D&D 5e players, assemble!!

Options
samanthachen
samanthachen Posts: 360 Member
Any Dungeons & Dragons players in the house?

I'm new to the world, about 1 year, but I have wanted to play nearly my entire adult life.

Just wondering if there were any others on MFP? If so, what are you currently playing or plan to play?

Me: Dwarven Druid, level 6

Next campaign: hoping a barbarian!

Replies

• TheCrawlingChaos
    TheCrawlingChaos Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    lauranorr wrote: »
    I have always wanted to play. We used to play Magic The Gathering card game, but we played it in a group (Rolling Sevens) instead of just a two player duel. I wish I could remember how we played it because I'd like to teach my kids lol. Dungeons and Dragons is something I've always wanted to try.

You stole my answer! I used to play a lot of Mtg when I was younger. I've been trying to get friends to give a go to D&D or some other rpg because I've never really played one, outside of one session of Vampire: The Masquerade, where how to play was very poorly explained to me and I was just confused the whole time. I have plenty of people who would be willing to try, but nobody willing to GM, so... I guess I'm stuck with board games.
  • wblackburn02
    wblackburn02 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Have yall tried playing "sword coast"? It's a video game made to be played the same way as D&D. Can be played with 4 players and a DM online.
  • samanthachen
    Options
    I don't work for the group or anything, but I believe this site gives you locations to find D&D meet-ups.

http://www.meetup.com/topics/dnd/

^That link might be more in line with finding a permanent group, or a missing member, aka a DM or player

http://dnd.wizards.com/playevents

^That link will take you to places that host free gatherings that get newbies and experienced players together for no commitment meet-ups.

I play with some regulars at a gaming store meet-up, set-up by Wizards of the Coast. Anyone can show up, and there is no commitment necessary. However, our place has a really wonderful Dungeon Master (a handful of them, actually), so a bunch of us strangers stuck with him. We are now his regulars, and we are all really great friends.

I would definitely look into finding a place. What's nice is you can go alone or with a few people. A little warning is if you show up with a full group, you may be split because most of these things are first come first serve. All you need is the dice, pencil, and paper. I bought the player's handbook, so I'd know what the h*** I was doing, but most places don't require it.

I hope this helps!! I'm new to D&D, but I quickly learned how much I was missing out on by waiting until my adult life to join. Wish I would have started this years ago.
  • samanthachen
    Options
    Sorry it took me so long to respond. I saw these comments this morning, but I only had my little iPod on me, and commenting is a huge hassle.

I think I've heard about Sword Coast. Have you tried it?
  • samanthachen
    Options

Forgot to quote you when I asked my question. :blush:
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    We play Sword Coast legends quite a bit since it's release. It's fun. I play D&D on occasion but really prefer the computer games to the role play. I love MTG and will play that anytime I can get someone to play with me. I'm not interested in tournaments or groups, we just play with friends and family.
  • cjferguson40
    cjferguson40 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I used to play 3ed AD&D way back in the good old days. I'd still play it in a heartbeat but I just don't have the time anymore. It's a really fun game...but it *does* take time.

I play a lot of HearthStone on my Ipad-mini now-a-days. It's a fun card game that is entertaining yet fairly quick.
  • samanthachen
    Options
    We play Sword Coast legends quite a bit since it's release. It's fun. I play D&D on occasion but really prefer the computer games to the role play. I love MTG and will play that anytime I can get someone to play with me. I'm not interested in tournaments or groups, we just play with friends and family.

I have always wanted to learn MTG. :disappointed: I heard it's a pretty large financial commitment
    I used to play 3ed AD&D way back in the good old days. I'd still play it in a heartbeat but I just don't have the time anymore. It's a really fun game...but it *does* take time.

I play a lot of HearthStone on my Ipad-mini now-a-days. It's a fun card game that is entertaining yet fairly quick.

It does take time. The meet-ups I do are 2 hours/week in the evening once / week. For me, it is my get away time to be alone and without two kids haha :smiley:

Many of the people I play with have only ever played 3rd edition before this edition. I heard they are similar in rules?! I've no experience with 3e, so I don't know
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

I have always wanted to learn MTG. :disappointed: I heard it's a pretty large financial commitment

It depends on how hard core you are about it and how quickly you want to build a deck. You could spend a lot of $ on one really good card. I really couldn't guess how much money we have in our own decks. They have been built over decades, but we've only spent money for a single card on a couple of occasions. We pick up old decks at thrift stores and such and scour them for good cards.

The thing I don't like is how difficult it is to find tournament decks these days. We have quite a few that we've picked up over the years and usually use these when playing with novices to level the playing field.
  • samanthachen
    Options

It depends on how hard core you are about it and how quickly you want to build a deck. You could spend a lot of $ on one really good card. I really couldn't guess how much money we have in our own decks. They have been built over decades, but we've only spent money for a single card on a couple of occasions. We pick up old decks at thrift stores and such and scour them for good cards.

The thing I don't like is how difficult it is to find tournament decks these days. We have quite a few that we've picked up over the years and usually use these when playing with novices to level the playing field.

Oh, I bet. It's probably because it's getting really popular again. It's no longer a "bad" thing to enjoy table top stuff. It was nearly impossible to find a used player's handbook for D&D. Anytime a used book store gets one, they sell it immediately.

• moogplayer
    moogplayer Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've played since I was 12! It was fun during that summer :)
  • cjferguson40
    cjferguson40 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I played all through High School with a core group of what turned out to be my best friends. We played all through College when we could and have even met up a few times since college to game. Now a days we just get together and drink and play card games of some sort...like Magic: The Gathering...or some new game that came out that we want to try.
  • samanthachen
    Options
    moogplayer wrote: »
    I don't think I've played since I was 12! It was fun during that summer :)

OOOoooOOO come back! It's still amazing and they've added new races you can play :smile:
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,120 Member
    Options
    I played back when it was just D&D and into 2nd Edition. Have not played in decades though. I may still have some of the book from back then.
  • samanthachen
    Options
    Isn't that amazing! We have a guy that bounces from group to group and even DMs on occasion. He got into it when it was just D&D. He says that this might be his favorite (5e that is).
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,120 Member
    Options
    If I had the time I would check it out, but really at this point it is a time thing.
  • samanthachen
    Options
    I totally get it :smiley:
  • sault_girl
    sault_girl Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    @SaultperMan and I have been playing Magic since we were teenagers, but I could never get into D & D the way he did. I would certainly not have time for D & D these days; seems like every game is like 8 hours long?! Who has time for that?! :)
  • samanthachen
    Options
    sault_girl wrote: »
    @SaultperMan and I have been playing Magic since we were teenagers, but I could never get into D & D the way he did. I would certainly not have time for D & D these days; seems like every game is like 8 hours long?! Who has time for that?! :)

Those that play from home with their own groups usually do play for that amount of time.

The meet-ups set up by the company (all over the U.S.) are usually 2ish hours. It's still quite a commitment though :smile: