about sugar addiction aren't supposed to be doing it here, but in the debate forum. :)

That yes sounds amazing. It is similar to Chai?
  • ccmission11
    ccmission11 Posts: 5 Member
    Any cake mix , for example betty crocker and 1 cup pumpkin, mix and bake with just that and you have 100 cal/muffin/ cupcake. Butter pecan is pretty good as well as chocolate the pumpkin makes it moist.
  • BrandyGanus
    BrandyGanus Posts: 45 Member
    I'm sorry if I wasn't clear,I was hoping to get some healthy ideas and/or recipes. I guess willpower is my real issue. Thanks for the constructive advice. :-)

Ah, I see. I think you have the right idea to try healthier sweets. I tend towards fruit and dark chocolate. If you pair 72% dark chocolate with oranges, it's amazing! Fruits are always a good option for a sweet treat.

I don't know anything about baking with alternative sweeteners and I prefer the original stuff anyway. I just try to limit the amount of simple sugars I consume.
  • try2again
    try2again wrote: »

That yes sounds amazing. It is similar to Chai?

The tea? Maybe sort of. It actually tastes just like Big Red gum, if that means anything to you. It's somewhat sweet on its own, but I do add about a tsp of honey to it. Mine is a local store brand, but I'm sure there must be a name brand version. I recently also became aware of a website called Davidstea.com that sells a variety of dessert-flavored teas, but unfortunately they're a little pricey :(
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited February 2016

Aha - now it's becoming more clear. Are you already at a healthy weight or do you still need to lose some?

If the former, as long as you're getting enough nutrients your snacking is not hurting you. It's a better fitness regimen that'll help with body composition.

If the latter, then snacking is hurting you if it interferes with staying at your calorie limit or with getting enough nutrition. But again, a better fitness regimen is really what you need for body composition. And of course it will improve some as the few extra pounds drop.

Essentially, you need some form of strength training. Ask for help in the fitness forum, you'll get more suggestions for how to get started. And don't call it 'toning'. That's one of the fitness buzzwords that doesn't really mean anything and will draw some push-back. You want to lower your %body fat.

ETA: Eh, I should have qualified - by hurting you I meant your body composition goal. Obviously, if you want to cut down on sugar because you feel you eat it too often that's a separate issue. I'd suggest posting in the recipe forum and asking for dessert recipes with less sugar. If you put that you just want to cut back some, you should be able to avoid a repeat of the Q and A here.