Protein pre or post workout or else?

Options

Replies

• Teemo
    Teemo Posts: 338
    Options
    I figured the 'dat dere cell tech' was a dead giveaway.

Aware.

What gave me away?
  • mynameisuntz
    mynameisuntz Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    What gave me away?
    Nothing until the aware.

You should represent by changing your avi to your body with your face replaced with bertstare.jpg.
  • Teemo
    Options
    What gave me away?
    Nothing until the aware.

You should represent by changing your avi to your body with your face replaced with bertstare.jpg.

I try to legitimately help people here but it's like fighting the tide sometimes. I've completely stopped posting in high-reps to tone threads.
  • mynameisuntz
    Options
    I try to legitimately help people here but it's like fighting the tide sometimes. I've completely stopped posting in high-reps to tone threads.
    Surprising to see a misker trying to legitimately help people! I'm more from the nutrition section ;]
  • Teemo
    Options
    Surprising to see a misker trying to legitimately help people! I'm more from the nutrition section ;]

From Nutrition? Then MFP must drive you crazy... I just started reading the Carbs - friend or foe? thread and lol. Also, I like it here, the food tracking is pretty easy to use and makes it easy to track macros (albeit a little loosely). And the people are pretty friendly and supportive -- sometimes too much so.

Ironically, I'm occasionally considered a troll here.
  • mynameisuntz
    Options
    From Nutrition? Then MFP must drive you crazy... I just started reading the Carbs - friend or foe? thread and lol. Also, I like it here, the food tracking is pretty easy to use and makes it easy to track macros (albeit a little loosely). And the people are pretty friendly and supportive -- sometimes too much so.

Ironically, I'm occasionally considered a troll here.
    It sure does. It's funny how the nutrition section is just this giant wealth of information where the majority of its users support science and have really turned against "traditional thought" in the nutrition/bodybuilding community; the minority still subscribes to broscience. Whereas here it's the opposite of that setup.

Stop reading. Just do yourself a favor and stop reading that thread. It will hurt your brain.

Haha, oh sweet irony. Do you troll the misk? I post pretty infrequently in that section, I more peruse it for the lolz.
  • Teemo
    Options
    It sure does. It's funny how the nutrition section is just this giant wealth of information where the majority of its users support science and have really turned against "traditional thought" in the nutrition/bodybuilding community; the minority still subscribes to broscience. Whereas here it's the opposite of that setup.

Not surprising. The majority of people still, understandably, get their information from Men's Health or blogs. And the blogs don't exactly keep up to date on nutritional developments...
    Stop reading. Just do yourself a favor and stop reading that thread. It will hurt your brain.

Too late -- just finished, and I literally busted out laughing every other post. I loved the part where basically:

Batman+and+Joker+Diet+Discussion.jpg
    Haha, oh sweet irony. Do you troll the misk? I post pretty infrequently in that section, I more peruse it for the lolz.

Sometimes, but I try to be a legitimate poster everywhere I go. When I troll I troll obviously although I somehow missed the mark in that paleo thread.
  • mynameisuntz
    Options
    Not surprising. The majority of people still, understandably, get their information from Men's Health or blogs. And the blogs don't exactly keep up to date on nutritional developments...
    Yeah, it's tough to convince people that mainstream magazines and books aren't proper sources of evidence when they have little concept of science and subsequently hold those sources of "information" on a pedestal :\

Too late -- just finished, and I literally busted out laughing every other post. I loved the part where basically:

Batman+and+Joker+Diet+Discussion.jpg
    Classic photo is classic.
    Sometimes, but I try to be a legitimate poster everywhere I go. When I troll I troll obviously although I somehow missed the mark in that paleo thread.
    The misc is just so bad for nutritional information. I've seen people talking about GI on there like it's necessary in a diet. I was taken aback by that, even for the misc that's pretty crazy.

Do you ever frequent the nutrition section or not so much?
  • Teemo
    Options
    Do you ever frequent the nutrition section or not so much?

For information, but not to post very frequently. Especially when I have little to add to conversations -- I am unashamedly an Aragon/Berkhan follower, and while I independently research hotly/newly contested topics to develop my own opinion I'm happy to trust in their critiques.
  • mynameisuntz
    Options
    For information, but not to post very frequently. Especially when I have little to add to conversations -- I am unashamedly an Aragon/Berkhan follower, and while I independently research hotly/newly contested topics to develop my own opinion I'm happy to trust in their critiques.
    Haha, right. I know how that goes. Hence me seeking greener pastures. Aragon is active enough in those forums where it's pointless to give input since he's bound to show up in most of the good threads. If you're active enough to the point of being familiar and make him laugh, though, you'll get some mod reps ;]
  • Teemo
    Options
    Haha, right. I know how that goes. Hence me seeking greener pastures. Aragon is active enough in those forums where it's pointless to give input since he's bound to show up in most of the good threads. If you're active enough to the point of being familiar and make him laugh, though, you'll get some mod reps ;]

Aragon reps would just make my week.

Anyway, good to have you here. I try to get in on help threads early on before all the other stuff comes though lately I've found myself wondering if a little bit of structure, even if misinformed, is still better than none. I mean: 6 meals per day to stoke the metabolic fire and restrictive diets and no carbs after 6:00 p.m. and protein pre/post... none of that is necessary or genuine. But it gives people something to shoot for whereas IIFYM or IF sort of leaves them in the dark without a proper plan.

That's also why I'm not as down on paleo as I used to be. Sure, some of the more grandiose claims are laughable but it's still healthier than not having a plan and eating cookies and ice cream every night.
  • mynameisuntz
    Options
    Aragon reps would just make my week.

Anyway, good to have you here. I try to get in on help threads early on before all the other stuff comes though lately I've found myself wondering if a little bit of structure, even if misinformed, is still better than none. I mean: 6 meals per day to stoke the metabolic fire and restrictive diets and no carbs after 6:00 p.m. and protein pre/post... none of that is necessary or genuine. But it gives people something to shoot for whereas IIFYM or IF sort of leaves them in the dark without a proper plan.

That's also why I'm not as down on paleo as I used to be. Sure, some of the more grandiose claims are laughable but it's still healthier than not having a plan and eating cookies and ice cream every night.
    Hey it's happened twice to me in the last 6-8 weeks or so! Just post more :P

I can see that as being the case. I guess part of me has always felt like restriction can lead to issues in terms of sticking with a plan long-term. Too many rules = likelier chance of breaking one of those rules = chance of emotional breakdown due to getting off track. It's tough to figure out who will respond better to more restriction and who will respond better to less.

Glad to be in good company!
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Just a reminder to please keep posts on topic. Try not to hijack the thread. :smile:

Thanks for your cooperation.
    Ladyhawk00
    MyFitnessPal Forum Moderator
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    You should take about 20 grams of carbs about twenty to thirty minutes before your work out. Examples of this may be an apple, a piece of bread, etc. You should take about 20-30 grams of protein within a half an hour of your workout.

Don't listen to a lot of the guidelines supplement companies will give you. GNC's Wheybolic 60 will tell you to use three scoops per serving for 60 grams of protein. Save yourself the money (and the gastric distress) and use one scoop.

No matter what the supplement companies say (remember, they're trying to sell you things), your body cannot metabolize more than 30 grams of protein at a time unless you're a hulking 300 lb bodybuilder.

Not quite true. You're correct about protein companies being shady and trying to sell you their product. However, the protein limit myth is being debunked daily. You can start by reading here:

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/is-there-a-limit-to-how-much-protein-the-body-can-use-in-a-single-meal/

edit: Notice the references in his article, that's the important stuff

thx for the link to this article...and it was refreshing to see actual scientific citations in the references ;)
  • abtruse1
    abtruse1 Posts: 13
    Options

But isn't Aragon a regular contributor to Mens health magazine? I thought him to be a very trusted name in the sports nutrition field?
  • mynameisuntz
    Options
    But isn't Aragon a regular contributor to Mens health magazine? I thought him to be a very trusted name in the sports nutrition field?
    He does contribute every few months, and he'd still be one of the first to tell you that they perpetuate myths in the realm of nutrition and fitness ;]
  • abtruse1
    abtruse1 Posts: 13
    Options
    He does contribute every few months, and he'd still be one of the first to tell you that they perpetuate myths in the realm of nutrition and fitness ;]

where would you suggest the best sources for nutritional information then?
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I drink a protein shake right after working out - especially if I do strength training.

I try and eat my my body weight in grams of protein a day (I usually average between 150-200g)
  • mynameisuntz
    Options
    where would you suggest the best sources for nutritional information then?
    1) Pubmed.com + Google Scholar for finding peer-reviewed, scientific studies.

2) AARR - Alan Aragon Research Review. Subscribe for $10 per month, and you have access to *hundreds* of scientific studies that have been critiqued by Alan. I can't stress enough how valuable this is and how worth it this is. Honestly, while I probably *shouldn't* say this, you could pay $10, download everything Alan has critiqued in the last 2 years (in the form of pdf files), then end your subscription and you would have hundreds of scientific studies in the fields of exercise and nutrition critiqued by one of the authorities of the field all for $10. It's something everyone should seriously consider investing in. He comes out with a new review every single month - each review has 3-4 reviewed studies along with other "goodies" and write-ups.

3) Lyle McDonald's site bodyrecomposition.com is a great, free site.

4) The bodybuilding.com nutrition section, in my opinion, is a wealth of free information. Lots of very knowledgeable posters, including Alan Aragon. And no, you do NOT have to be a bodybuilder in order to gain something from that section.
  • cutelashawn
    cutelashawn Posts: 182
    Options
    All great information, thank you much!

I usually workout in the morning around 7 right before work. I go for at least an hour but it usually lasts for 1:45 (sometimes 2) with heavy lifting followed by a 30 minute run

If you are working out that early in the morning then your best bet is to take 2 scoops of BCAA's before you workout, that should give u the energy and the amino acids to workout in a fsted state. If you want more information on that go to leangains.com or bodybuilding.com. I always workout in a fasted state and take BCAA's to get me through my workout