What are some of your cooking disasters?

Options

Replies

• beautifulsparkles
    beautifulsparkles Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Just before, I had all the leafy bits of a celery left over, so I juiced it with some water, than I added the leftover greek yoghurt, lots of cinnamon and two ripe bananas... the first sip tasted okay, not great when I first had it in my mouth, then the after taste was foul... I don't often waste food, but I spat it out. I will have to figure out what to do with left over celery leafs.
  • blondie_mfp
    blondie_mfp Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I was making a batch of cinnamon-caramel popcorn, which required melting the caramel ingredients in the microwave. I used my regular kitchenaid plastic bowl like I had used many times prior... only this time, when I took it out of the microwave, the entire bottom of the bowl fell through and spilled boiling hot caramel everywhere! thankfully, I jumped out of the way and was not burned. :blush:

lesson learned: always heat things in the microwave using GLASS bowls.
  • beautifulsparkles
    Options
    From my facebook page "So, I brought the ingredients for vegetable/chicken soup a week ago, and I still haven't made it! The celery looks like its seen better days. What a dork!

I had a bad cooking experience with it last year which has put me off making/eating it, hopefully not forever. Basically, I couldn't be bothered making soup, so I kept putting it off. Eventually, I cut up the celery, onion, carrots and cabbage and put them in the pot. I couldn't be bothered cooking them, so I left them in the fridge for a day or two, then cooked it. The soup looked funny and tasted kind of weird."
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    My husband says burnt is his favorite flavor... :D
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Just before, I had all the leafy bits of a celery left over, so I juiced it with some water, than I added the leftover greek yoghurt, lots of cinnamon and two ripe bananas... the first sip tasted okay, not great when I first had it in my mouth, then the after taste was foul... I don't often waste food, but I spat it out. I will have to figure out what to do with left over celery leafs.
    I use celery tops and other vegetable scraps when I'm making chicken or vegetable stock.
  • beautifulsparkles
    Options
    I tried making hawaiian or margaretta calzone (folded over pizza), and the insides tasted horrible and the pizza dough kept expanding and expanding. It did not look or taste right, lol. I had a delicious calzone with my friends when I lived in the UK and really wanted to learn how to have it at home.
  • beautifulsparkles
    Options
    acheben wrote: »
    I use celery tops and other vegetable scraps when I'm making chicken or vegetable stock.

I've never make stock. What do you do it with? how do you store it? we don't have a very good freezer at the moment.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I tried a crock pot pinterest recipe with chicken, stuffing mix, cream of chicken soup, sour cream (maybe? I can't remember exactly) and green beans. I know my crock pot runs hot so I let it cook on "keep warm" while I was gone. Came home to a dried out, burnt mess. I tried to salvage the top part that wasn't scorched, but you just couldn't avoid the burnt taste. I ended up tossing all of it :(

• quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    At 46, I've had an awful lot of cooking disasters.

I've never make stock. What do you do it with? how do you store it? we don't have a very good freezer at the moment.

In answer to your stock question, I use stock for soups, pot pies, stews... Hmmmmm yummy stuff!
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options

I use it in soups/stews and to cook rice/orzo. You can usually replace water with stock for more flavor. I store it in the fridge for about a week or freeze in individual servings.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    Only pots and pans go on the stove top.

Oh yeah.... I forgot about the day I learned that particular lesson. Oops. (Glass casserole dish, in my case.)

Yes, I did this with a stone casserole dish, luckily it didn't shatter and the family ate whatever was in it and then threw the dish away.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I like to bake and generally do well, but my mom gave me a recipe for tiramisu cupcakes. Not sure what happened, but they were not right. They tasted fine, but looked bad....I turned them into a tiramisu trifle.
  • cs4156
    cs4156 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I
    wanted to make falafel - got it already to fry and it was too moist....So I had tons of Hummus!
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I really wanted cookies but only had whole wheat flour. I made them anyway, without adjusting the recipe... not good.
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I tried to boil an egg in the microwave...
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Chocolate vodka chillis

They looked good, they tasted bloody awful
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I was making homemade chocolate ice cream at my parents while talking on the phone with my best friend. After the ice cream maker finished we all got a big bowl full. A big bowl full of straight cocoa powder flavored ice cream. Completely bitter. I'd forgotten the 2 cups of sugar. Wasted 1/2 gallon of milk, 3 eggs, plus the other ingredients as well as an hour. Had to wash everything and completely start over. Two hours later, after a trip to the market, we had real ice cream.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Great topic. As it turns out, when making cheesy biscuit and homemade lasagna, the mozza goes in the biscuits and the ricotta goes in the lasagna. Was there company over? I think you know the answer to that ...
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I also once put a 6 pound roast with veg into a Crockpot and went to work. 9 hours later I returned expecting that wonderful smell upon coming through the door. Instead I had a spoiled roast that had set at room temperature for 9 hours because I forgot to turn the darned thing on.

Wasted $20 and ended up having to order pizza. I hate pizza.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Cynsonya wrote: »
    I was making homemade chocolate ice cream at my parents while talking on the phone with my best friend. After the ice cream maker finished we all got a big bowl full. A big bowl full of straight cocoa powder flavored ice cream. Completely bitter. I'd forgotten the 2 cups of sugar. Wasted 1/2 gallon of milk, 3 eggs, plus the other ingredients as well as an hour. Had to wash everything and completely start over. Two hours later, after a trip to the market, we had real ice cream.

oh geez - this sounds like something I would do. How many times have I said, "I wonder what went wrong ..." :)