What do you love most about your gym?

Options
13»

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Mine is proximity (a 2 minute bike ride for me).

Oh, and the mirrors... cause I look at myself a lot. What's better than 1 Hornsby? 10 Hornsbys....
    :insertdoucheyjokevoice:
  • lizzieloo934
    lizzieloo934 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I go to the Ymca, I LOVE:

-that I get a free membership with my school tuition
    -there is a huge variety of classes
    -always machines available
    -4 blocks from my home
    -the staff is very positive and supportive!!
    -they have a pool
  • drachfit
    drachfit Posts: 217 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Pros

1. open 24 hours by card access
    2. lots of strong as hell powerlifters who are all friendly and willing to work in with you, take videos of you, spot, or even offer technique and programming advice
    3. $20/month no contract
    4. owned by a local, independent trainer who used to compete and coach
    5. local olympic weightlifting team practices; their coach will give you free form coaching if you show up for a session
    6. never had to wait in line for equipment
    7. all kinds of lifting toys; straps, belts, boxes, texas deadlift bar, safety squat bar, bands, deadlift jack, dip belt, olympic bars, bumper plates, kettlebells
    8. 3 dedicated deadlift platforms
    9. they have a real glute-ham raise
    10. everyone re-racks the weights and puts the clips and bars back in storage
    11. there is a boom-box with an Aux jack and anyone can connect to bluetooth.
    12. they are next door to a pizza shop

Cons

1. they are next door to a pizza shop
    2. the ceilings are low so there is not a good place to practice muscle ups and other bodyweight movements
    3. when the gym owner is there, the radio stays on the local "Van Halen and Alice in Chains 24/7" station
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    That mines at work and there's really only one other dedicated lifter besides myself (means lots of room).
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    1) Super close to my house
    2) Next door to my work
    3) Low key, local establishment
    4) All the equipment I need
    5) Friendly staff
    6) Easy enough to get a quick spot
    7) Clean
    8) No lunk alarm
    9) Power lifts (and the accompanying weight drops) are allowed
    10) Mixed demographics
    11) Gym buddies (it still amazes my wife when we're out and I see someone I know and after talking for a bit, she asks how I know them and I say "the gym")
  • alisfitgoal
    alisfitgoal Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    It's in my basement!! My partner and I budgeted a bunch of money for a basement gym when we bought a new house. Power rack, squat stand, two benches, deadlift platform, three bars, 500 kgs of weights, spin bike, and various accessory stuff (dumbbells, boxes, bands, trx, DL jack, etc.). It's actually the sweetest home gym ever. Totally worth it. Plus the only other member is a hottie.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    drachfit wrote: »
    Pros

1. open 24 hours by card access
    2. lots of strong as hell powerlifters who are all friendly and willing to work in with you, take videos of you, spot, or even offer technique and programming advice
    3. $20/month no contract
    4. owned by a local, independent trainer who used to compete and coach
    5. local olympic weightlifting team practices; their coach will give you free form coaching if you show up for a session
    6. never had to wait in line for equipment
    7. all kinds of lifting toys; straps, belts, boxes, texas deadlift bar, safety squat bar, bands, deadlift jack, dip belt, olympic bars, bumper plates, kettlebells
    8. 3 dedicated deadlift platforms
    9. they have a real glute-ham raise
    10. everyone re-racks the weights and puts the clips and bars back in storage
    11. there is a boom-box with an Aux jack and anyone can connect to bluetooth.
    12. they are next door to a pizza shop

Cons

1. they are next door to a pizza shop
    2. the ceilings are low so there is not a good place to practice muscle ups and other bodyweight movements
    3. when the gym owner is there, the radio stays on the local "Van Halen and Alice in Chains 24/7" station

how is that a con- at all?

When I need a carb load- I have to pay for delivery to my gym. and yes- I have done that.
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Mine is proximity (a 2 minute bike ride for me).

Oh, and the mirrors... cause I look at myself a lot. What's better than 1 Hornsby? 10 Hornsbys....
    :insertdoucheyjokevoice:

as long as you don't have a shirt on- absolutely nothing wrong with that at all
    <insertcreeperstatus>
  • drachfit
    drachfit Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

When I need a carb load- I have to pay for delivery to my gym. and yes- I have done that.

It's cutting season for me dontcha know. The struggle is real.
  • valskeete
    valskeete Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    It's small and definitely not a fancy gym, but what I love most is that I know where everything is. I can take care of business and get out in a reasonable amount of time
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    drachfit wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »

It's cutting season for me dontcha know. The struggle is real.

ah well- that's fair enough. My LA fitness used to be right next to a ColdStones- I used to work at the gym- and for a snack I'd go get ice cream- so I'd be scanning members in while eating ice cream.

I was a cold hearted douche like that ;)