Hashimoto's

Options
janatews916
janatews916 Posts: 6 Member
edited February 2016 in Motivation and Support
Hello all, I was recently diagnosed with a hypothyroid. And am looking to find some success stories!
I'm in the process of trying to find my perfect meds and dosages to get me back into weight loss progress.
The internet is loaded down with Debbie Downers with Hashi's and they make me feel doomed to be overweight!
I've really been struggling and would love to hear from you if you e broken through this hypothyroid barrier!

Thanks!

Replies

• rebelriesling_
    rebelriesling_ Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I suffer from hypothyroidism (with a suspected cause of Hashimoto's since I have co-occurring Celiac disease) and have for just over 12 years (was diagnosed at 12 years old). My main symptoms were substantial weight gain (over a short period of time), irritability, extreme sensitivity to cold, and extreme fatigue. I have been on Synthroid since diagnosis, which helps immensely. My dosage required has increased considerably over the last few years, so I suspect a removal may be in my future if it is warranted.
    I have a really hard time losing weight and can look at a bag of chips and put on 5 pounds! My metabolism is pretty slow so I try to be as active as possible. I've been logging consistently since the new year and have successfully lost 21.2 pounds. I know it doesn't sound substantial but I would have to starve myself to lose it more quickly and I'm too much of a foodie for that :p
    It can feel very discouraging to read about other people's experiences when you are newly diagnosed but I am proof that you can overcome this!
  • janatews916
    Options
    You are both inspiring! Thanks so much for sharing. I've been in a dark place lately with working my butt off and not seeing results. Stories like yours help remind me that it can be done!
    Thank you!
  • APBTChampion
    APBTChampion Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Not to be all Pitch Perfect, but we can be your flashlight. :wink: I, too, have Hashimoto's - and I can tell you that it isn't impossible to lose weight. It's tough, but if you can overcome the disease ... you can do just about anything. In reality, it takes more tweaking than others ... "why can't I lose weight like x, we do the same things, eat the same foods, etc". Work on finding your stride, and know that your body will bend to your wishes.
  • janatews916
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Thanks! I've been discouraged because I was diagnosed 6 months ago and am now trying my 5th med in attempt to straighten out my hormones. I ran 100+ miles in January, ate clean paleo and gained a pound.
    P. S. Pitch Perfect quotes are ALWAYS acceptable
  • waterbyrde
    waterbyrde Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've been there.

Have you had your Vitamin D levels checked? I am Hashi and also have hypoparathyroidism due to autoimmune damage. The parathyroid controls Vitamin D / calcium balance. I take an over-the-counter supplement everyday at my doctor's suggestion.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I have Hashi's and I've lost over 75 lbs in less than a year.

Once you are medicated properly losing weight isn't different than for an 'normal' person. :)

Oh, and paleo isn't a guarantee of weight loss. Not at all. Losing weight is about eating less than you burn in a day, regardless of what's on the menu.
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Hello all, I was recently diagnosed with a hypothyroid. And am looking to find some success stories!
    I'm in the process of trying to find my perfect meds and dosages to get me back into weight loss progress.
    The internet is loaded down with Debbie Downers with Hashi's and they make me feel doomed to be overweight!
    I've really been struggling and would love to hear from you if you e broken through this hypothyroid barrier!

Thanks!

Triple diagnosis in October: Hashi's, diabetes, and vitamin D deficiency.

Since then I've lost 41 lbs (26 more to go) and have my blood sugar within normal non-diabetic ranges (by 3 days after diagnosis). Blood test on Monday to see if levothyroxene needs to be adjusted and/or synthetic T3 added. As was mentioned earlier, there is a sizeable overlap between vitamin D deficiency and Hashi's. It may be a trigger in someone who is genetically susceptible to Hashi's. I'm hoping that if I get my vitamin D back where it belongs, the Hashi's may go into remission (I strongly suspect the levothyroxene is messing with my blood sugar since I accidentally left it home during a 4 day trip and I had some of the lowest fasting reading's I've had since diagnosis

I have, unfortunately, been down the weight loss road before. Aside from the mechanism (counting of carbs and calories), it hasn't been any more difficult this time around.
  • kbrenna11
    kbrenna11 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've had Hashimotos for over 20 years and have been a type 1 diabetic for 28 yrs...the D is a non issue, The H can get a big F from me. I've been working my *kitten* off for months and have lost only 3 lbs-inches, yes, since I'm obv. bldg muscle, but the Debbie downers are mostly right, H sucks for losing weight. My TSH levels have always been fine. And no, Levo doesn't work fast enough to affect 4 days of not taking it...
  • rabblescum
    rabblescum Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    It isn't impossible. I have had hashi's for almost 15 years. I got sick of my weight two years ago and lost 30 pounds in six months through careful counting and a lot of exercise. I have let myself backslide through my own negligence and am now just getting back at it. I do seem to have slower results because you are supposed to burn 10 to 20 percent fewer calories then people without hashi's. But reaching the finish line slower is still reaching it.
  • newjeans140
    newjeans140 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, it is inspiring to hear success stories. All I need to do is get my doctor to cooperate with different blood tests and get on my way. It is certainly a lifestyle change I am willing to make. Last night I ate a dinner out with my husband...we were supposed to be going for salads but we ended up at a mexican restaurant. Not again for a long time...I had a 3lb. weight gain, hoping most of that is sodium gain. But I learned a lesson.
  • newjeans140
    newjeans140 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    By the way...has anyone gone gluten free? I read of gluten being related to Hashi. Just curious.
  • snickerscharlie
    edited February 2016
    Options
    By the way...has anyone gone gluten free? I read of gluten being related to Hashi. Just curious.

Don't believe everything you read. ;)

Going gluten free is only necessary if you're diagnosed with celiac disease. Gluten free seems to be the trendy trend, though. Gluten free bread products are sadness. And expensive.

Why make losing weight harder than it needs to be? :)
  • snickerscharlie
    Options
    And on a side note - it makes me giggle the number of products I now see on the store shelves that proudly declare they are "GLUTEN FREE!"

The joke? Tons of these products never contained gluten in the first place. <eye rolly>
  • rebelriesling_
    Options
    Since being diagnosed with Hashis 12 years ago I was diagnosed with Celiac disease as well back in July. Apparently the two co-occur pretty frequently.
    The whole gluten free fad right now is kind of misleading. I've done a lot of reading on gluten free diets and realistically if you're not Celiac I wouldn't waste my time. Gluten free products are more processed since the gluten sources have to be removed. This basically means you'll be taking in more calories and chemicals, none of which is particularly healthy. The products are also hideously expensive in comparison to non-GF food and there is much less variety.
    I've been trying to eat naturally gluten free foods (meats, poultry, dairy, fresh fruit and veggies) and relying less on diet staples such as breads or pastas (though I do love pasta as a treat). If you're concerned about possible having Celiac talk to your doctor, they can order appropriate blood work and an intestinal biopsy if necessary!
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have hashis, it is an ongoing problem. I have lost quite a bit but put 30 pounds back on over January and december. I needed a med change and recently switched to and endo. My biggest piece of advice would be to make sure you feel good. Do not settle for you are in range. Complain or change until you feel well.
  • janatews916
    Options
    On the gluten topic- there is a proven link between autoimmune disease and increased likelihood of gluten sensitivity, which can't be clearly tested for like celiac. I didn't believe it, but I went off gluten (paleo) for 4 weeks, two different times, and when I reintroduced it both times I had diarrhea, brain fog, depression, and joint aches the next day. The only true way to test is through trial and knowing your body. Also, low carb has always been the only way I've had success losing weight. If you're stuck in a rut, it might be worth experimenting with. Nothing to lose, and only possible better health to gain.
  • rebelriesling_
    Options
    Also, low carb has always been the only way I've had success losing weight. If you're stuck in a rut, it might be worth experimenting with. Nothing to lose, and only possible better health to gain.

So true! Increasing protein and fat intake and decreasing carb intake can be very helpful. I get discouraged sometimes when I look at my macros and see such a high percentage of carbs but when I realize it's from fruit and vegetable sources I don't panic as much.
  • celtikgirl
    celtikgirl Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with hashimoto's 42 years ago at the age of 10. The only time it has been an issue since then was when I was stuipid and didn't take my meds correctly. Everything went back to normal once I quit being stupid.

I guess I could blame some of my weight issues on the disease, but if I'm taking my meds correctly, there shouldn't be any issue at all. Whatever my thyroid is no longer producing is replaced by the pills. I'm overweight because I was eating 3000 calories a day of sugary fat stuff and sitting on my butt.

Over the last two months I quit eating junk, cut back to 1400 calories a day, primarily from veggies and lean protein, exercise moderately about 4 hours a week and I've lost 20 pounds. That tells me that it was my food and exercise choices, not the hypothyroidism, that was the issue.

That's how it works for me, it may be different for others. Just don't let it be an excuse.
  • Sweetnsimpleblond
    Sweetnsimpleblond Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    In 2012 I was diagnosed with Graves' disease (hyperthyroid) and has immediate RAI (radioactive iodine treatment) I went severely hypo within 4 months and started what's called a myexdema coma. In 2014 I was diagnosed with Hashimotos and am currently taking synthroid and cytomel daily. Levels are great and I feel better than I have in 4 years; however, weight is still a constant issue. Because I have both antibodies I have both types of symptoms and it makes it difficult to manage. The graves put me into atrial fibrillation and because of that cardio has been difficult for years. It's getting better. Cardio seems to be the most effective for weight loss for me.
    I don't think the battle ever ends, and weight loss has been a severe issue in my life. Just keep at it! Because of the fatigue I find early morning work outs are the best. Otherwise by 7pm I'm exhausted and fighting to get going.
    And listen to your body! I didn't and could have died. My TSH ended up at 652 and they wanted to send me to ICU because my liver and kidneys were shutting down and I had short term memory loss.