GM diet plan

Options
Trying to lose weight since the past 6 years... Always returning to square 1 within a few weeks. But now it has become a necessity. Recently found out that I have multiple disc prolapse. So... I cant exercise for now. And i am trying to lose weight by dieting. Combining the <1200 calories and the general motors diet plan... I lost 1.6kg on day 1...
Hope this works!!

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    As someone who also struggled for many years - with all the best of intentions towards you - stop with the fad diets. They just end in tears. Learn to lose weight in a sensible, moderate way by doing things you can keep up with for the rest of your life. It's the path to real success.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    What happens after day 7?

Diets like these are unrealistic and hardly sustainable - you want to eat this way for the rest of your life? Lose a bit for a week and then gain it back and more when you go back to eating normally? I've seen this diet posted many times around here over the years, never with good or permanent results.

Better off just eating regular meals within your calorie goals. Use MFP as it's intended - it's a great tool.

Eat your calories, drink water, exercise, take rest days, get good sleep, and have patience. Might take longer, but totally worth it to lose it and keep it off.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    GM DIET

Rapid and significant, with reported losses of 5 to 10 lbs. in a week.

Pros
    Potentially better-than-average weight loss

Cons
    May cause detox side effects that include sudden muscle weakness, fatigue, hunger, dehydration, dizziness, headache, and low energy; strong likelihood of gaining back weight after returning to normal habits

Duration
    7 days

Exercise
    No specific recommendations other than “at least ten minutes a day”

Restrictions
    Highly restricted, mostly fruit & vegetable menu.

Support
    A few forums – nothing official

Origins
    Source not conclusively verified

Audience
    Men & women

More Details Below

Well at least they were honest about the Cons in the internet piece I found on the GM diet. Essentially starving will have that impact on a lot of people.
  • meethsrivastava890
    Options
    Thank you people! This is the first time i am trying it. And fad diets are not my thing. However I need to lose weight superfast if I can get my back better in time for final exams! Which is at the end of next month
  • yoamba
    yoamba Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I started it today. I don't do fad diets, and I'm someone who is in pretty good shape and not over weight. I have become a little soft and squishy due to"having too much fun lately". This will give me the jump start I need so I can then continue to eat healthy. This is more of a detox than a diet and I see nothing wrong with doing it for only 7 days. The goal is to eat completely healthy after this is over, then repeat in a month if necessary. good luck!
  • fvtfan
    fvtfan Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure by day 7 I wouldn't be able to get out of bed:

Day # 1 –Consume only fruits throughout the day. You can eat all fruit other than bananas. Good choices include melon and watermelon. Drink plenty of water. Another option is to place a variety of fruit in a blender and pour in a thermos. This works great if you are headed out to work, school, the gym or wherever.

Day # 2 – Eat all the raw or cooked vegetables you can consume. You may start your day with a baked potato for breakfast with oil or butter. You can enjoy all your vegetables as a salad and use white or wine vinegar, lemon and herbs for flavoring. Do NOT use salad dressing. You’ll blow the whole diet.

Day # 3 – Combine both fruits and vegetables in any amount without bananas or potatoes. Fruits and vegetables can be combined in a blender as well for a quick way to consume them on the go.

Day # 4 – Milk and bananas are the choices for the day. Eat as many as 8 bananas and drink at least 3 glasses of any kind of unsweetened milk. The potassium in the bananas and the calcium in the milk are a key part of this diet. This is the day you can enjoy the special soup along with your bananas and milk. Most likely, you will not be able to eat all 8 bananas in one day.

Day # 5 - Enjoy a celebration meal of beef and tomatoes that includes two 10-ounce portions of lean meat or hamburger with six whole tomatoes. It is important to increase your water intake to help your body get rid of the uric acid that you will be producing on this day. Aim for an increase of water by one quart.

Day # 6 – On this day, you can consume unlimited amounts of high, lean protein and vegetables.

Day # 7 – Whew! The last day consists of eating all the vegetables you can consume, fruit juices and brown rice. No meta. Make sure the fruit juice is not from a concentrate or bottled with added sugar. If you have access to a juicer, the sky is the limit with creating your fruit juices.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    So...

On day 2 you can have a potato... but if you eat it on days 1 or 3 YOU'LL BLOW THE DIET.

NO BANANAS on days 1-3, but on day 4 EAT ALL THE BANANAS.

I'm just... wow.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    If you need your back better- try physical therapy exercises to strengthen your core, and physical therapy exercises to to stretch your back muscles and keep them in condition to get the weight off your spine bones and onto your muscle load. If you can't see a physical therapist, look on youtube for the gentlest, smartest-looking exercises and start small in short increments. As your back and core muscles strengthen they'll get easier.

Cleanse diets like the General Motors Diet, Venus Factor, etc, will just malnourish you, make you feel hungry and sick and you'll gain the weight back after the initial program is over.
    Stick to 1200 calories a day + half your exercise (and walking in five-ten minute intervals is recommended for herniated disc patients) and eat a well balanced meal with a mix of vegetables, whole grains, proteins and fruits. WIll it get you where you need to be in a month? Probably not. You didn't get where you are in a single month, and getting better is going to take some real time. BUT it will help you FEEL better and stronger and you may be ready to sit your final exams just fine.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't always care for Livestrong as a source, but this is pretty sensible: http://www.livestrong.com/article/72757-general-motors-cleansing-diet/
    Despite its name, the General Motors cleansing diet was not developed by -- nor is it affiliated with -- General Motors, a company spokesman reported in 2009. Also known as the Sacred Heart diet, the Cleveland Clinic diet and the Spokane Heart diet, the plan has been criticized by nutrition experts as being an unhealthy and unsustainable way to lose weight. Talk to your doctor before beginning any version of the General Motors diet.

and
    The General Motors cleansing diet meets the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics' definition of a fad program that dieters should avoid: It does not advocate exercise, it claims specific foods and food combinations will trigger weight loss and promises to help you lose a significant number of pounds in a short amount of time. University of Florida nutritional scientist Elaine Turner adds that the majority of weight you may lose on the plan is water, and that most dieters will regain the pounds once they return to their normal eating habits
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    yoamba wrote: »
    I started it today. I don't do fad diets, and I'm someone who is in pretty good shape and not over weight. I have become a little soft and squishy due to"having too much fun lately". This will give me the jump start I need so I can then continue to eat healthy. This is more of a detox than a diet and I see nothing wrong with doing it for only 7 days. The goal is to eat completely healthy after this is over, then repeat in a month if necessary. good luck!

You contradicted yourself within the span of nine words.

Humans do not need jump starts ... food doesn't detox a human body ... portion after portion of your post is just wrong.

It is interesting that a person claiming not to do fad diets sought out a thread about a particular one, resurrected it from the dead, only to concede that you not only are doing a fad diet but will possibly do so again in a month.
  • fvtfan
    fvtfan Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    So...

On day 2 you can have a potato... but if you eat it on days 1 or 3 YOU'LL BLOW THE DIET.

NO BANANAS on days 1-3, but on day 4 EAT ALL THE BANANAS.

I'm just... wow.

NO SALAD DRESSING or you might as well just quit apparently.

And no protein until day 5? Yeah...right!

I did have to laugh at the 8 bananas in one day....
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Thank you people! This is the first time i am trying it. And fad diets are not my thing. However I need to lose weight superfast if I can get my back better in time for final exams! Which is at the end of next month
    With this diet, your brain will be very fuzzy and you'll be sluggish... not a thing you'd want during exams, is it?

I agree with this:
    As someone who also struggled for many years - with all the best of intentions towards you - stop with the fad diets. They just end in tears. Learn to lose weight in a sensible, moderate way by doing things you can keep up with for the rest of your life. It's the path to real success.
    Please listen to those with the experience..

We've all been there and done that. Experience beats internet BS any day.

yoamba wrote: »
    Um.... these two sentences contradict each other. What you're doing now IS a fad diet. Also, the body does NOT need a detox if your liver and kidneys are doing fine (and I am sure that they are, otherwise you wouldn't be on the internet typing about doing this fad diet). Detoxes are all BS and faddy.
  • iecreamheadaches
    iecreamheadaches Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I don't always care for Livestrong as a source, but this is pretty sensible: http://www.livestrong.com/article/72757-general-motors-cleansing-diet/
    Despite its name, the General Motors cleansing diet was not developed by -- nor is it affiliated with -- General Motors, a company spokesman reported in 2009. Also known as the Sacred Heart diet, the Cleveland Clinic diet and the Spokane Heart diet, the plan has been criticized by nutrition experts as being an unhealthy and unsustainable way to lose weight. Talk to your doctor before beginning any version of the General Motors diet.

and
    The General Motors cleansing diet meets the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics' definition of a fad program that dieters should avoid: It does not advocate exercise, it claims specific foods and food combinations will trigger weight loss and promises to help you lose a significant number of pounds in a short amount of time. University of Florida nutritional scientist Elaine Turner adds that the majority of weight you may lose on the plan is water, and that most dieters will regain the pounds once they return to their normal eating habits

Thank you for clarifying. I was like....what the hell does General Motors know about nutrition?!??!?!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

I want to know why somebody decided to call it the GM diet. I can kind of understand Sacred Heart, Cleveland Clinic, and Spokane Heart. Those all give the impression that they are backed by a medical facility. But GM?

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    The first three days would result in a mushroom cloud where my bathroom used to be.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    The first three days would result in a mushroom cloud where my bathroom used to be.

Lol. The fourth is there to plug you back up again :grimace:
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Eight bananas? EIGHT FREAKING BANANAS!!!! You have got to be kidding me.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Those of you who have started the GM diet, I have news for you. You have been sucked in to a fad diet. This is not sustainable.

OP, if you must lose quickly to reduce the strain in your back, I have seen our government regulated medical team prescribe an Optifast diet to select patients. They are monitored very closely to watch for malnutrition, etc. You really don't want a Very Low Calorie Diet (VLCD). These diets force the body to pirate muscles for needed calories. You don't need to lose any muscle mass.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

I want to know why somebody decided to call it the GM diet. I can kind of understand Sacred Heart, Cleveland Clinic, and Spokane Heart. Those all give the impression that they are backed by a medical facility. But GM?

I have been wondering this since the day I first heard of it.

It's not like we are living in the age of Engine Charlie Wilson and "What's good for General Motors is good for the country" or where GM even comes across as super competent or knowledgeable. Nor am I aware that GM employees are stereotyped as being super fit.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options