Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Probiotics

pie_eyes
pie_eyes Posts: 12,965 Member
Do you take them and how have they improved your life

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited February 2016
    A shot glass of Kefir nearly daily results in a slightly improved stool.
  • pie_eyes
    Once I just drank alcohol and ate wraps for a week and my stool were in good shape
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    How is this a debate topic?
  • MNJ439
    MNJ439 Posts: 3 Member
    I didn't know I had an issue with food related bloating until I started using a probiotic. Honestly, I just assumed my stomach looked the way it did because of stomach fat. Within 3 days, I noticed a difference in bloating. Also, because it helps with intestinal flora and bacteria, it can help to ensure "regularity".
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    I take a probiotic supplement 4 days a week while simultaneously eating probiotic-rich yogurt 4 times a week. I am very regular, but I'm skeptical that it's actually improved my intestinal bacteria much given that I do still have some symptoms of IBS. I will say though, sometimes when I consume these probiotics it does seem to help my system for the following few hours afterwards.
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Maybe because many of us have different opinions on whether they're needed or not.
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Anyone who's poop isn't shaped like poop or doesn't go at least once a day could benefit from probiotics. It balances the gut bacteria when bad bacteria has become more prominent then the good. For many its after antibiotics that kills all bacteria and it doesn't come back with proper balance. Its important to have a healthy intestinal track because if its constantly inflamed you may not be getting the nutrients out of your food no matter what or how much you eat, leaving you feeling tired. Its tied directly to your immune system. I took the capsules for years but about a year ago after googling the benefits of milk kefir I switched to making my own milk kefir. The capsules were fast and easy, the milk kefir is cheap, more beneficial and still easy. If someone is unsure if they should be taking them, try for about 3 weeks and if they see improvement, you got your answer.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    I take a probiotic supplement 4 days a week while simultaneously eating probiotic-rich yogurt 4 times a week. I am very regular, but I'm skeptical that it's actually improved my intestinal bacteria much given that I do still have some symptoms of IBS. I will say though, sometimes when I consume these probiotics it does seem to help my system for the following few hours afterwards.
    Maybe because many of us have different opinions on whether they're needed or not.

So do you need them or not?
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    I've been taking antibiotics on and off since December....which has resulted in extra infections(women know what I mean)...I have a feeling I will be put back on them again this week' Does anyone know, if I took a probiotic, would this avoid those infections? I'm dreading going back to the doctor just thinking about it....
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited February 2016
    I don't take probiotics at alI. I do enjoy pickled foods like kimchi, sauerkraut, ginger and beets and have various jars in the fridge that I have with dinner. I also eat a lot of yogurt.

I don't know if it makes a difference in anything, as its something I don't worry about and have never had issues.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Anyone who's poop isn't shaped like poop or doesn't go at least once a day could benefit from probiotics. It balances the gut bacteria when bad bacteria has become more prominent then the good. For many its after antibiotics that kills all bacteria and it doesn't come back with proper balance. Its important to have a healthy intestinal track because if its constantly inflamed you may not be getting the nutrients out of your food no matter what or how much you eat, leaving you feeling tired. Its tied directly to your immune system. I took the capsules for years but about a year ago after googling the benefits of milk kefir I switched to making my own milk kefir. The capsules were fast and easy, the milk kefir is cheap, more beneficial and still easy. If someone is unsure if they should be taking them, try for about 3 weeks and if they see improvement, you got your answer.

I just can't get past non-poop shaped poop. Wut?
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    kkenseth wrote: »

I just can't get past non-poop shaped poop. Wut?

Like if it is turd, crap, or feces shaped?
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Alluminati wrote: »

So do you need them or not?
    I would say yes.

Alluminati wrote: »
    I don't take probiotics at alI. I do enjoy pickled foods like kimchi, sauerkraut, ginger and beets and have various jars in the fridge that I have with dinner. I also eat a lot of yogurt.

I don't know if it makes a difference in anything, as its something I don't worry about and have never had issues.
    Well in that case you're getting plenty of probiotics from some of those foods you're eating.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I've been taking antibiotics on and off since December....which has resulted in extra infections(women know what I mean)...I have a feeling I will be put back on them again this week' Does anyone know, if I took a probiotic, would this avoid those infections? I'm dreading going back to the doctor just thinking about it....

@JustMissTracy I definitely know what you mean.. Speaking from experience, take your antibiotic in the morning and a strong probiotic in the evening or vice versa. Just make sure to space the two as far apart as you can
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member

If you already have a yeast infection then you'll probably be prescribed more meds (much to the delight of your doctor). Probiotics might've prevented it though, sure.

Ask your doc to prescribe you some. It's probably uncommon for GP's to prescribe it along with antibiotics but it's worth a shot to possibly save you some money.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member

@JustMissTracy I definitely know what you mean.. Speaking from experience, take your antibiotic in the morning and a strong probiotic in the evening or vice versa. Just make sure to space the two as far apart as you can

+1 for taking the probiotic as far away as possible from the antobiotic.
    Once I have a 21 day antibiotic treatment. The prescribing MD suggested to take a 50 Billion probiotic dose a day, as far away from the antibiotic. I also complemented with kefir, unsweetened. No side effects.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member

I always take a probiotic when I'm on antibiotics and have found it 100% prevents the extra infections, which I suffer from terribly when I don't take the probiotic.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member

I always take a probiotic when I'm on antibiotics and have found it 100% prevents the extra infections, which I suffer from terribly when I don't take the probiotic.

yep yep, same here.
    Antibiotics guarantee thrush for me. But all is good if I'm also taking probiotics.

• zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    I do, for, uh, maintained flora and fauna.
  • pie_eyes
    I don't even know what floral or fauna is but they sound pretty
  • summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member

I'm on antibiotics atm and have started a thread about antibiotics and probiotics.....I've a very sore tummy from the antibiotics :neutral: