What do you love most about your gym?

2»

Replies

• robinmarkz
    robinmarkz Posts: 93 Member
    That it's at home, and the great outdoors are my front yard. I have an old Weslo stationary bike that runs on 4 D batteries and a new Rebounder that runs on *my* calories!

And steps away from my door is a major regional park with bike rentals and lots of hiking trails.

We have awesome and comfortable shower facilities! And my gym bag is as big as a closet. (Well, actually, it is a closet.) :pB)

I suppose when I go in for weight training, a gym membership might be helpful. It's something to think about down the road. And I also do PT but not as much lately.

All the best,
    rjm

• ghouli
    ghouli Posts: 207 Member
    - That there are two of them in town, both of them pretty close. Which is great because I like the layout of one better than the other, probably a dumb thing but I'm more comfortable in the one.
    - The people who work at both are so nice. Never pushing stuff on you. When I signed up I was past the $1 sign up deadline but they still did it, and when one of the trainers was showing me around the gym he was really in-depth and answered all the questions I had.
    - Open 24/7, on all holidays too.
    - They always keep it hella clean.
  • mohanj
    mohanj Posts: 381 Member
    I go to 24 hour fitness. Love Zumba classes. Seeing others pushes me to do better. Enough machines so no need to wait for my turn. Compliments from strangers. No distraction like at home. Closer to my home.
  • Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    It's slap bang half way between my work and my home

It's generally quiet between 6-8.30am

I dont have a contract, I can cancel any time

It's cheap! But still has MYRIDE spin bikes.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    robinmarkz wrote: »
    We have awesome and comfortable shower facilities!

I use a 24-hr gym across from my house, which is as close to a home gym as I can get - and you're absolutely right about the shower. I love that I never take a shower in a gym any more!!
  • Burger2066
    Burger2066 Posts: 126 Member
    There is a gym in my work building that I use daily.
    1) That it is usually empty
    2) That it is free
    3) That I can go any time at work
    4) It has everything I need to get my workouts in and clean showers
    5) There is probably something else, but it is Monday morning and I'm not fully awake yet...
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    I have 3 gyms, my favorite is the one in my garage, I've never used the one at work, and the YMCA has a lazy river, which is a ton of fun to take my kids in.
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    the people
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    I love the big giant juice heads I work out with- and how they joke.

And I appreciate that they joke back. @ss jokes are totally common.

It's got chalk.
    and bumper plates
    and if you dead lift and drop the weight it doesn't' matter.

Any one will spot you when you need it.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    edited February 2016
    For my non-home gym:
    1) Proximity.
    2) It's between my house and my office, making it easier to go on my way home from work, rather than having to go home and then head back out. (Even though it's close, it's very easy to get wrapped up in chores at home and push off going back out to the gym.)
    3) Variety. It's got weight machines, free weights, cardio rooms, a running track, basketball courts where you can do "field" exercises, and even a crossfit-style area. So even as I change things up to keep my workouts challenging and interesting, it offers the resources I need.

If I had to change anything, it would be to replace the grass on the field inside the running track with synthetic turf to avoid sand spurs and insects when exercising outside.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Mine is proximity (a 2 minute bike ride for me).

Oh, and the mirrors... cause I look at myself a lot. What's better than 1 Hornsby? 10 Hornsbys....
    :insertdoucheyjokevoice:
  • lizzieloo934
    lizzieloo934 Posts: 58 Member
    I go to the Ymca, I LOVE:

-that I get a free membership with my school tuition
    -there is a huge variety of classes
    -always machines available
    -4 blocks from my home
    -the staff is very positive and supportive!!
    -they have a pool
  • drachfit
    drachfit Posts: 217 Member
    edited February 2016
    Pros

1. open 24 hours by card access
    2. lots of strong as hell powerlifters who are all friendly and willing to work in with you, take videos of you, spot, or even offer technique and programming advice
    3. $20/month no contract
    4. owned by a local, independent trainer who used to compete and coach
    5. local olympic weightlifting team practices; their coach will give you free form coaching if you show up for a session
    6. never had to wait in line for equipment
    7. all kinds of lifting toys; straps, belts, boxes, texas deadlift bar, safety squat bar, bands, deadlift jack, dip belt, olympic bars, bumper plates, kettlebells
    8. 3 dedicated deadlift platforms
    9. they have a real glute-ham raise
    10. everyone re-racks the weights and puts the clips and bars back in storage
    11. there is a boom-box with an Aux jack and anyone can connect to bluetooth.
    12. they are next door to a pizza shop

Cons

1. they are next door to a pizza shop
    2. the ceilings are low so there is not a good place to practice muscle ups and other bodyweight movements
    3. when the gym owner is there, the radio stays on the local "Van Halen and Alice in Chains 24/7" station
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    That mines at work and there's really only one other dedicated lifter besides myself (means lots of room).
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    1) Super close to my house
    2) Next door to my work
    3) Low key, local establishment
    4) All the equipment I need
    5) Friendly staff
    6) Easy enough to get a quick spot
    7) Clean
    8) No lunk alarm
    9) Power lifts (and the accompanying weight drops) are allowed
    10) Mixed demographics
    11) Gym buddies (it still amazes my wife when we're out and I see someone I know and after talking for a bit, she asks how I know them and I say "the gym")
  • alisfitgoal
    alisfitgoal Posts: 32 Member
    It's in my basement!! My partner and I budgeted a bunch of money for a basement gym when we bought a new house. Power rack, squat stand, two benches, deadlift platform, three bars, 500 kgs of weights, spin bike, and various accessory stuff (dumbbells, boxes, bands, trx, DL jack, etc.). It's actually the sweetest home gym ever. Totally worth it. Plus the only other member is a hottie.
  • JoRocka
    drachfit wrote: »
    Pros

1. open 24 hours by card access
    2. lots of strong as hell powerlifters who are all friendly and willing to work in with you, take videos of you, spot, or even offer technique and programming advice
    3. $20/month no contract
    4. owned by a local, independent trainer who used to compete and coach
    5. local olympic weightlifting team practices; their coach will give you free form coaching if you show up for a session
    6. never had to wait in line for equipment
    7. all kinds of lifting toys; straps, belts, boxes, texas deadlift bar, safety squat bar, bands, deadlift jack, dip belt, olympic bars, bumper plates, kettlebells
    8. 3 dedicated deadlift platforms
    9. they have a real glute-ham raise
    10. everyone re-racks the weights and puts the clips and bars back in storage
    11. there is a boom-box with an Aux jack and anyone can connect to bluetooth.
    12. they are next door to a pizza shop

Cons

1. they are next door to a pizza shop
    2. the ceilings are low so there is not a good place to practice muscle ups and other bodyweight movements
    3. when the gym owner is there, the radio stays on the local "Van Halen and Alice in Chains 24/7" station

how is that a con- at all?

When I need a carb load- I have to pay for delivery to my gym. and yes- I have done that.
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Mine is proximity (a 2 minute bike ride for me).

Oh, and the mirrors... cause I look at myself a lot. What's better than 1 Hornsby? 10 Hornsbys....
    :insertdoucheyjokevoice:

as long as you don't have a shirt on- absolutely nothing wrong with that at all
    <insertcreeperstatus>
  • drachfit
    drachfit Posts: 217 Member
    JoRocka wrote: »

When I need a carb load- I have to pay for delivery to my gym. and yes- I have done that.

It's cutting season for me dontcha know. The struggle is real.
  • valskeete
    valskeete Posts: 53 Member
    It's small and definitely not a fancy gym, but what I love most is that I know where everything is. I can take care of business and get out in a reasonable amount of time
  • JoRocka
    drachfit wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »

It's cutting season for me dontcha know. The struggle is real.

ah well- that's fair enough. My LA fitness used to be right next to a ColdStones- I used to work at the gym- and for a snack I'd go get ice cream- so I'd be scanning members in while eating ice cream.

I was a cold hearted douche like that ;)