I want to give up

Options

Replies

• mommazach
    mommazach Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Never give in. This is YOUR fight. Biggest change is the mentality. Search Pinterest for recipes. Drink Water. Take your body weight in lbs, divide in half, and drink that many ounces of water a day. Eat a ton of high fiber veggies, and load with protein. You'll also need to find motivating people as friends. Add the folks who are there to support you. Losing weight alone SUCKS. And Never EVER weigh daily. Once a week, or after the first 10 days. It's your fight. Make it count.
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Patience and perseverance, even when you don't think you can stand doing this another moment. That is the only way through. Six pounds weight gain is probably tied to water weight, if you started exercising, your muscles tear and repair, the process causes water to be retained. Check your sodium levels, my opinion would be to check your preservatives and processed foods as well. Eat, don't starve yourself. Measure yourself too because there will be plateaus and you will be frustrated but when you see the inches coming off, you will still feel worth it.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    The thing that disappointed me was gaining weight when I knew I wasn't eating in excess of my MFP calorie goal. It turned out in every case that I was having my sodium go way over the MFP goal. Excess sodium of 400mg can add 2lb of water retention. Open your food diary and let us see what you've been eating. Be complete and truthful. The point is to get help from the community, and the help you are asking for requires that we know what you've been eating.
  • ames105
    Options
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    Are you looking to actually get fit or for instant gratification? These are mutually exclusive

Not very supportive and actually condescending to a newbie. Someone frustrated after two days might just need a few words of encouragement. Or, they might see your message and give up. Your mindset is completely different than a person just starting out. It might do you good to remember that.
  • BrandyGanus
    BrandyGanus Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    First of all, what is your "diet"? What are you eating and how much are you exercising? These factor into losing weight. Try not to restrict yourself too much or you will lose steam. You want this to be sustainable, not impossible.

Second, try not to weigh yourself very often. I'm doing it once a month but you could do it once every two or three weeks.
  • samanthachen
    samanthachen Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for that feeling. I know most of us can say that we've been there. Since you've only been at this for a couple of days, my guess is water weight. In case part of the gain isn't water though, make sure you are using a food scale to prevent guessing, and that will make you more confident that you are not going over your allotted calories.

Also, if you have started up any new exercise, you can see excess water retention as your muscles repair themselves. Give yourself time.

I just woke up, and I haven't finished my morning coffee yet, so someone may have already said each thing I'm bringing up, but I noticed that you have an interesting user name. If it was just a joke, then read no further. However, if you really aren't ready for this, you might need to start slowly. Find something you enjoy doing. For me, finding an exercise I actually enjoy kicks up my desire to lose weight. Then I can start calorie counting.

Most importantly, you have to be ready and want to do this. It is a lot of work, and there will be many times it is discouraging. If you are not wanting/ready to be here, those times will easily walk all over you.

You've got this! Good luck!
  • butterflylady86
    butterflylady86 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    This is long process. Give your body time to adjust. Your on the right path. One pound at a time Good luck to you :)
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    ames105 wrote: »
    Are you looking to actually get fit or for instant gratification? These are mutually exclusive

Not very supportive and actually condescending to a newbie. Someone frustrated after two days might just need a few words of encouragement. Or, they might see your message and give up. Your mindset is completely different than a person just starting out. It might do you good to remember that.

I respond to candid advice, I don't place any value on sugar coating and coddling; maybe the OP does as well, if not, maybe she likes your responses better. When you ask for advice on a message board, you invite all opinions, from all different viewpoints.
  • zalmann919
    zalmann919 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Many of us make the same mistake, which is considering a single scale reading important. It isn't. Science says that your body weight can fluctuate a great deal for a number of reasons, as so many have already pointed out. What you need is more knowledge, and to develop a strategy for understanding how to evaluate your progress.. Have a look at this article by Dick Talens, all about scales and understanding what they mean. Hope that helps.
  • CarboUnload
    CarboUnload Posts: 30 Member
    Options

THIS IS IT. I am a tough love kind of person and this is exactly what someone like me would need to hear. Thanks for being a voice of reason.
  • cmoorofum
    cmoorofum Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I've thought about giving up also but after weighing in today I lost 1 pound and Ive been doing this dieting thing for at least a month now. This small accomplishments make me still strive. Don't give up after 2days that's no time. Keep trying and make sure you log everything you eat and when you see on the graph your weight change you will be so happy you didn't give up!
  • ames105
    Options

I respond to candid advice, I don't place any value on sugar coating and coddling; maybe the OP does as well, if not, maybe she likes your responses better. When you ask for advice on a message board, you invite all opinions, from all different viewpoints.

By all means, express your viewpoint, give your knowledge to someone who might use it. However, you're looking at a person on the edge, who is in the bad mental circle of self hate, we eat for comfort, gain weight and hate ourselves for it. To lose it looks quite overwhelming.

Your need to not sugar coat may work for you but what in your mind makes you think a person in this bad mindset is going to respond to it? That's ignorant and VERY condescending. As was your response to me. Shows me you CAN'T put yourself into that mindset of someone starting out so go share your knowledge with someone on the other end of the weight loss spectrum. It's not helpful here.
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options

I don' t actually know or interact with the person you quoted, but there's so much "poor baby" therapy on MFP that people forget it isn't the only way.

If that post makes her quit she isn't ready. I have a lot of hope for the OP because she asked for advice on what she's doing "wrong" instead of "please give me motivation."

OP, you might not be doing anything wrong. Give it a couple of weeks, read some of these, and stick it out. If you still want to quit, try increasing your calories instead. Even a half pound of weight loss a week will get you to your goal eventually.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

By all means, express your viewpoint, give your knowledge to someone who might use it. However, you're looking at a person on the edge, who is in the bad mental circle of self hate, we eat for comfort, gain weight and hate ourselves for it. To lose it looks quite overwhelming.

Your need to not sugar coat may work for you but what in your mind makes you think a person in this bad mindset is going to respond to it? That's ignorant and VERY condescending. As was your response to me. Shows me you CAN'T put yourself into that mindset of someone starting out so go share your knowledge with someone on the other end of the weight loss spectrum. It's not helpful here.

It is very ignorant and condescending to think we must all approach life in conformance to your philosophy .

I have worked with hundreds of people over the years to help them lose weight through initiatives in a corporate wellness environment, and my approach has been very well received. Most of the people who need help exist in an environment surrounded by enablers who just want to make them feel better in their current state of unhealthiness, they certainly don't need more people joining that crowd.

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Two days and ready to quit along with a user name that implies you were ready to quit before you even started.... if you think you can't do it you're correct. However I'm pretty sure with an attitude change you'd have a lot more success. The thing is you have to decide if you're willing to commit to it or not. Maybe it isn't your time yet, but you've taken the first step and started so how about giving it a chance?
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options

How are you able to judge OP's mental state with a two-sentence original post? How do you know OP is on the edge? In the bad mental circle of self hate? Eating for comfort? Because I read they had been at it for two days and had gained weight.
  • chief3202
    chief3202 Posts: 41 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Hey, do not give up. We are all here to support you.. I love junk food, especially cakes, cookies and donuts. I was a cop for 20 years. (lol) After I watched the series on TLC, 600 lb life, I closely looked in the mirror and realized I had a weight problem. I am hooked on that show and it inspires me to continue with this diet. As of today, I lost 30 lbs. If I can do it, I know you can too. It is all in the mind and keeping yourself busy doing something will help your cravings.

Eventually, your body will tell you when to eat and your stomach will adjust. The weight will start coming off in a matter of weeks.

Good luck and I am rooting for you.
    Dean
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options

Too much conjecturing here.

And why all the talk about "mindsets" and how the poster you've so vehemently reacted to "CAN'T" put himself into the mindset of someone starting out? It starts to read like a bunch of gibberish...

The fact is: getting & staying fit is a completely different endeavor than seeking instant gratification. Even if the truth hurts, it is still ultimately freeing.

• Ani2bfit
    Ani2bfit Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    c2zvt9lrmg3i.jpg
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

That's a really big stretch in to what the OPs mental state is.

OP, when I started again this last time, I wasn't really ready, but I knew I wanted something different from where I was. I decided to just start logging each day. No pressure. The good, the bad, the ugly. It all went in there. As I tracked, I noticed patterns in hunger and satiety based on my balance of foods. Proteins, fats, veggies. I also noticed differences in energy levels when I consumed enough (1200 calories was miserable for me). I also knew from past experience that working out helped me make more healthful choices in my foods. I wanted to fuel my workouts. I also didn't want to feel like I was on a diet. Increasing my calories, and ensuring that I had a treat when I wanted one, helped in making these changes more manageable.

We don't have a lot of information to go off of, based on what you have given us. How many calories are you eating each day (are you trying to be too aggressive, this can make you miserable)? Are you using a food scale (weighing is much more accurate)? Did you start a new workout routine (this can create water retention, so the scale says you've gained when it's really just extra water)? How much are you trying to lose (is your goal too aggressive)? Are you close to TOM (again, water retention)? Did you weigh at the same time each day (I find that I am 3-4lbs heavier at night)? Did you weigh on the same scale (different scales can be significantly different)?

Take some measurements and some pictures as well. I can tell you that when I look in the mirror, I do not think I look 46lbs lighter, but when I compare pictures from start to now, there is a very obvious difference. The scale lies to us, our eyes are deceptive to us. Having additional metrics will be valuable.

@notready520

ETA: Any time the scale shows this big of a jump, I assume water weight. Your weight will fluctuate daily, but if it's from TOM, it will be back down in a week. If it's from too much sodium yesterday, it will be back down in a few days. If it's from a new workout routine, it may take several weeks. Keep at it and trust the process. Have some more patience though. It works, it just takes time.