Feeling Disappointed - Gave up Pepsi

Options
I used to drink about 4 20oz Pepsi's a day, if not more. I gave up Pepsi on February 1st and my stomach has not changed one bit. I was really hope to see my stomach go down from giving up the soda. I am going to continue to give up Pepsi for another month and I hope to see some positive changes.

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    you wont lose weight by giving up one thing.

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I gave up soda about 2 years ago. It didn't affect my weight, health or body size in any way whatsoever. I know they do say though the weight will just fly off the second you quit but it certainly wasn't my experience.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i quit drinking dr pepper long before actively trying to lose weight.

ZERO difference.
  • GymRatSF
    GymRatSF Posts: 8,903 Member
    Options
    Not enough information but my first question would be did you simply replace the calories from Pepsi with something else so you are still getting the same amount of total calories?
  • seekingdaintiness
    seekingdaintiness Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    You only lose weight by cutting your calories. Sorry but the whole "some foods are evvvviiil" clean eating nonsense is just that. Enjoy your Pepsi in moderation while cutting your overall calories and working out more and you will see results.
  • sherrifoster123
    sherrifoster123 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Have you replaced that with something else with the same amount of calories?
  • BrandyGanus
    BrandyGanus Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Dropping soda from your diet will not necessarily affect your weight.

What else are you doing to lose weight?
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    That is a lot of calories you did drop from your diet each day. It doesn't mean you are eating at a deficit yet, but it is probably a very good habit to break and will help you in the future when you find what else you need to do. Are you logging your calories from everything you eat?

At the very least 4 20 oz pepsi's a day is at least 1000 calories a day .... 7000 calories a week, which at best would mean 2 pounds lost a week if you weren't overating to start.

Also you may not notice any differences unless you are actually measuring. Often we don't notice our own weight loss.
  • shannie018
    shannie018 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have made sure to replace my Pepsi with water. I have my coffee each day like I used to but not in place of the Pepsi. I am also aiming to walk an hour each day during my lunch, I haven't been able to due to the weather here in Michigan but I have done it at least 3 days a week.
  • BrandyGanus
    BrandyGanus Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Walking 3 hours a week is amazing! Good job! I know that's tough!

Keep in mind that depending on how quickly you walk, you only burn 200 (2mph) to 400 (4mph) calories in one hour. So that's a total of 600 - 1200 calories per week. To lose 1 pound, you should burn 3500 calories (about 3500 calories = 1 lb fat). So, at your current workout, you will reach 3500 calories after 6 weeks (based on the 2mph speed) or 3 weeks (4mph).

I was walking 3.5 mph for one hour twice a week and was worried because I wanted to see results quickly. So I changed my work out to 30 minutes of This Video along with 20 bicycle crunches (3 sets), 30 second plank (3 sets), 20 cherry pickers (3 sets). I've had great results!

What is your diet like? And when I say diet, I mean, what are you eating regularly? Your diet is a huge factor in losing weight. It's not just about the calories: if you eat too much of one thing (carbs, protein, fat, sugar), the excess is converted into fat. So making sure these areas are also within their limits is helpful!
  • xXxWhitneyxXx
    xXxWhitneyxXx Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I didn't see a big change after I gave up soda either, I did start sleeping better but nothing weight related. It takes a bit more sacrifice than that to get into shape/lose weight. If it was as simple as not drinking soda, more people would be fit/thin. Keep up the good work though, I know giving up soda isn't easy.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    80 oz of Pepsi? Or was that a typo?

• rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Typically you won't notice a difference just from dropping one thing, because you'll end up eating slightly more elsewhere and make up for it. That's why calorie counting works - you know you aren't making up for it elsewhere.

You can always go to diet pepsi / pepsi max. Pepsi Max actually tastes pretty good for a diet soda.
  • shannie018
    shannie018 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Right now, I have started calorie counting and MFP has me at 1,200 calories. It's a lot harder than I thought it would be. It seems those numbers add up quickly.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Walking 3 hours a week is amazing! Good job! I know that's tough!

Keep in mind that depending on how quickly you walk, you only burn 200 (2mph) to 400 (4mph) calories in one hour. So that's a total of 600 - 1200 calories per week. To lose 1 pound, you should burn 3500 calories (about 3500 calories = 1 lb fat). So, at your current workout, you will reach 3500 calories after 6 weeks (based on the 2mph speed) or 3 weeks (4mph).

I was walking 3.5 mph for one hour twice a week and was worried because I wanted to see results quickly. So I changed my work out to 30 minutes of This Video along with 20 bicycle crunches (3 sets), 30 second plank (3 sets), 20 cherry pickers (3 sets). I've had great results!

What is your diet like? And when I say diet, I mean, what are you eating regularly? Your diet is a huge factor in losing weight. It's not just about the calories: if you eat too much of one thing (carbs, protein, fat, sugar), the excess is converted into fat. So making sure these areas are also within their limits is helpful!

Not true. For fat loss, it is all about the calories. If you eat too many (more than maintenance), the excess is converted to fat. It doesn't matter if you eat a lot of fat or protein or carbs so long as you stay in your calorie limit.

That said, obviously a balanced diet is important for health and macro balance definitely impacts satiety, diet adherence and body composition.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,976 Member
    Options
    Giving up Pepsi will only help if drinking it is what puts you over your calorie goal. You can still drink Pepsi if you want. You might just not be able to drink as much of it as you did before. 1200 is hard to stick to. If you exercise you need to eat back at least half of your exercise calories. This is especially important if you are only eating 1200 calories a day.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

Absolutely, positively false. If you are in a caloric deficit there is no net fat storage regardless of substrate proportioning. If that were the case, every vegan and keto dieter in the world would be clinically obese.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    shannie018 wrote: »
    I used to drink about 4 20oz Pepsi's a day, if not more. I gave up Pepsi on February 1st and my stomach has not changed one bit. I was really hope to see my stomach go down from giving up the soda. I am going to continue to give up Pepsi for another month and I hope to see some positive changes.

Don't go back. While giving up just Pepsi might not be enough for you to lose weight, it certainly helps you to keep from being over calories and gaining more.

For example, if your ideal calories for a day to lose 1 pound per week was 1500, to maintain is 2000, but you were taking in over 3000 each day, cutting out 2 20oz Pepsi would reduce that by approx. 1000 down to 2000, but that would just be maintaining. That said, along with cutting those empty calories from the Pepsi (which is an EXCELLENT start, so kudos) a few other changes might just do the trick. You just need to track everything and make sure you have dialed in your daily calories.
  • treehopper1987
    treehopper1987 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    A long time ago I gave up Coke, but replaced it with Dt. Coke. I lost about 50 lbs over a long time. However, it is all about calorie deficit. If you are simply replacing those calories, you will not see a difference. Also, I would suggest exercise, and not just ab exercises. This will help tighten up any muscles and may help you lose the inches that you want to see gone.
  • rosecropper
    rosecropper Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Congrats on giving up soda! Even if you don't see a weight change, that's an awesome health choice