Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Right calories vs less calories

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    makowsk8 wrote: »
    This is so true. If you eat right, you will feel more satiated on fewer calories; try naturals and organics, they fill you up fast...

Please explain how an organic tomato is more satiating than a non-organic tomato.

However, if youre eating well already, lower your caloric intake. Try sticking to 500 calories/day less, this will have you losing a pound or so per week; losing much more than per week will be hard on your skin to adjust properly and will result in more flab. Also remember considerable calorie cuts can actually be detrimental as your body will start storing energy as fat reserves rather than short term reserves to keep you stable for longer periods of time.

Incorrect. Have you ever seen a fat anorexic? How about starving people in third-world countries? Don't see too many fat ones wandering around.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    This is so true. If you eat right, you will feel more satiated on fewer calories; try naturals and organics, they fill you up fast...

Please explain how an organic tomato is more satiating than a non-organic tomato.

However, if youre eating well already, lower your caloric intake. Try sticking to 500 calories/day less, this will have you losing a pound or so per week; losing much more than per week will be hard on your skin to adjust properly and will result in more flab. Also remember considerable calorie cuts can actually be detrimental as your body will start storing energy as fat reserves rather than short term reserves to keep you stable for longer periods of time.

Incorrect. Have you ever seen a fat anorexic? How about starving people in third-world countries? Don't see too many fat ones wandering around.

Well yes, yes I have. ;)
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Hi there seen you on here b4.
    My opinion is calories did matter but right kind is far more important. Your body wants to good stuff and your brain regulates hunger not on a full feeling in tummy but biochemical response to nutrients it basically tells your brain what of what it needs came in and that is how satiation occurs. If you eat crap you won't be satisfied this still hungry and keep on going. This is obesity crisis 4 legs right there. Eat good stuff but less and you'll be fine. Then during maintaining it will get easier as you can slowly reintroduce that which you don't need

You clearly don't know how this works and are making up your own theories.

I'm seeing a trend...
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Its far easier to eat less when you eat "right". "Right" being the way that suits you best, not your friend, not your coworker, not some arbitrary diet.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    ...and boost your capacity for academic learning.

The right calories in this context presumably meaning pizza, caffeine and chinese takeaway...
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member

Must......Refrain.....
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

Must......Refrain.....

It's for the best.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Must......Refrain.....

It's for the best.

Is not....
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    Everyone says calories in vs calories out is all you need to know. That's not true for everyone. Theoretically, people are correct when they say you could eat 1200 cal of fruit & veggies or 1200 cal of chocolate and lose weight.

However, those of us with hormone imbalances or insulin resistance find that statement to not be true for US. I cannot eat 1200 cal of chocolate and lose weight because my body does not respond to chocolate in the same way it responds to fruits and veggies. I had to learn what foods my body does respond to while maintaining nutrition and watching those blood sugar spikes.

The moral of the story is this....while CICO is a good starting point, you may have to adjust what you eat based on how your body processes what you put in it. We are all the same in the fact that our bodies all have the same parts but, much like a car, sometimes those parts work better in some people while they break down in other people. You have to find what works best for you.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    ames105 wrote: »
    Everyone says calories in vs calories out is all you need to know. That's not true for everyone. Theoretically, people are correct when they say you could eat 1200 cal of fruit & veggies or 1200 cal of chocolate and lose weight.

However, those of us with hormone imbalances or insulin resistance find that statement to not be true for US. I cannot eat 1200 cal of chocolate and lose weight because my body does not respond to chocolate in the same way it responds to fruits and veggies. I had to learn what foods my body does respond to while maintaining nutrition and watching those blood sugar spikes.

The moral of the story is this....while CICO is a good starting point, you may have to adjust what you eat based on how your body processes what you put in it. We are all the same in the fact that our bodies all have the same parts but, much like a car, sometimes those parts work better in some people while they break down in other people. You have to find what works best for you.

Didn't you say exactly the same thing in another thread and got told, no, CICO is always true for everyone living in this universe?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member

Didn't you say exactly the same thing in another thread and got told, no, CICO is always true for everyone living in this universe?

Not to mention the fact that NO ONE ever suggest eating one's entire 1200 calorie diet in chocolate bars...regardless of how many time dishonest debaters bring that strawman up.
  • lemurcat12
    Everyone says calories in vs calories out is all you need to know.

No one says this. Calories are not all that matter for all sorts of things, like nutrition, energy level, satiety.

They are what matter for weight loss IF you are somehow able to keep the calories the same no matter what you eat (I could not under normal circumstances -- maybe for an experiment).
    Theoretically, people are correct when they say you could eat 1200 cal of fruit & veggies or 1200 cal of chocolate and lose weight.

However, those of us with hormone imbalances or insulin resistance find that statement to not be true for US. I cannot eat 1200 cal of chocolate and lose weight because my body does not respond to chocolate in the same way it responds to fruits and veggies.

I find this difficult to believe, because I don't see how this could possibly work. Your body will still need to burn a certain amount of calories to fuel your activities (however sedentary) and your body cannot magically draw that fuel from no where while adding fat from the chocolate so as to prevent weight loss when in a deficit. Perhaps eating chocolate would have some negative effect on your calories out vs. eating a more balanced diet (since no one ever recommends eating only chocolate this seems odd anyway), but not the kind of extremely dramatic effect that you seem to be claiming. I suppose if you say you control your thyroid through diet and this would destroy that, maybe it would explain some kind of major decline in CO.

But if so that is a result of a health condition, not a statement about CICO.
  • lemurcat12
    I agree with you.CICO is just one way of looking at things, it is simple and for a lot of people it is something that ensures their perception that weight or body composition is more important than the health of us internall,bio mechanically, and neurologically.

Wow, now you are claiming that people who understand that CICO is what determines weight loss/gain/maintenance aren't healthy and don't care about nutrition or health.

It's almost like you don't read the thread before you post, and definitely rude and offensive.

No one has said that food choice isn't important for things like nutrition, and no one has given you any reason to think we don't care about health.
  • peazoo1325
    peazoo1325 Posts: 13 Member
    Deficit. It is very difficult to eat junk food while keeping your calories in check and also supplying enough nutrients to be healthy.
    It is most important to have a good idea of your BMR including daily activity. This includes water retention from too much sodium (diet again). This takes more monitoring over time and you will eventually see the pattern.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Choosing the right calories helps me eat less calories.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Must......Refrain.....

It's for the best.

Is not....

Sorry but..lol
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member

I agree with you.CICO is just one way of looking at things, it is simple and for a lot of people it is something that ensures their perception that weight or body composition is more important than the health of us internall,bio mechanically, and neurologically.

It is the difference between surviving and thriving for those of us who struggle with insulin resistance(believe me I feel there with you with the struggle). I try to eat the beneficial calories because I know they help the human body.

do you know any other way to lose weight beside CICO?

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Caloric value is one thing. Knowing we are here to maintain a certain body composition is another. Insinuations that I perceive those who use CICO to be an excuse to cause nutritional neglect is a fallacy. I know there are people in MFP community who are very conscious of their nutrition health and well being. Just as well as I know there are people who do not know enough about what a healthy diet entails and rely on CICO as it enables their choices. Intimately I am not judging just noticing the differences which is important when debating nutrition.

not sure what your point is..

standard advice on this site is to get into a deficit, exercise, and make sure to hit micros and macros...
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Is weight loss more about less calories or the right calories?

@taylorjgarner in my case it seem to be both not one or the other.
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Weight loss is about 'how much' food (measured via # of calories)

Other factors (body composition, physical performance, satiety, to name a few) are influenced by the 'what type' of food

this
This discussion has been closed.