Running

Hi all.....
I'm about to start running.... Can any one help with advice please ...?

Replies

• sladey_182
    sladey_182 Posts: 98 Member
    When I started to run to lose weight I used adidas micoach. Brilliant app with good coaching programmes

• Dula73
    Dula73 Posts: 29 Member
    I've just completed couch to 5k - I've never run before and found the weekly progress just about right!
  • suzu_2
    suzu_2 Posts: 311 Member
    A well coached running program like a couch to 5K is great if you are lucky enough to find one starting at the same time the running bug bites you ;) . If your timing isn't quite that lucky then I would suggest heading straight to a good stand-alone running shoe store (nope, not talking your local Finish-Line at the mall). They will often have organized running groups and can pair you with someone that is willing to mentor.
    Key in that is:
    [*] The right shoes
    [*] Good form
    [*] Not trying to do too much too quickly
    [*] Hydration and nutrition
    [*] Safety
    [*] Where to run in your area
    [*] Running buddies!!!/list]
  • UG77
    UG77 Posts: 206 Member
    Hi all.....

Go to a specialty running store. If they don't put you on treadmill and watch you run in order to put you in the right shoe, you're not in a specialty running store.

After you have the shoes, ask them about socks. Go look at socks. They are really expensive, get over it and buy some anyway. The time you don't lose due to issues related to improper shoes, improperly fit shoes, and socks that retain water making your life hell, is worth it.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    UG77 wrote: »
    Go to a specialty running store. If they don't put you on treadmill and watch you run in order to put you in the right shoe, you're not in a specialty running store.

Most places I've been to just watch you in the parking lot.
    And you can get 95% there analyzing old running shoes - but that doesn't help starting out ;)

OP:
    Get decent shoes. Run. Slowly. That's all you have to worry about :D
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    UG77 wrote: »
    Hi all.....

After you have the shoes, ask them about socks. Go look at socks. They are really expensive, get over it and buy some anyway. The time you don't lose due to issues related to improper shoes, improperly fit shoes, and socks that retain water making your life hell, is worth it.

I'll add to this: Along with the socks, make sure you buy shorts and shirts that wick moisture away. You're going to be sweating. A lot. If you live where you have Winter to contend with, you'll also need special running jackets, pants and gloves and if it's really cold outside, you'll also want a headband to protect your ears and a hat. Personally I balk at the latter two and hit the treadmill when it's that cold.

Rain and wind are your enemies. I'll run in up to a light drizzle but running when it's windy is much harder than normal. Wind and cold together are a dangerous combination that are best to avoid.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited February 2016
    go to a running store and get evaluated for the right shoes-cheaper than dr visits
    go slow. most of us start off too fast and this can lead to shin splints or tendonitis, etc
    make sure you still count calories in and out, it's not a free pass
    read a lot, like the thread from above and the beginners section on Runner's World
    try a structured program if you like-many of us did a C25k program to get started
    cotton is not your friend
    bodyglide is
    discount stores have good deals on athletic wear
    consider a running club(not my thing)
    don't get discouraged with setbacks
    running in the rain is nice
    light snow is nice too
    ice is bad
    you will fall most likely-usually in front of a large number of people
    have fun
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    moyer566 wrote: »
    go to a running store and get evaluated for the right shoes-cheaper than dr visits
    go slow. most of us start off too fast and this can lead to shin splints or tendonitis, etc
    make sure you still count calories in and out, it's not a free pass
    read a lot, like the thread from above and the beginners section on Runner's World
    try a structured program if you like-many of us did a C25k program to get started
    cotton is not your friend
    bodyglide is
    discount stores have good deals on athletic wear
    consider a running club(not my thing)
    don't get discouraged with setbacks
    running in the rain is nice
    light snow is nice too
    ice is bad
    you will fall most likely-usually in front of a large number of people
    have fun

Love this advice...good stuff..

BTW gave up on cotton a long time ago and yes Body Glide is my friend for sure... LOL :) My neighbors think I am a crazy person when I run the rain, it is actually funny the looks I get..
  • lindsayh87
    lindsayh87 Posts: 167 Member
    Body glide
    BandAids on your nipples
    Good shoes
    Good music
    Reflective/bright colors
    Chapstick
    Take it slow - it's going to hurt at first
    Listen to your body
    As the poster above said, ice is not your friend, don't try to be a hero, you will fall in front of others (I did last week!)
    Track your calories if you are trying to lose weight, you may get crazy hungry & easily over do it
    Try to poop before you head out for a long run - or plan to pass by one at some point
    The first mile or two is rarely awesome, keep going it gets better
    Be prepared to get addicted :)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited February 2016
    um, put one foot in front of the other. Repeat until done.

But seriously... be a little more specific with your question and we can be a little more helpful with advice. Are you looking for coaching/training advice? Shoes/gear? Scheduling? Nutrition/calories?
  • therousehouse38
    therousehouse38 Posts: 48 Member
    lindsayh87 wrote: »
    Body glide
    BandAids on your nipples
    Good shoes
    Good music
    Reflective/bright colors
    Chapstick
    Listen to your body
    As the poster above said, ice is not your friend, don't try to be a hero, you will fall in front of others (I did last week!)
    Track your calories if you are trying to lose weight, you may get crazy hungry & easily over do it
    Try to poop before you head out for a long run - or plan to pass by one at some point
    lindsayh87 wrote: »
    Body glide
    BandAids on your nipples
    Good shoes
    Good music
    Reflective/bright colors
    Chapstick
    Listen to your body

• therousehouse38
    Wow thanks all for your fantastic advice ... I take it all on board.... What I'm looking to do is a 5 mile charity run.....!! I've lost 27 lb... And sort of sofa patato .... Starting gym next week
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited March 2016
    Wow thanks all for your fantastic advice ... I take it all on board.... What I'm looking to do is a 5 mile charity run.....!! I've lost 27 lb... And sort of sofa patato .... Starting gym next week

Sofa potato? That's is funny..

Still was not specific what advise you were looking for or specifics about the timing of the charity race you have scheduled.

So with that in mind, you have a lot of advice here, and since sofa potato, I say start out walking first. Then brisk walk, then brisk walk/with some light running, then running, and then start to set goals by your stop watch.

The key is both getting your cardiovascular system in check and putting pounding on your legs. Hopefully your charity run is some what far out enough to get your entire physical body and cardiovascular strength ready.

Starting the gym? You need to start on the pavement... if you plan to strength train at the gym, that will be helpful as long as you have time to do this and train for running..

Sort of confused the goals of going to gym and training for a 5 mile charity run.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited March 2016
    what are you running already? or at all.
    if not at all start with a b210k
    outside would be best but treadmill could work, maybe try ones with hills
  • erimethia_fekre
    erimethia_fekre Posts: 317 Member
    Get fitted for a good pair shoes and only use them when you run
  • therousehouse38
    Hi all thanks for the info.... I used to run a lot about 15 years ago... Due to life changes I stopped and become less fit and over weight....! Now I got my weight under control.... I'm starting afresh... So I'm going to start the gym 4 times a week....! I tried street ru I g but cannot get the motivation that I need ... In the gym enviroment I can fixate and it works best for me.... My charity run is in June ....! Do you think I have enough time ...?
    Thanks
    Colin
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Four months is reasonable to get to five miles. USe a Couch to 10K plan, which will take you over that distance.

Just be aware that if you're running the race in the real you should be training in the real, rather than in a gym. Maybe not all of your running, but at least some of the sessions.
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Don't run hard (like you can't even breath) all the time. Take it slow.
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Do try and run outside a bit, especially if your area is hilly. However, don't worry that most of your training is in the gym, especially if your goal is to finish/run the whole race/hopefully not be dead last.

I've run more than one half marathon with most daily training in the gym (I have four little kids...need someone to watch them!) and just weekend long runs outside.