completely frustrated - different results, same effort

Options

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Hi Ellaskat, I feel yout frustrations, I am there myself at the moment!! The standard settings on myfitnesspal regarding your macro nutrient percentages can be changed, generally the carbohydrate percentage is too high. Try changing your ratios to 20% carbohydrates, 20% protein and 60% fat (oviously this fat needs to be made up from nonsaturated variety) I am doing the same start this week. Good luck, areyou Africaans by any chance?

Really? Change the macros? This is not the problem.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I think it is time to give up the attempt to help OP. They won't listen to those who have been there and done that, and they won't listen to science. What's the point in wasting energy?
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Here is the answer you wanted to hear..... "YOU are a special snowflake".

There you go. Happy now?
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    CollieFit wrote: »
    Here is the answer you wanted to hear..... "YOU are a special snowflake".

There you go. Happy now?
    Forgot *hugssss*

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    What I don't understand is why someone would find measuring cups and spoons easier to use than a food scale :huh:
    I get twitchy when I see a recipe with tablespoon and cup measurements...
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Seriously, OP, I don't understand why you are so vehemently against using a food scale.

Yes, I know that you lost weight last year without using one. And I know that you are doing everything exactly the same.

But, given how frustrated you are, and the fact that doing what you were doing last year isn't working, why are you refusing to even consider using a scale?

To dig your heels in so firmly on something that is easy to do (and easy to stop doing if you feel it isn't helping) seems stubborn and childish.
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Wow.. you are NOT being bullied. To be bullied a person has to be mean to you, on purpose on more than one occasion. People trying to help you , but them not giving you the answer you want is not being mean! I really hate when people throw the word bully around!

People are trying to help. You just don't want to listen to their advice.

I notice when people do not get the answer they are looking for on these boards, they cry "mean people", or "bully". I do not understand why one would pose a question if they are not open to suggestions. /boggle
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Seriously, OP, I don't understand why you are so vehemently against using a food scale.

Yes, I know that you lost weight last year without using one. And I know that you are doing everything exactly the same.

But, given how frustrated you are, and the fact that doing what you were doing last year isn't working, why are you refusing to even consider using a scale?

To dig your heels in so firmly on something that is easy to do (and easy to stop doing if you feel it isn't helping) seems stubborn and childish.

Maybe because she thinks weighing every little thing you eat is a tad obsessive. That's what I thought when I first joined here.
    Looking at my diary in those first couple months is totally laughable, and so very inaccurate, guesstimates everywhere! I did however lose weight, but I think that was due to alternate day fasting, not my stellar logging :blushing:
  • booksandchocolate12
    Options

Maybe because she thinks weighing every little thing you eat is a tad obsessive. That's what I thought when I first joined here.
    Looking at my diary in those first couple months is totally laughable, and so very inaccurate, guesstimates everywhere! I did however lose weight, but I think that was due to alternate day fasting, not my stellar logging :blushing:

It's possible. But she hasn't mentioned that. The only reason she's given for not using a scale is that she didn't use one before so her logging cannot possibly be an issue.
  • Christine_72
    Options

It's possible. But she hasn't mentioned that. The only reason she's given for not using a scale is that she didn't use one before so her logging cannot possibly be an issue.

True, hopefully she comes back and gives us a straight answer.
  • John_Vianny
    John_Vianny Posts: 6 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    try to drink more water and eat foods that accelerates metabolism
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    ^except that's not actually a thing though.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    Don't listen to the people that say you can't gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. Maybe it's true at a certain level of fitness but I always stall on scale when I start new exercise. My suggestion would be to do longer workouts but with a day off between them for awhile. Give your body time to recover, be extra careful with calories on the days you don't exercise. Like workout an hour then take a day off, instead of 30 minutes each day. Good luck!

That's because new workouts means water retention (but not new muscle. Muscle growth takes considerably more time than a few days.)

Well duh, doesn't mean its not also happening at the same time as water retention. And yes i can gain muscle in a week or two.

I'm curious, but just how much muscle do you believe one can gain in a week or two while eating at a calorie deficit?

(Hint: not enough to even show up on a scale.)

Sorry not buying it. The evidence of larger muscles in someone who has NONE to speak of is there, all over my arms and shoulders in fact. Newbie quick gains are real. Is it a lot? No, but its there, its real, and it weighs something. Spread that out over an entire body with every muscle and it exists on the scale. When you're at a level where .25 of a pound can look like a complete stall believe me its a factor. Now you can go on bashing me and the poor OP with your supercilious attitudes. I bid you GOOD DAY.

• booksandchocolate12
    Options
    2q6mrfcn7vqt.png
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    What bothers me about the OP's post is that they not only called other people mean and bullies for not telling them what they wanted to hear, but they refuse to accept responsibility that they pretty much set the tone with their original post. That standoffish attitude of "Don't tell me it's not this because I KNOW it's not" is irksome because if you know that's not what it is, then why are you even asking? What is it you wish to be told? Based on all the information they decided to provide, logic points to the fact that they are eating more than they think.

Furthermore, upon returning to the post, OP said: "I clearly asked in my OP not to just say 'weigh your food'. That's because I spent a LOT of time on the boards last winter/spring. Enough to know that is the standard answer for so many things and I was looking for different feedback." So if you know that's the standard answer, again I ask, why would you even bother to make a post knowing the probability of a food scale being mentioned? Why not go to a professional instead of to these boards?

OP also came back to say: "Most importantly - though I still have not lost weight, when I measured this morning, I have lost 1-1.5 inches each on chest, hips, waist, and each thigh. Now I feel better - my body is changing things, even if it isn't the scale, and that's all I was looking for." You mean to tell me that from January 26th until yesterday, OP didn't even bother to take measurements in the first place to see if any changes in their body had occurred when they were so fussed about the scale not changing to their liking? That seems highly unlikely, especially since this is apparently not OP's first rodeo. I feel like that was made up as a last ditch effort to be able to say "See! I don't have to weigh my food! It's something else!" All those inches lost and no more than a two pound movement on the scale, especially when there is no weight training happening? OP never noticed their clothes fit a bit better? They stated they couldn't wear any of their clothes except sweats, but even with sweats on you would notice if they feel more roomy.

People aren't trying to bully the OP by suggesting a food scale. It's more of the notion that OP really has nothing to lose by using one. That way if they measure everything for a few weeks and still see no progress, then they can be certain something else is at play and get to the root of the matter.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to the people that say you can't gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. Maybe it's true at a certain level of fitness but I always stall on scale when I start new exercise. My suggestion would be to do longer workouts but with a day off between them for awhile. Give your body time to recover, be extra careful with calories on the days you don't exercise. Like workout an hour then take a day off, instead of 30 minutes each day. Good luck!

That's because new workouts means water retention (but not new muscle. Muscle growth takes considerably more time than a few days.)

Well duh, doesn't mean its not also happening at the same time as water retention. And yes i can gain muscle in a week or two.

I'm curious, but just how much muscle do you believe one can gain in a week or two while eating at a calorie deficit?

(Hint: not enough to even show up on a scale.)

Sorry not buying it. The evidence of larger muscles in someone who has NONE to speak of is there, all over my arms and shoulders in fact. Newbie quick gains are real. Is it a lot? No, but its there, its real, and it weighs something. Spread that out over an entire body with every muscle and it exists on the scale. When you're at a level where .25 of a pound can look like a complete stall believe me its a factor. Now you can go on bashing me and the poor OP with your supercilious attitudes. I bid you GOOD DAY.

Where have I read this before??

To be clear, that retained water is also in the muscles giving the appearance of growth.

And this is true whether you approve of my attitude...er, attitudes or not. But if you believe you can gain measurable muscle while eating at a calorie deficit, then I certainly won't try to stop you. No worries to me.

I will, however, respond if you try to teach others this untruth.
  • Jesslan_Rose
    Jesslan_Rose Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    You're not the only person here who feels the "weigh your food" response is a pat answer. I lost 200 lbs without ever weighing a thing I ate.

You did not mention (that I saw, I didn't read all the responses) if you've seen your Dr. It could be a new thyroid issue that has just surfaced, early menopause, etc etc. If you're that sure it's not what you're eating and your exercises are the same it only leaves a health issue. Hope you find your answer!
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    You're not the only person here who feels the "weigh your food" response is a pat answer. I lost 200 lbs without ever weighing a thing I ate.

That's the difference between you and the OP, though. "Weigh your food" is not a suggestion for every single person using MFP; it's a suggestion given to those who claim they're plateauing or otherwise aren't successful with weight loss. A food scale isn't necessary for everyone but when someone cannot make progress after several weeks, or even months, weighing their food is going to be one of the first suggestions given because, the majority of the time, people underestimate what they eat, overestimate how much they burn, or some combination of the two.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    *wanders into thread*

Hey, has anyone suggested a food scale?

*wanders out of thread*

Why so much attacking???
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    What I don't understand is why someone would find measuring cups and spoons easier to use than a food scale :huh:
    I get twitchy when I see a recipe with tablespoon and cup measurements...

I thought this was a place for support?