Bored Snacking/Eating

Options
As the title suggests, that's what I do. Not all the time but it's at least 1-2/ week. I feel terrible afterward, and try to not let it bother me. Anyone else with this constant struggle??

Replies

• tybrummilehigh2016
    Options
    Yeah every other day I want to order late night pizza or wings it's tough!
  • tybrummilehigh2016
    Options
    Just need to try and focus and think to yourself if it really worth it.
  • heidilane28
    heidilane28 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Easier said than done. I just have no idea how to stop grabbing whatever and not stopping before hand to remember my goals..
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Find something to do? If you're bored and aware of that, find something to do that will take your boredom away or take your mind off of snacking.
  • bbilliethecat
    bbilliethecat Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    i keep tubs of yoghurt in the fridge . when i open the fridge to find a munchie, the tubs of yoghurt are right there on the top in front of me . at 70 calories each, they're great . almost guilt-free, sweet, and can take me ages to eat if i use a small spoon hehe . plus i get me my shot of dairy :) fruit can go shoot itself .

or sleep . sleep is great :)
  • safeelone
    safeelone Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I used to a lot as well.
    I switched to low cal stuff and salads. Since then I haven't had too many cravings.
    Also having a cheat day is not a bad idea.
  • tybrummilehigh2016
    Options
    Snack healthy and be reasonable
  • scottwheeler75
    scottwheeler75 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I like all the suggestions already given. It seems to me that you almost need to do all of the above plus I would add one more thing. Burn more calories. I have a really hard time with snacking, especially in the evening (or anytime there are doughnuts around). I try not to beat myself up about it and I try even harder to be consistent with my workout routine. Thinking about the nutrition aspect of snacking, I would be much better off snacking on healthier foods, I am still working on that one!

Hope this helps!
    -Scott
  • elaineously
    elaineously Posts: 40 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I also really struggle with over snacking all the time. I know I'm gonna do it so I budget calories for it earlier in the day. It doesn't always work but it definitely helps. Also, like other people mentioned swap out for lower calorie options. Good luck with the snack battle. You can friend me if you need someone to be snack warriors with!
  • giantwisdom
    giantwisdom Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Is it really bored snacking? Are you truly not hungry at all when you snack? Or is it just snacking because you're hungry or craving something?

There is a big difference, and what you should do for each is different, so I wanted to ask for clarity before replying.
  • heidilane28
    heidilane28 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure it is bored snacking/eating.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    You need to remember what is important to you on this journey. pre-log everything for the day. that way you know what you can eat and what you can't.
    It is all inside you and you are the only one who can make the change... good luck!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I try to keep carrot and celery sticks in the front of the fridge and the more caloric stuff in the back and put away out of sight. Then when I get a snack attack I grab those. I also like to crochet which keeps my hands busy and out of the snacks. Find a hobby to occupy you and keep your mind and hands busy. Good luck
  • kissedbythesunshine
    Options
    Watch an episode of my 600lb life. That usually does it for me.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    One tip that works for me: Make the food harder to get. Put it away higher, wrap it up, throw it in the basement pantry. There have been studies i]citation needed[/i that show that mindless eating is reduced when barriers like this are introduced.
  • kristinacrooks415
    Options
    If it truly is a bored habit, I would challenge you to this: every time you feel like a snack go do a short burst of physical exercise. For example, 10 kettle bell swings, 10 squats, 10 push-ups or what ever your body can handle physically (it doesn't have to be any of the options listed). Then drink a glass of water. To me it sounds like you have to up the mental game of weight loss. After doing this a few weeks, you might be able to change your body/mind into wanting physical activity when bored instead of a snack.
  • aftnrid88
    aftnrid88 Posts: 21 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    The only times I've had problems with snacking are when I don't measure/portion before I start eating. When I'm measuring it, I'm more intentional about the snack. For example, lately I've been eating spoonfuls of peanut butter occasionally. It was worrying me because it seemed like bored snacking. I wasn't being careful with my measurements and since PB isn't low calorie, it's not really a sensible snack to overdo. I started using a measuring spoon for 1 tbsp, eating the PB, and then putting the dirty spoon in the dishwasher. At that point, I'm done with that snack.

Everything that everyone else said is good too. I don't keep any processed snack packs or sweets except fruit in my house, so that really helps too. I usually keep a ton of fruits around and snack on those. If you want to eating to kill your boredom, be intentional about your snacking. Whatever you eat, choose it on purpose, think about it, prepare it, enjoy it.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    As the title suggests, that's what I do. Not all the time but it's at least 1-2/ week. I feel terrible afterward, and try to not let it bother me. Anyone else with this constant struggle??
    I don't have snack food in the house. If my husband buys some I ask him to hide it. I can usually stick to my goals, but 1-2 nights a week I go grazing in the kitchen. It's s major thing I'm working on, one day at a time.
  • Valpinglow
    Valpinglow Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem and have been trying to "fix" it for a long time now. Habits such as these are hard wired and very difficult to break. Sometimes I will have success for a couple of months and then fall back into bad habits. I have had the best success with changing the stimulus i.e. eliminating the situations in which you boredom eat.

A good book to read is The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg. It explains how to change and develop habits.
  • rvaug214
    rvaug214 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. I have tried to remove all of the snacks out of my home. It has been difficult since I have small children. Portion control helps because we all deserve a snack. Good luck on your journey