Options
12346»

Replies

• barby8051
    barby8051 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Don't weight everyday

Why not weigh every day? Some people like having the data.

I totally get this and everyone should do what is right for THEM. However, I would like to point out that some of us who struggle with obsessive behavior can let the numbers govern our mood. I try desperately to weigh myself only once a week but have been weighing daily because I can't control myself and have spent a couple days severely down in the dumps because of it. I will have my family hide the scale for awhile until the compulsion passes. I don't even need the scale to tell me if I have gained or lost because I am female and my butt and jeans keep me posted lol.
  • Sunnysided1
    Sunnysided1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Don't forget CICO
    Don't keep tempting foods available
    Don't forget that no matter how healthy your diet if you overeat calories, you'll gain weight
    Don't eat like a bigger person if you are smaller, eat according to your own calorie needs
  • jacquifrench304
    jacquifrench304 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    If you are 5'3" do not attempt to match your 6'4" hubby in food intake.
    Don't complicate easy things
    Don't kid yourself if you are not loosing you ARE eating to much for your body to lose weight accept it as fact and eat LESS , saves weeks of going in circles denying the facts, because physics and basic math.
  • Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    SeanNJ wrote: »
    Granted, this doesn't apply to everybody, so @SeanNJ may have had a different experience. Can't expect everyone to feel the same.

I'd say this probably sums it up best, and I'll make one more attempt to clarify so that I can cease hijacking the thread.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4273613/

It's long, and I don't expect you to read the whole thing, but basically it describes different responses to both positive and negative stimuli. In this case, the stimuli would be the positive or negative reinforcement. From my personal experience (which makes me a bit of a hypocrite since I generally despise using personal anecdotes as a basis for argument), I find that positive feedback to merely suggesting a proposed course of action can be counterproductive to actually undertaking it. To reference my previous piano example, if I were to mention to a friend that I would like to learn to play the piano and that friend responded with effusive praise for my future keyboard prowess, then that interaction can produce a dopamine rush similar to the actual accomplishment of learning to play without doing anything. In more general terms, you can equate it to the "drama king/queen" who may genuinely believe they want to accomplish something, but upon further retrospection, it's apparent that the attention they received for proposing it was sufficient to satiate their need.

I've heard it said, and I wish I could remember where because I'd credit it properly, that the best way for some people to follow through on something is to not tell anyone what they're doing. While some would consider the public pronouncement of a goal a means of providing motivation or accountability, others use it simply as confirmation that their idea was a good one and the implementation becomes an afterthought. I am prone to the latter, hence why I try to temper the amount of positive reinforcement I provide to others when the "accomplishment" is incidental to the actual goal.

Anyway, hope that explains it a little better.

@SeanNJ I read stuff like this all the time back when doing my MPH. And I believe you've exactly made my point above! Works for some, not for all. So...awesome! We agree.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Don't do the latest, most popular "bandwagon" diet just because everyone else is doing it or someone what thinks you should. This is yor life, not theirs.

Don't do anything you're not willing to keep up long term.

Don't let anyone else define what your goals should be. We can't all be or want to be a size zero. The only exception should be if that someone else is a doctor trying to prevent or treat something potential fatal, like diabetes or heart disease.

Don't think you're not a valuable person until you reach your goal. You deserve to reach your goals in life. Believe you are worthy of all goodness and joy you have coming your way :)
  • suzyfloozyx
    suzyfloozyx Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Don't believe anything promoted by Dr. Oz.
    Don't fall for products promoted by MLM "coaches".
    Don't blink!

Loving the Doctor Who don't!
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Don't freak out when your weight loss slows down.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Don't be dishonest with yourself - face your mistakes and work on improving.
    Don't be afraid to ask for help.
    Don't take crap from anyone - not on the food you choose to eat, the exercise you choose to do, or the amount of weight you choose to lose (unless you're being unhealthy - that's not crap they're handing out. That's concern).
    Don't major in the minors (let perfect be the enemy of good, overthink it, yada).
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    Don't compare yourself to others. You will not lose weight at the same pace as someone else and measuring your success against someone else will set you up for disappointment.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Don't let anyone belittle your exercise of choice.
  • hamstertango
    hamstertango Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Don't be surprised after the excitement of your early weightloss successes; when all your friends and families eyes glaze over at the very mention of the words 'calorie allowance'...