I bought a food scale, and I havent been eating what I thought!

Options
2»

Replies

• ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    kirstenb13 wrote: »

Do you weigh yours cooked or raw? The package doesnt say for the noodles I've been using which I thought was odd, usually they have a dry and a prepared, or maybe thats just like the noodles with sauce or whatever?

Always weigh dry things like pasta, rice, oatmeal before cooking them. That's what the package information refers to anyway. There are huge difference in how much water they absorb when you cook them so it makes no sense to weigh the finished food.
    Having weighed them over and over and over dry and then cooked, they're remarkably consistent in term of final cooked weight.
  • Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    My scale is the best!

Have you ever tried measuring out something in a cup or tablespoon, then weighed it? Sometimes those even arent the same!

It's also just SO much easier for so many things. When I'm making salads, for example, I'll TARE my bowl, then add 4 oz mixed greens, 0.5 oz roasted almonds, 1 oz feta, 2 oz blueberries, 2 oz chopped fresh fennel, 1 oz pear, and then 14 grams of dressing. Tada! Easy peasy.

Or weighing out cooked meat.

Or huge wonderful servings of steamed broccoli. There is just really no way to estimate that. How in the world to measure it in a cup?

The only thing I discovered I consistently underestimated on is peanut butter. That stuff is my kryptonite.
  • jennkaufer89
    jennkaufer89 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Purchasing a food scale that can measure in different units (grams, oz, ml) was seriously the best health related purchase I ever made for myself. It took out the question mark calories in my diet and really empowered me to know more about my food! B)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Purchasing a food scale that can measure in different units (grams, oz, ml) was seriously the best health related purchase I ever made for myself. It took out the question mark calories in my diet and really empowered me to know more about my food! B)

.. ml is completely useless on a scale, unless you're measuring water.
  • DanSTL82
    DanSTL82 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    That's pretty much the opposite of most people. People who think they're eyeballing 1 serving of salad dressing or peanut butter, are typically actually using 3 or more. Because the food industry gives us warped views of portions.
  • blancoms
    blancoms Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    EQComics wrote: »
    That's pretty much the opposite of most people. People who think they're eyeballing 1 serving of salad dressing or peanut butter, are typically actually using 3 or more. Because the food industry gives us warped views of portions.

That's what I found so strange when I got mine. Same thing happened today with pork... 4 oz was double what I had been eating!
    Definitely love my food scale now, haha.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Portioning out any snack food makes me sad. Have you seen what a serving of Doritos looks like? :( I end up saving about 500 calories just for my evening snack so I can have several servings.
  • elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Ditto - I actually overestimated the amount of cream cheese, Nutella, etc - have sometimes been very pleasantly surprised. Deli meat shocked me - didn't know I could eat THAT many slices :)
  • yreka20
    yreka20 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Weighing cereal is sad.....

Thats what got me.. I was about 3.5 servings worth eyeballing it lol
  • littlewomensmom
    littlewomensmom Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Best and least expensive food scale? And where to find it.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

You don't need anything too fancy. Look for a digital scale with a tare feature that can switch easily between grams and ounces. I got mine for about $20 at Target. Walmart, Amazon, eBay, some grocery stores, most kitchen supply places, etc stock them.
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I have a scale that can change from oz's to grams to kgs to lbs. It's label is called Oneida, and it comes with a plastic tray you can put on it, before you start weighing items. It has a flat surface so you can put whatever container you wish to put on it to measure. I use it practically every meal! It was about $35. I think.
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
  • Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

I LOVE this scale. Cost $15, and I have had it 2 years, still going strong: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FF1WJ0I?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

It can do oz, lbs, fluid ounces, grams, and ml. It can TARE, and go up to 11 lbs of weight.
  • blancoms
    blancoms Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I usually put honey on my pancakes instead of syrup. Today I actually weighed out a tablespoon of honey and found that it was WAY more than I thought. When I was eyeballing, I was using about half! One tablespoon of honey is perfect for two small pancakes in my opinion :)

I actually got my food scale for baking, not for weight loss. Weighing out dry ingredients such as flour was a game-changer for me, especially for bread. Now I get consistant results every time. Plus I don't have to dirty as many measuring cups. I just tare the scale after I add each ingredient.

Now that I have the food scale, I weigh lots of things which helps me to more accurately eyeball portion sizes. That's why I think more people should get a food scale - just to get a visual on portion sizes, and after a month or so you wont even need it anymore. I have found that I am about dead-on perfect guessing the calories in an avocado. But cheese... An ounce of cheese is just sad!
    I usually put honey on my pancakes instead of syrup. Today I actually weighed out a tablespoon of honey and found that it was WAY more than I thought. When I was eyeballing, I was using about half! One tablespoon of honey is perfect for two small pancakes in my opinion :)

I actually got my food scale for baking, not for weight loss. Weighing out dry ingredients such as flour was a game-changer for me, especially for bread. Now I get consistant results every time. Plus I don't have to dirty as many measuring cups. I just tare the scale after I add each ingredient.

Now that I have the food scale, I weigh lots of things which helps me to more accurately eyeball portion sizes. That's why I think more people should get a food scale - just to get a visual on portion sizes, and after a month or so you wont even need it anymore. I have found that I am about dead-on perfect guessing the calories in an avocado. But cheese... An ounce of cheese is just sad!

Yes, I love cheese! I don't eat as much of it now :(
    It seems like a lot of things (like honey, I found that out too! ) don't measure right with spoons/cups. Grams and ounces are so much nicer to my stomach! Haha
  • Lucy1752
    Lucy1752 Posts: 499 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Weighing cereal is sad.....

Amen...I eat a serving in a coffee mug instead of a bowl because in a bowl it just looks so pathetic.