I swear my metabolism knew when I turned 40 and shut down.

Options
I'm not particularly heavy, but I need to lose a few pounds and I'll admit that I feel MUCH better when I exercise. But holy cow it got harder!! It seems like the first time I did this i all went according to plan. Now I can run a 5k without a problem but the weight doesn't come down like it used to. Guess I better do a better job on that food log. UGH!!! Just thought I'd complain....

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    welcome to the other side.
  • Lee_Fitnesspla
    Lee_Fitnesspla Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Yep. I feel your pain. Having the same problem here. Takes twice as much energy to lose the weight and there's no wiggle room for bad food choices. Ugh is right!
  • ModernRock
    ModernRock Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    There's an estimated 100 calorie difference in BMR between 20 and 40 year old 5'5" 145 pounds females. (1430 versus 1330).
  • steph124ny
    steph124ny Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Now if I could just get the creepy guy at the gym to stop staring at me when I run on the treadmill... LMAO!!!
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    steph124ny wrote: »
    I'm not particularly heavy, but I need to lose a few pounds and I'll admit that I feel MUCH better when I exercise. But holy cow it got harder!! It seems like the first time I did this i all went according to plan. Now I can run a 5k without a problem but the weight doesn't come down like it used to. Guess I better do a better job on that food log. UGH!!! Just thought I'd complain....

Wait until you're 42, 44, 46, 48, 50, 52, 54 - it does not get any easier, trust me.

Stay diligent and take CHARGE! It's your body and you only get one of them.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I crossed 40 with a six pack. Yes, our metabolisms do slow down as we age, but not nearly as much as we would all like to believe. The vast majority of the weight gain is caused by too much food and not enough exercise. That can be fixed.
  • NATURE_OUTDOOR_GIRL
    Options

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

Wait until you're 42, 44, 46, 48, 50, 52, 54 - it does not get any easier, trust me.

I turn 54 this year, have lost 29 pounds (and counting) since August. Apparently my metabolism didn't get the memo.
  • steph124ny
    Options
    20 pounds.... just 20 pounds. I can do it.
  • NATURE_OUTDOOR_GIRL
    Options
    I have always been very active. Even though I ran 20 -25 miles a week, I gradually put on extra weight even though I was counting calories and eating salads and skipping meals. I finally had enough and changed my nutrition. I started having 2 meal replacement shakes a day and I started losing weight. I couldn't believe it. I am 48. I then added nutritional cleansing one day a month and I even lost more. I have put one lean muscle and I feel so energetic! Best health decision I have made for myself. My nutrition is not a diet but a lifestyle for me. I have kept the weight off for a year!!!
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    True! I had to approach it differently than when I was younger.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

I turn 54 this year, have lost 29 pounds (and counting) since August. Apparently my metabolism didn't get the memo.

There's other memo's you missed, too.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options

my metabolism did get the memo but I tore it up and threw it in the garbage
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options

my metabolism did get the memo but I tore it up and threw it in the garbage

Bahaha hilarious! In ten years I hope to be doing the same thing too!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    IDK...my lifestyle is what caught up with me...too much sitting around...too much beer and wine...too much smoking...cooking too much awesome food in my kitchen with waaaayyyyy too much butter and cream...with everything...even my green peas.

Get rollin' OP...once you do, you'll soon realize that you got this just fine. I'm 41 and a far cry better off right now than pretty much anytime in my 30s. In a sense it's more work because when I was younger I was just more active in general...now I sit at a desk all day so I have to make that concerted effort to move...but yeah, taking back my life (just a few years ago I had the blood work of a 60 year old +) has been the best thing I've ever done. All of my blood work is optimal and I'm a lean, mean, cycling machine these days.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    Mine slowed down around 50. I eat about half of what I did in my 40s and I'm just maintaining, not losing, yet I'm just as active.
  • steph124ny
    Options
    I'm on my feet a lot at work and I lift heavy things (I'm a funeral director....LOL!!!) and I started back on the workout path last summer.I went from total couch potato to being able to complete 5 ks without too much whining. I'm up to about a 10 minute mile which I'm proud of. Bu my diet just sucks and I'm working on it.
  • LivLovLrn
    LivLovLrn Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I think part of the problem is that we still eat like we are teenagers/early 20's and expect the same results...our bodies just can't take that any more LOL
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I'm on my feet a lot at work and I lift heavy things (I'm a funeral director....LOL!!!) and I started back on the workout path last summer.I went from total couch potato to being able to complete 5 ks without too much whining. I'm up to about a 10 minute mile which I'm proud of. Bu my diet just sucks and I'm working on it.

So it's how much you're putting in your mouth and not your metabolism, which has been pointed out, hasn't slowed that significantly since your 20s. Lose the excuses and the weight will follow (harsh I know but true, everyone who wants to lose weight goes through it).
  • lizlemon4
    lizlemon4 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Think of all the non-scale accomplishments your making. You are exercising more, trying to eat better. I'm pretty sure your heart, lungs, and every little cell in your body are thanking you for that much. Ditch the soda (EVEN DIET) ditch the fast food. Start eating tons of fruits and veggies, drink more water. It takes work and determination ( I had to turn down pizza and a krispy kreme donut this week ) but its all worth it. you can do this!!! :smiley: and yes I am 40!! :