Karmc2k Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    The gym is 5 minutes from home.
    It has a good selection of equipment.
    The morning crowd is great.
  • Lose2Cruise2016
    Lose2Cruise2016 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I love my gym because it is open 24/7 (staffed, not just 24 hour access with a passkey), and has plenty of equipment (except the fly machine. It's just too big to house more than one.) I also see all ages and fitness levels and members all seem comfortable. You can also hire trainers or take the free classes that give you general instruction on all machines/equipment.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    It is open 24 hours so I can go very early and be done for the day. No waiting for any equipment. Plus there are 4 locations to choose from on my way to work M-F.
  • jaebennetti
    jaebennetti Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Nice people there.
    Pool.
    No waiting for equipment.
    Close to home and work.
  • jyvonne27
    jyvonne27 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    It's at my job, so I can work out on my lunch break
    Classes that I enjoy taking are offered before/after work and at lunch
    The personal trainers are awesome and so patient
    They always have some kind of challenge going to win a prize, and motivate you to do something extra
    Variety of fitness levels and shapes and sizes. No one feels uncomfortable. Plus it's bound to be people you pass in the hall at some point.
    They have a lactation room which was awesome to use when I first came back from maternity leave
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    1. It has a full 3x3 power cage with a monkey chin bar and a half rack with another chin bar.
    2. It has a lifting platform, a hex bar, and plenty of extra bars and weights.
    3. It only has two members and one of them is hot and wears yoga pants. All. The. Time. And, I get to spot her.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    It's less than a 5-minute drive and $15 a month
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Overhearing the college kids' conversations and being thankful I don't have social drama or homework to deal with.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    The locker room chatter. I'm not around that much testosterone any other time of the day... or in life, period. 60-year olds getting dressed next to 40-year olds getting dressed next to 20-year olds... it's a great bonding experience and never in my life have I felt like such a choir boy. Some of these dudes, man... :joy:

• awnurmarc
    awnurmarc Posts: 125 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    The main thing I love is about my gym is that is within walking distance. The first time that I went outside without my cane (I had an ischemic stroke less than two month's earlier) it was to go to the gym. I didn't want the cane to alert the staff of my condition. I was able to walk (or perhaps limp) into the gym and squatted just the bar. Worked up from there. Now I'm driving again so I use the car when the weather's cold. Still glad it is so close.
  • robinmarkz
    robinmarkz Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    That it's at home, and the great outdoors are my front yard. I have an old Weslo stationary bike that runs on 4 D batteries and a new Rebounder that runs on *my* calories!

And steps away from my door is a major regional park with bike rentals and lots of hiking trails.

We have awesome and comfortable shower facilities! And my gym bag is as big as a closet. (Well, actually, it is a closet.) :pB)

I suppose when I go in for weight training, a gym membership might be helpful. It's something to think about down the road. And I also do PT but not as much lately.

All the best,
    rjm

• ghouli
    ghouli Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    - That there are two of them in town, both of them pretty close. Which is great because I like the layout of one better than the other, probably a dumb thing but I'm more comfortable in the one.
    - The people who work at both are so nice. Never pushing stuff on you. When I signed up I was past the $1 sign up deadline but they still did it, and when one of the trainers was showing me around the gym he was really in-depth and answered all the questions I had.
    - Open 24/7, on all holidays too.
    - They always keep it hella clean.
  • mohanj
    mohanj Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I go to 24 hour fitness. Love Zumba classes. Seeing others pushes me to do better. Enough machines so no need to wait for my turn. Compliments from strangers. No distraction like at home. Closer to my home.
  • Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    It's slap bang half way between my work and my home

It's generally quiet between 6-8.30am

I dont have a contract, I can cancel any time

It's cheap! But still has MYRIDE spin bikes.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    robinmarkz wrote: »
    We have awesome and comfortable shower facilities!

I use a 24-hr gym across from my house, which is as close to a home gym as I can get - and you're absolutely right about the shower. I love that I never take a shower in a gym any more!!
  • Burger2066
    Burger2066 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    There is a gym in my work building that I use daily.
    1) That it is usually empty
    2) That it is free
    3) That I can go any time at work
    4) It has everything I need to get my workouts in and clean showers
    5) There is probably something else, but it is Monday morning and I'm not fully awake yet...
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    I have 3 gyms, my favorite is the one in my garage, I've never used the one at work, and the YMCA has a lazy river, which is a ton of fun to take my kids in.
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    the people
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I love the big giant juice heads I work out with- and how they joke.

And I appreciate that they joke back. @ss jokes are totally common.

It's got chalk.
    and bumper plates
    and if you dead lift and drop the weight it doesn't' matter.

Any one will spot you when you need it.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    For my non-home gym:
    1) Proximity.
    2) It's between my house and my office, making it easier to go on my way home from work, rather than having to go home and then head back out. (Even though it's close, it's very easy to get wrapped up in chores at home and push off going back out to the gym.)
    3) Variety. It's got weight machines, free weights, cardio rooms, a running track, basketball courts where you can do "field" exercises, and even a crossfit-style area. So even as I change things up to keep my workouts challenging and interesting, it offers the resources I need.

If I had to change anything, it would be to replace the grass on the field inside the running track with synthetic turf to avoid sand spurs and insects when exercising outside.