Does anybody know any exercises/workouts that burn a lot of calories and don't need equipment?

Options

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Not sure if running has been mentioned yet. For bonus calorie burns, run hills and/or do it on a treadmill with the incline jacked up. Prepare to suffer.
  • JbBee1
    JbBee1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hiking hills is really good. If you are significantly overweight or older and have not been running, starting running may cause damage to knees, ankles, feet, etc. You can get the same level of calorie burn by walking fast and adding hills. Walking is much safer for knees etc. After you get your weight down and strengthen your muscles & joints, then you might consider running.
  • jodidari
    jodidari Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    In home jogging/fast walks, check out youtube for walking exercises . Zumba. Plyometrics and HIIT exercise (HIIT isn't for everyone but you can burn up to 100 calories in 10 minutes0
  • sault_girl
    sault_girl Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Snowshoeing!
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Running.
  • hockeysniper8
    hockeysniper8 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Go up and down stairs or find bleachers and do frog jumps up steps
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    sault_girl wrote: »
    Snowshoeing!

Cross country skiing and hiking hills or if you have them, mountains.
  • Huge1993
    Huge1993 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I would definetely agree with all of you. Running is awesome.

For some people, running might not be an option. I have had to stay in some countries for some time (work) where it would not be considered safe to run outside alone. In this case, I had to improvise as well. I only had a well air conditioned room with a bed in it to exercise in, but the following setup worked wonders for me:
    - burpees
    - push ups
    - planks
    - mountain climbers
    - sit ups
    - crunches
    - repeat, repeat, repeat

Lock yourself in a room, put on some nice music and just go. I did this for 30 minutes everyday and at the end I was completely soaked in sweat lol. It takes a bit of discipline to do this every day, but once your body gets used to it, it will actually become fun. Especially the burpees. These things will be the most terrible exercise in the beginning, but will defenitely have your heartbeat skyrocket. :smile:
  • Irishsugar
    Irishsugar Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Not a runner here (maybe one day) but lots of great ideas... Think I may go get a jump rope today!!

I second the YouTube videos... I love the dancing ones. I have no rhythm and am very slow and awkward but they get me moving!
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Running finds that sweet spot of burning a lot of calories in a short period of time while allowing a sustained calorie burn. Swimming is the only thing better in that regard but you need a pool. Running also gets you outside so you'll get some much needed Vitamin D. As an added bonus, you already know how to do it but as with all exercise, you don't want to overdo it if you're a beginner.

One caution: It's not true that you need no equipment for running. You'll want athletic clothing that wicks away moisture (no cotton!) and most importantly, you'll want running shoes.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    you guys have it all wrong. "running" as most people qualify it requires equipment. You have to run completely naked.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Running Running Running.

Pushups, pullups, lunge-walks, aerobic dance, jumping jacks, waving your arms around, anything that gets your heart rate up and keeps it up by moving around will burn calories.
  • TrishaAnn13
    TrishaAnn13 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    There is an app called Sworkit that has a lot of different options! Squat!!!
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    I could be wrong on this and it may go against the others but running maybe be an option ;)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    wunning/walking/bodyweight workouts.
  • zira91
    zira91 Posts: 670 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Running like what others have said (personally, I hate running but of u like it, why not.)

And there is Dancing, HIIT, Hiking etc
  • rseneca724
    rseneca724 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Not everyone can run. I would love to because I know it is great cardio, but shin splints tell me "hell no you better not!"
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Run.