completely frustrated - different results, same effort

Options

Replies

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options

^^truth and worth noting that OP is 150lbs (BMI of around 26 if I remember correctly when I calculated it back 1979 when this thread started).

:lol::lol::lol:
  • LushFix
    LushFix Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I would just like to give a round of applause to the MFP members who are trying to help the OP even after they virtually spit their advice rudely back into their face.

You guys make me proud to be apart of this community.
  • UprightMan
    UprightMan Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You're not the only person here who feels the "weigh your food" response is a pat answer. I lost 200 lbs without ever weighing a thing I ate.

The difference between you and normal people is that if they lost 200 lbs, they wouldn't exist. If you're incredibly fat or if you're a gym newbie, you can pretty much do anything that even smells like it's a step in the right direction and you'll see results. After that huge apparent initial success the real hard work begins.
  • Ellaskat
    Ellaskat Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    ok, said I wouldn 't come back - but I guess I lied - here I am. I weigh daily, and take measurements daily too - to the person who would like to believe I made up inches lost. Really? You so crazy.

Just wanted to say I've now lost an additional 3 pounds - that's from Saturday and Sunday.

So you see, THAT's why I didn't want to hear about scales. I knew something else was going on, I just didn't know what. I still have no idea why it took so long to kick it into weight loss mode, but apparently, it just took my body longer this time.

Yes scales work - I've never denied they do. I've only wanted to look for other potential ideas - because I was certain that was not what was going on with me. I ask the questions that I have. There are other possible responses than 'just use a scale'. Looking for different possibilities shouldn't make me a target. We're all looking for our own answers to our own questions - so why vilify mine? So silly.

• Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    @Ellaskat "We're all looking for our own answers to our own questions" That is very true so why subject yourself to ideas (not vilification) you didn't want to hear? Saying that, now that you lost 3 pounds from Saturday and Sunday you've opened up a new can of worms. Good luck with that and good luck with your journey.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Ellaskat wrote: »
    ok, said I wouldn 't come back - but I guess I lied - here I am. I weigh daily, and take measurements daily too - to the person who would like to believe I made up inches lost. Really? You so crazy.

Just wanted to say I've now lost an additional 3 pounds - that's from Saturday and Sunday.

So you see, THAT's why I didn't want to hear about scales. I knew something else was going on, I just didn't know what. I still have no idea why it took so long to kick it into weight loss mode, but apparently, it just took my body longer this time.

Yes scales work - I've never denied they do. I've only wanted to look for other potential ideas - because I was certain that was not what was going on with me. I ask the questions that I have. There are other possible responses than 'just use a scale'. Looking for different possibilities shouldn't make me a target. We're all looking for our own answers to our own questions - so why vilify mine? So silly.

sounds like you had water weight (could be for a variety of reasons) and you shed the excess water to show your actual loss. If you weight daily I suggest you do a 2 or 4 week rolling average of your weigh ins to better see your trends.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I wonder how much certain people (say, from a page ago) think of these three pounds were muscle.
  • rpachigo
    rpachigo Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    3 pounds...hmmm...something's rotten in Denmark
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I cook all my meals - I measure all my ingredients.I know my cal counts are right. I have only lost 2 pounds. I get down to 146, and then gain back to 148, and then go down to 146 or 7, again and again.

Hope you've found your solution now but losing 3 lbs and going back up again is exactly what you reported has been happening to you according to your OP so I wouldn't feel too sure yet.

• blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    *wanders into thread*

Hey, has anyone suggested a food scale?

*wanders out of thread*

796.gif

;)

• Shenvalleygurl
    Shenvalleygurl Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    1000 calories is way too low. Your body will down-regulate your metabolism to hold onto body fat and up-regulate fat storage. It thinks you're starving and will protect you. Your body is your friend and wants to protect you. Now be your body's friend and promise your friend: "Friend, I promise I will never eat fewer than 1,200 cals per day because even that is pretty gd close to starvation."

Fine. Now you and your friend have "made up." Next, fix your sleep. Bad sleep will make your body do the same thing. Bad sleep = stress. Your body-friend has a very old brain. And it's a one-track-mind brain. Your body-friend thinks stress = something bad is happening to meeeeeeee! I must conserve energy just in case!!! Fat storage and retention process: set to turbo mode. Engage.

Then ... trust ... the ... process. If you are doing everything "right" the magic will happen. Tape it to your mirror, your fridge, and your dog's forehead. Trust the process.
  • missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    Options

Glad you had a loss, and I hope it keeps going for you!

If I may, though, I'd suggest that you re-read the responses to this thread with the notion that perhaps you weren't being vilified as much as you might have felt. I don't think most people said that the ONLY way to lose weight was to use a food scale. Many just explained that inaccurate measurements is very often the cause of someone not losing or bouncing up and down the way you described, and that ignoring the one "easy" way to verify your logging may not have been the best approach when asking for help. Of course you will get a couple of flippant responses because this is the internet and not everyone uses their social filter. But the majority of the responses here were helpful I think, so please don't disregard everything you read just because you had a loss. You may indeed find yourself stalling again later, and there is a lot here that could potentially help you if you let it.

Best of luck!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    Please don't tell me to buy a scale and weigh, that measuring isn't enough. It worked very well for me last year, so that's not the issue - don't make it the issue.

..... so what do you want to hear? You know the issue but don't want to hear it.

We can't help you if you don't want to listen.

Last year is last year. This year is this year.

This is pretty pushy I think... We all know what year it is but don't KNOW each others problems from guessing, that's what makes it a guess.
    Don't add exercise calories onto your regular calories and be aware that you can appear kilograms heavier when you've had a lot of water. It'll all happen if you put the effort in.
    I personally got to 20 kilograms lost, then I was caught up novel writing last year and didn't get the the gym so it is up a bit again.

How is what I said pushy? What I said is true. Every year is going to be different. No one is going to be 100% the same or eat 100% the same. I certainly wouldn't lose at the same rate I did last year. I had a baby, my caloric requirements changed, I was breastfeeding, I wasn't exercising, and I ate like 2300 calories. This year I weaned, I got back into exercising, I weigh 20 lbs less and I'm eating closer to 1500 calories and I'm a year older so my caloric needs have all changed.

That's why OP can't expect the same results. Things change.
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options

I don't think anyone vilified your question. It was more of wondering why you were so opposed to something. I've always been one to eyeball food until recently, now that I'm getting closer to my goal weight it's not as easy to see weight drop off anymore so trying something new doesn't seem ridiculous. When you begin by telling everyone what NOT to say you come off abrasive, unreceptive and put a target on your head. You could've easily posed the same question and silently sorted through what you felt was and wasn't reasonable or didn't pertain to your personal situation.

Lastly- You never mentioned having a heart rate monitor so my question is how do you know you are putting in the same effort? Unless you have accurately tracked your heart rate then you really don't know if you are putting in the same effort. If you ran 1 mile last year and it took you 15mins and you ran a mile this year and it took you 15mins that does not mean that you put in the same effort. Your strides could be different, the amount of energy you exert could be different. You know, it's like the saying it's like riding a bicycle. The first time you learn is hard you have to put in a whole lot of effort, you wobble, you fall off, your body and muscles attempt to figure out it's balance until you get it, sometimes it takes hours, sometimes it takes days......... but if you don't ride a bike in 5 years when you do it again it's never like the first time. You're not as wobbly for as long, it'll only take a minute or 2......WHY? because you're muscles, well your body as a whole recognizes the activity and adapts quicker......I'm just saying...

Anyway, good luck
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    1000 calories is way too low. Your body will down-regulate your metabolism to hold onto body fat and up-regulate fat storage. It thinks you're starving and will protect you. Your body is your friend and wants to protect you. Now be your body's friend and promise your friend: "Friend, I promise I will never eat fewer than 1,200 cals per day because even that is pretty gd close to starvation."

Fine. Now you and your friend have "made up." Next, fix your sleep. Bad sleep will make your body do the same thing. Bad sleep = stress. Your body-friend has a very old brain. And it's a one-track-mind brain. Your body-friend thinks stress = something bad is happening to meeeeeeee! I must conserve energy just in case!!! Fat storage and retention process: set to turbo mode. Engage.

Then ... trust ... the ... process. If you are doing everything "right" the magic will happen. Tape it to your mirror, your fridge, and your dog's forehead. Trust the process.

no,her body will not hold onto fat because it thinks its starving. it doesnt work like that when it comes to weight loss.she should have still been losing weight on a lower calorie diet. no its not safe to eat so little but,she would have still lost weight.
  • zbakrjc
    zbakrjc Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Well... if you are that unwilling to address the one thing that you are not doing right I guess you will never know if it could solve your problem. The less you have to lose the smaller the room you have for error. Sounds to me like you can no longer get away with the slop in your measuring system if you want to make further progress.

We can't make something an issue. It either is the issue or it is not. and sorry to say but it is the most obvious flaw in your current program.

That's exactly right. The less you weight the less room you have for error. I need to drop about 10 lbs and that's much harder than losing the previous 10 before that. Just keep working at it.

zbakrjc
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    No - you are wrong - a scale is not the issue. If it was the issue, I would not have lost weight last year. Using a scale is a thoughtless pat answer on these boards - which is why I say that.

I lost all my weight last year without a scale, by measuring. I am doing exactly the same thing now. That is the issue I want help with - not some mindless MFP mantra of 'buy a scale'.

I am also not trying to lose additional weight. I am trying to lose the same weight (sadly) a second time.

Same starting weight
    Same recipes
    Same measuring system
    Same exercise amounts

Very different results - the same methods with different/no results is what i'm looking for insight on. Why is this happening.

I asked nicely for help - so please don't throw your nasty 'you're sloppy, don't want to hear it, etc comments at me - not the case.

What if we show you, instead of tell you? Please, please, please watch this video, @ellaskat. It's only three minutes of your life. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpHykP6e_Uk

I was looking for this video earlier. Thanks for posting it!

By the beard of Zeus! I'll be dammed.
  • Shenvalleygurl
    Shenvalleygurl Posts: 27 Member
    Options

no,her body will not hold onto fat because it thinks its starving. it doesnt work like that when it comes to weight loss.she should have still been losing weight on a lower calorie diet. no its not safe to eat so little but,she would have still lost weight.

True story bro: http://www.womenshealthmag.com/weight-loss/too-few-calories
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

Did you just cite Women's Health Mag?

I'll see your registered dietician cite and raise you a random blogger: http://amydix.com/youre-not-in-starvation-mode/
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »

Did you just cite Women's Health Mag?

Lol