Most stupid exercise thing you ever did

Options

Replies

• maranarasauce93
    maranarasauce93 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I was an a--hole at the gym and did this:

I wanted to reset the jhooks so I could more easily do lift offs for my bench press. But like a dumb butt, I only unloaded the plates on one side of the bar prior to doing so. I was going to try to be a hero and clean the bar to the rack, but that wasn't a good idea considering that weight was distributed on the bar unevenly!!! So I carefully tried to take off the plates from the other side without dropping them. Luckily nothing dropped/no equipment was damaged. But shhiii I looked like an idiot!

• antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Stupidest exercise thing I ever did? This:
    https://youtu.be/UqZ7grNqlk8

It was my mom's video. Early 90s? Late 80s? Gawd.

Same here LoL
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    Equus5374 wrote: »
    Nobody will admit to buying a Shake Weight?? I didn't, but I did buy one of those exercise trampolines. It was fun, but not much in the way of exercise and nearly a broken ankle more than once.
    I haven't bought a ShakeWeight, but borrowed one from a friend, and really liked it, except that I once pushed through 30 minutes of TV time as opposed to the recommended 6 minute workout mentioned on the package.
  • Helloidentitycrisis
    Options
    The stupidest thing I ever did was the workout my Academy gym teacher suggested to us!
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    The stupidest thing I've ever done in a workout setting is a tie between four events:
    1. I thought I'd be safe riding a horse outside on a very uneven trail, because I had three adults supervising. I wanted to cry!
    2. I'm pretty sure my hamstrings are on the brink of tearing, as hard as PTs stretched them in early childhood. I also have every reason to believe that well-meaning people would stand/press full body weight on my knees while I lay on my back, or force my toes to touch the ground from my prone position on my bed if it were ethical to do so, to deepen the stretch/muscle injury!
    3. One of them also advised that I wear a TENS unit, cranked up to full intensity, on my knees to get those muscles working. Bad idea!
    4. Basically, it was really stupid of me to trust PTs with my lame legs, because every last one of them has taken full advantage of me!
    Moral of the story: Do not trust physical therapists unless they involve you in your treatment.
  • hlwick12
    hlwick12 Posts: 135 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Tried to read the newspaper (obviously years ago ;) ) while on the treadmill - stepped wrong, fell onto the belt, and got thrown right off the back of the machine. Luckily this was in my dad's basement, and nobody saw it :)
  • ashleyylo
    ashleyylo Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Several lessons learned in one embarrassing, humbling and mean move.

I was meetings boyfriends mom and sister after work to see a movie. I decided that I would walk to the mall from work since i had time and it would help counter act the popcorn.

I didn't have proper shoes but thought it would be fine to walk there in my boots. Fashion boots. It's wasn't super far, but probably over an hour of walking.

My boyfriends mom called me when I was partway there and I informed her I was walking and she asked if I needed a ride, etc, exclaiming that it was a far walk. Because i am a hero, I declined. I then proceeded to send a snarky text to my friend about people thinking walking was so hard, essentially being a snob about exercise. Except that instead of sending the text to my friend, I sent it to my boyfriends mom. It was an obvious hit at her.

By the time I got to the mall I could barley walk and had to buy myself a pair of slippers to make it any further. And of course face my boyfriends mom and apologize.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    ashleyylo wrote: »

I was meetings boyfriends mom and sister after work to see a movie. I decided that I would walk to the mall from work since i had time and it would help counter act the popcorn.

I didn't have proper shoes but thought it would be fine to walk there in my boots. Fashion boots. It's wasn't super far, but probably over an hour of walking.

My boyfriends mom called me when I was partway there and I informed her I was walking and she asked if I needed a ride, etc, exclaiming that it was a far walk. Because i am a hero, I declined. I then proceeded to send a snarky text to my friend about people thinking walking was so hard, essentially being a snob about exercise. Except that instead of sending the text to my friend, I sent it to my boyfriends mom. It was an obvious hit at her.

By the time I got to the mall I could barley walk and had to buy myself a pair of slippers to make it any further. And of course face my boyfriends mom and apologize.

This might be my favorite one so far. Did you keep the boyfriend?
  • ashleyylo
    ashleyylo Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »

This might be my favorite one so far. Did you keep the boyfriend?

Hahah yes I did! He was pretty mad at me though.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,036 Member
    Options
    I bought the first-generation electro-ab belt in college, the one where you lie back and let the belt give you a six-pack while you watch tv. Pure money-sink. (I did have a 6-pack in college, but certainly not because of this device, and certainly not now!)
  • tcatcarson
    tcatcarson Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Decided to "go for it" on a rowing machine. Blacked out on the changing room toilet floor for a bit...
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Doing goblet squats as part of a tabata routine, but I didn't have a stop watch. So I figured about 15 squats would be the correct time. Finished the routine which amounted to around 100+ squats in the end. Couldn't walk the next day.
    When I was finally able to redo the routine I found out I was getting about 5 squats in the set time, not 15.
    Always remember to take a stop watch if you are doing a routine which is time based!
  • UG77
    UG77 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Stopped working out.
  • JellyBelly1978
    JellyBelly1978 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    despite not working out for over a year, went gung-ho and did an hour long workout with a toning cord.
    The next day I couldn't bend my legs without crying out in pain, but insisted on going to work. My fiance drove me and about half-way there I suddenly/belatedly realized there was no way I could survive an 8-hour shift on my feet.
    The embarrassment of calling my manager and telling her what I had done was made worse by her relaying it to the entire shop!
  • BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    In my early twenties, I ran so much that I gave myself a brutal case of tendonitis in both feet. I would run 1-2 times a day for an hour or more. Add to that an hour and a half trot to work and back 5 days a week, ignoring the shooting pains in my feet, and cramming my feet into my shoes when they were too swollen to fit properly... of course, it wasn't long before I was limping into doctor's office in sandals. I was told that I could cool it on crutches for a few weeks or count on needing surgery down the road. I didn't stay on the crutches for terribly long, but I behaved myself for the most part and it sorted itself!
  • KrystinaMTL
    KrystinaMTL Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »

LOL !!
    Oh my, thanks for that !
    There are quite a few lessons in there !
    I'll take 'em all !
  • ovidnine
    ovidnine Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Here's another stupid thing I did: Entered a mountain bike race with zero real training.

1998, Crested Butte Fat Tire Festival. I was 18 and had been working at a camp in Colorado and a bunch of my friends were riding it. I'm from Illinois and am a roadie. I'd been doing some mountain biking, but I'm not a great bike handler.

First day was a crit, pretty simple. I think it was 2x around a 1 mile course. Did ok as it wasn't technical at all. 2nd day was 10 miles. My age group started in a massive pack and a guy in front of me went down and so I just sorta rode over his bike (I hope it was just his bike) as I had nowhere to go.

Got out on the course and holy crap. It wasn't technical for a real mt. biker but for me, LOL! I bit it a bunch of times the best being flying over a berm at good speed, landing, not being able to make a corner and launching off the trail. As I'm lying there the lead female pro zips past and asks if I'm ok. I sheepishly replied yes.

I finally made it to the end and my proud moment of the day was beating the 12 year old kid on the rigid Cannondale. I couldn't breath, I was bruised and sore and pretty embarrassed. But I still sorta had fun I think.

I like to pretend I did.
  • tifftaffy
    tifftaffy Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Prancercise

LOL best ever.

I'm also guilty of trying out the Thighmaster. I try to stay away from gimmicks like that from now on.
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I decided to try one of those dance away the pounds videos. The instructor showed the first step and I repeated it. She showed the first and added the second step, I repeated it. She showed the first three steps. I got my legs all crossed up, tripped and fell face first onto the floor. Thank goodness I was at home where no one could see my embarrassment. I never used the video again.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Cardio.

Ugh, what was I thinking?

:wink: