How much/often do you exercise?

Options

Replies

• mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    robininfl wrote: »
    jsidel126 wrote: »
    I don't have time to exercise. I watch my caloric intake by logging the food I consume. I have been losing weight since I started this experiment. Keep your calories in check and you can lose/maintain your weight.

This is very true.
    For me though, I enjoy being able to eat much more because I exercise. Haha.

I do also feel it's important to be physically active. It's a huge stress reliever in my life.

Also, slightly overweight and active trumps thin and idle, health-wise. A very restricted diet is the fastest way to lose weight for sure, but it's not good for your body, and not good thinking either... I can pretty easily drop below a healthy BMI by working out less and not eating much, and my mind still pulls toward that sometimes. Staying fit and feeling firm and strong helps to offset the unhealthy thinking patterns.

Yep. Cut enough calories and you're not even getting enough of basic nutrients. Being inactive, you're keeping your body from the cardiovascular strength it deserves. And losing muscle tone.
  • JILLCLI4D
    JILLCLI4D Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Cardio 50-55min 4x week (treadmill, elliptical, bike, stair stepper. I do not stay on the same machine; I have no cardio routine), weights/machines 25 min 4x week. I sleep 8 hours a night (really important if you want to lose or maintain weight), and I drink half my body weight of water every day.
  • mikeski52
    mikeski52 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    mikeski52 wrote: »
    Wow, so many people exercising 5+/week. I lift, +10minutes cardio, 2x a week and can't be bothered to spend more time than that!

Those of us that work out 5+ times a week generally do so because we truly enjoy it. Not because we're trying to punish ourselves or anything.

I have a lot of respect for people like you :)
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Wow, so many people exercising 5+/week. I lift, +10minutes cardio, 2x a week and can't be bothered to spend more time than that!

Those of us that work out 5+ times a week generally do so because we truly enjoy it. Not because we're trying to punish ourselves or anything.

And because 5x a week is the general recommendation for health, and even if I don't enjoy it WHILE I am doing it (running, I'm looking at you...) I do feel much better in my body when I keep up daily exercise. Intentional exercise done to keep in shape, not just active life stuff like walking the dog or stairs vs elevator.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    usually about 4-8 hours, depending on the time of year. sometimes as much as ten hours in a week.
  • mommarnurse
    Options

I have a lot of jealousy. Between working 7am-7pm 4x a week, being a mom to 3 , I'm only able to exercise on my days off, so 3x a week sometimes only 2x. But those days are either long runs or intense cardio classes. And lifting. Still wish I could do it more.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options

I have a lot of jealousy. Between working 7am-7pm 4x a week, being a mom to 3 , I'm only able to exercise on my days off, so 3x a week sometimes only 2x. But those days are either long runs or intense cardio classes. And lifting. Still wish I could do it more.

mommanurse, it gets better. I get up and run in the morning at 5:30, because that's the only time I know I have. Short runs not long runs. He gets up and lifts most days, 30 minutes only. The kids get themselves ready for school, so I can shower and get them there on time. We have 9 kids altogether, but only 2 are little now, the next youngest are in college so it's eased.

Do what you can for now, and look for opportunities. Also remember if you walk a lot at your job (nurse, right?) then your 3x/week workouts are quite likely more than enough overall.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options

The minimum recommendation for general wellness is 150 minutes per week of light cardiovascular work where the heart rate is elevated for a sustained amount of time...so that would be 30 minutes 5x weekly or 2x 60 minute sessions and 1x 30 minute session...that's just bare bones cardiovascular wellness.

Beyond that, some of us enjoy fitness and being fit...I'd rather tool around in the gym or ride my bike than sit around watching television or something. I enjoy exercise...I love nothing more than riding on a crisp morning while the sun is coming up...it's not a chore, exercise is as pleasurable for the most part as anything.
  • bruhaha007
    bruhaha007 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I strength train four days per week at the gym doing an A/B split for upper body and lower body. Those days I don't go to the gym I either workout from home doing yoga or core and mountain bike or ski.
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Daily.
  • mommarnurse
    Options
    robininfl wrote: »

mommanurse, it gets better. I get up and run in the morning at 5:30, because that's the only time I know I have. Short runs not long runs. He gets up and lifts most days, 30 minutes only. The kids get themselves ready for school, so I can shower and get them there on time. We have 9 kids altogether, but only 2 are little now, the next youngest are in college so it's eased.

Do what you can for now, and look for opportunities. Also remember if you walk a lot at your job (nurse, right?) then your 3x/week workouts are quite likely more than enough overall.

Wow, 9 kids! I admire you. Thanks for the reply. I d love to run before work but my only opportunity to start doing that is on my weekend shifts when my husband is home at that time. It's hard though when I really want/need sleep (to get out of bed) and I don't sleep that well.I do want to work up to it.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I work out nearly every single day, but not for a long time - at least 30 min intense exercise daily. I often manage 40 min, but anything longer would be an exception. I find it easier for me to do short workouts every day than to find time in my schedule for 1.5-2 h at the gym several times per week. I have a nice setup at home, so I roll out of bed, have coffee and exercise. I have no excuse to not go to the gym when it is right here!
  • sbermud
    sbermud Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Twice a week., maybe.
  • veggiecanner
    veggiecanner Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    5 days a week, last month I walked 32.85 miles. from 1.2 to 3 miles a day. got today off because it rained.
  • lauraebenavides
    lauraebenavides Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    OK, so I feel like I am a slacker reading everyone's response. I workout 3 to 5 times a week 30 to no more than one hour a day. I do it all depending on what I feel like that day to make it fun
  • csillabrimer978
    csillabrimer978 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    2 Cardio sessions per week- usually HIIT for 15-20 min or interval training for 40 min
    3 strength training - focusing on different parts of the body, bottom, inner thigh, abs, shoulders arm etc

2 days rest- usually after HIIT so I don't lose muscle mass
  • GettingfitLA
    GettingfitLA Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Exercise nearly every day. Mostly alternate days strength and cardio.

I'm fortunate that I actively enjoy my exercise so it's a joy not a chore. Even when it's "just training" I enjoy the feeling of accomplishing something that progresses me towards my goals.

To maintain my weight I exercise 5-6 days a week by doing strength and cardio. It seems to be the best way to keep any extra pounds off.
  • B_TEEN
    B_TEEN Posts: 95 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Daily walk of 45-60 minutes, that is occasionally subbed for the elliptical or jogging.

Plus, I
    Lift - 2x per week
    Yoga - 3-7x per week
    Balance or ab work -up to 2x per week
  • tracefan
    tracefan Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I love to go to the gym.. I do cardio everyday.. but then I do have the occasional "I need a break day" and that's ok. If I do not actually go to the gym. I will ride my bike, walk my dog, etc. I find ways to keep moving. I'm not a couch potato and never plan to be. If you enjoy working out. More power to you.
  • ginalove1960
    ginalove1960 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I exercise whenever I want to, which is fairly often. I do varied things from piano practice to yoga to treadmill walking to "range of motion" classes.