I went from morbidly obese to 6 pack abs! Ask me Anything

Options

Replies

• vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering if you have big family members? I have a lot of obesity in my family and so I keep thinking that whatever I do I could never look like this because of genetics. This all despite the fact my three siblings are all at a very healthy weight including my sister who has had 4 kids. I've got a lot of cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents, my mom, etc who were all overweight. When I started here in January I was 367 and my last weigh in was 342. I've cut way back on calories and have been doing cardio almost everyday. Based on the research I've done and what you corroborate here I have a plan to start incorporate strength training very soon ( I did cardio so far just so I can feel like I can breathe again while exercising). How long were your strength training exercises? (Sorry if you've answered either of those, I just don't have the time to scroll through 63 pages of comments).
    Yes, while my immediate family is normal weight for height, obesity as well as coronary artery disease runs in both sides of my family. Genetics will not stop you from being as lean as you want. Anyone can accomplish that. No one is destined to be fat. Genetics do make it harder for certain individuals to get lean, but never impossible. Also, most people have average genetics (hence average). Those who are genetically predisposed to obesity must remember that regardless of genetics, obesity is a 100% modifiable condition. You might have to eat a little less, exercise a little more, and be hungry more often than someone with no predisposition, but it is completely in your control to be as lean as you desire. Strength training for beginners doing a 3x a week total body workout should take around an hour to accomplish, maybe a bit longer.
    Congrats!

My question might not pertain, but since I saw you mention the 5X5 lifting program, I figured I'd ask just in case...

Is a program like that available or possible 100% from home, more meaning one with limited equipment? My husband and I own our healthcare business, and we don't have money to spend on memberships to any gym. I'd love to start lifting. Open to suggestions!! If it's outside your experience, I totally understand.

Thanks in advanced!!
    It would help if you let me know what you have access to in order to give you an idea of how to proceed.
    Congrats!

My question might not pertain, but since I saw you mention the 5X5 lifting program, I figured I'd ask just in case...

Is a program like that available or possible 100% from home, more meaning one with limited equipment? My husband and I own our healthcare business, and we don't have money to spend on memberships to any gym. I'd love to start lifting. Open to suggestions!! If it's outside your experience, I totally understand.

Thanks in advanced!!

I do the 5x5 program at home. You'll need a barbell and a weight bench for doing bench presses. For squats you'll need some kind of squat rack. Some weight benches double as a squat rack. I use a poor man's squat rack (two ladders! lol) Other than that you just need weights. If you're on a budget I strongly suggest looking on Craig's list. There's always someone trying to get rid of weights, weight benches etc. If you or your husband is handy, I've seen many people build squat racks.

Thank you so much!!! It has been a while since I commented, and I worried that my question was stupid, hence the lack of replies. Haha :smile: Appreciate the info!!
    Your question wasn't stupid, I just don't respond to this thread more than a few times a week. I prefer to answer multiple questions at a time and routinely leave one or two unanswered to give the thread a shameless bump when it falls far down from the top :smiley:
  • samanthachen
    samanthachen Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    Your question wasn't stupid, I just don't respond to this thread more than a few times a week. I prefer to answer multiple questions at a time and routinely leave one or two unanswered to give the thread a shameless bump when it falls far down from the top :smiley:

Haha fair enough! :smiley:

Congratulations again on your success. It's clear that you worked very hard (and I'm sure, continue to). And again, thank you!!!

• vismal
    Options
    I feel like my weight loss is very slow and I am not noticing a difference around my waist and thighs etc. I started at 280 and now I'm at 260. So how long did it take you to start noticing a difference? It's irritating to see the numbers on the scale go down but not see anything as a result. @vismal

Congrats btw!!

How fast are you losing the weight? A 20 lb loss is significant but if you are just starting out, a sizeable portion of those 20 lbs may be water weight. Gains and losses in water weight are less visually apparent the more overweight you are. How many calories per day are you consuming? How many lbs a week are you losing?

I cannot say for certain exactly how many lbs you will have to lose for it to be noticeable as that varies from person to person.
  • lisahutchinson4work
    Options
    orangbatak wrote: »
    For the first 3 months, how many calories were you consuming a day?

During the same time for fitness, did you focus more on cardio or resistance?

Any issue with loose skin? Did you get surgery done?
    I'm curious about the answer to this
  • plectrum29
    plectrum29 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this. Even though I am well into my journey I still look for those story's that continue to motivate me. My start was 307 pounds and I weighed in this morning at 230 pounds. My target is 195 as well. Absolutely amazing and thanks again for sharing.
  • adescio
    adescio Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Wow! You're seriously amazing! What do you recommend for women? I'm a 24 y/o and I went from a diet that made me loose a lot of weight making me be under weight (but probably because of muscle loss, not fat loss) to binge eating and a little overweight; I feel like IIFYM is the only way of eating that would work for me, but I'm confused about the amount of macros I have to consume, also about how to train. I wanna burn fat and have a Very lean BF % (20-22, I'm currently in 28,5%) but I'm not looking forward to build muscle or look bulky as for bikini competitions or anything like that, I just wanna be lean and fit, a little toned but that's it... I don't know how to lift and how to distribute my macros (mostly the protein/carbs ratio) and I really want to figure it out!
  • vismal
    Options
    orangbatak wrote: »
    For the first 3 months, how many calories were you consuming a day?

During the same time for fitness, did you focus more on cardio or resistance?

Any issue with loose skin? Did you get surgery done?
    I'm curious about the answer to this
    All three of these questions were answered previously in more detail earlier in the tread. For a short answer, I did not count calories initially. I ate very few calories during the week and probably overate by a bit on the weekends. Things probably averaged out to a moderate to high weekly deficit. A focus on both cardio and resistance training is important but I place priority on resistance training. I have very mild loose skin that still improves each year. I did not undergo surgery.
  • Yurie222
    Yurie222 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    oh wow!!!!!!!! Good job!!!
  • vismal
    Options
    adescio wrote: »
    Wow! You're seriously amazing! What do you recommend for women? I'm a 24 y/o and I went from a diet that made me loose a lot of weight making me be under weight (but probably because of muscle loss, not fat loss) to binge eating and a little overweight; I feel like IIFYM is the only way of eating that would work for me, but I'm confused about the amount of macros I have to consume, also about how to train. I wanna burn fat and have a Very lean BF % (20-22, I'm currently in 28,5%) but I'm not looking forward to build muscle or look bulky as for bikini competitions or anything like that, I just wanna be lean and fit, a little toned but that's it... I don't know how to lift and how to distribute my macros (mostly the protein/carbs ratio) and I really want to figure it out!
    You will not gain muscle if you are eating in a caloric deficit. Further, without some muscle gain you will never look toned. Gaining muscle takes an excruciatingly long time, especially for women. Women who are able to look "bulky" at a low body fat percentage likely spent many years purposefully training to look that way. You should do any proven beginners weight lifting program that focuses on heavy compound lifts, even if your goal is to simply be lean and fit. I usually recommend the ICF 5x5, stronglifts, or starting strength. For fat loss macros, this video explains how I set them up:
  • Kie_Hughes
    Kie_Hughes Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Well done sausage
  • reisbaron
    reisbaron Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Nick:

I have to thank you many times over for your hugely informative AMA. I waited until I read all 64 pages, which I've been chipping away at (along with the YouTube channel) since January. I've dropped 20# (299-279) since mid-January and according to Weight Tracker (another thank you!) I'm averaging a tad more than 2# a week. I'm a Crossfitter so while I haven't done beginner lifting I'm squatting and deadlifting in the 400s so I'm going to stick with my gym during the process as that's what I'm into and it's working for me.

A few things:

1> From your photos it seems you got down to 200 before your first bulk. In retrospect would you have started earlier with bulking with what you know now, and if so (I'm the same height so I'm ultra curious) what weight?

2> I saw the video where you show your recent blood work. I'm curious if you did a nutritional panel as well with Vitamin D, magnesium, c-reactive protein, etc. I'm far more curious about IIFYM's outcome on markers of inflammation and/or micronutrient deficiencies vs. cholesterol. That might be where an in-depth conversation can be had about misconceptions re: Paleo/clean vs. IIFYM.

3> Did the protein fluff initially cause you any digestive problems? I made the recipe twice and while the volume was absolutely impressive for the caloric content, it sent me rushing to the bathroom multiple times 1-2 hours after eating it (both times I only got through 50-60% of it before I tapped out). Should I consider reducing the xanthan gum? Hard to not try and make this item work as it saves so many calories for nights out on the weekends :-).

4> Making sure you have Enlightened Triple Chocolate ice cream on your list. 360 calories per pint and the taste is great. http://on.fb.me/1R3zZLC

Again...truly...thank you so much. I've tried it all. Lost 50 on Paleo and froze for 2 years between 280-300. Tried Carb Nite, Slow Carb, and strict IIFYM (trying to nail the carb #) and failed with all over time. Seems this is perfectly flexible enough to use for the long haul. Your efforts to share this information are HUGELY appreciated.

P.S. How can I tone my muscles? And what can I do about all the excess skin? (sorry...had to ;-)
  • Kie_Hughes
    Options
    Welcome to the ab club bro
  • Kie_Hughes
    Options
    Welcome to the ab club bro
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    More power to you.

Congratulations on the weight loss and nice face too. Lol
  • vismal
    Options
    reisbaron wrote: »
    Nick:

I have to thank you many times over for your hugely informative AMA. I waited until I read all 64 pages, which I've been chipping away at (along with the YouTube channel) since January. I've dropped 20# (299-279) since mid-January and according to Weight Tracker (another thank you!) I'm averaging a tad more than 2# a week. I'm a Crossfitter so while I haven't done beginner lifting I'm squatting and deadlifting in the 400s so I'm going to stick with my gym during the process as that's what I'm into and it's working for me.

A few things:

1> From your photos it seems you got down to 200 before your first bulk. In retrospect would you have started earlier with bulking with what you know now, and if so (I'm the same height so I'm ultra curious) what weight?
    For me, no. Bulking with a high body fat percentage is usually a mistake in my opinion. It depends on your goals though. If your goals are more strength based then bulking at a higher body fat percentage is probably fine. If your goals are physique or aesthetic based, I believe it is best to lose the fat first.

2> I saw the video where you show your recent blood work. I'm curious if you did a nutritional panel as well with Vitamin D, magnesium, c-reactive protein, etc. I'm far more curious about IIFYM's outcome on markers of inflammation and/or micronutrient deficiencies vs. cholesterol. That might be where an in-depth conversation can be had about misconceptions re: Paleo/clean vs. IIFYM.
    I did not have any additional labs drawn and have no reason to think I would be deficient of any vitamins. I don't know why people assume heavily restrictive diets like paleo or "clean" eating are better at preventing micronutrient deficiencies. If you eat a well balanced diet, you shouldn't have micronutrient deficiencies regardless of whether or not you choose to eat less nutritious foods from time to time.

3> Did the protein fluff initially cause you any digestive problems? I made the recipe twice and while the volume was absolutely impressive for the caloric content, it sent me rushing to the bathroom multiple times 1-2 hours after eating it (both times I only got through 50-60% of it before I tapped out). Should I consider reducing the xanthan gum? Hard to not try and make this item work as it saves so many calories for nights out on the weekends :-).
    Not for me, no but I have heard of people having poor reactions to xanthan gum.

4> Making sure you have Enlightened Triple Chocolate ice cream on your list. 360 calories per pint and the taste is great. http://on.fb.me/1R3zZLC
    I've had those as well as halo top and arctic zero. All of them are pretty good but I don't often eat them do to the high cost.

Again...truly...thank you so much. I've tried it all. Lost 50 on Paleo and froze for 2 years between 280-300. Tried Carb Nite, Slow Carb, and strict IIFYM (trying to nail the carb #) and failed with all over time. Seems this is perfectly flexible enough to use for the long haul. Your efforts to share this information are HUGELY appreciated.

P.S. How can I tone my muscles? And what can I do about all the excess skin? (sorry...had to ;-)
    :D
    Answers in bold
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    First of all, thanks for answering everyone's questions after all this time.
    Your video, "the importance of diets breaks," is one of my favorites because it makes so much sense! I recently finished my first, "diet break," and I maintained for the 2 weeks. I went back on a deficit and randomly lost 2 pounds and kept it off for 2 weeks. Not that I'm complaining (I'm use to losing 1 pound a month) I'm curious if this is something I can expect with every diet break?
    Also, I try and plan my diet breaks around a certain event so I can enjoy it more. My next diet break is going to be in Vegas in May and I'll more than likely end up in a calorie surplus. Should I stay in the surplus for the week in Vegas and go back to my deficit when I get home or when I get home should I finish my diet break and maintain for the rest of the week? I hope that made sense.
  • tmking1150
    tmking1150 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Suggestions for tightening the abs. I jog 3-4 times a week. I do weight training 2 times a week...arms, core and legs. Being steady with this routine for at least 3 weeks now. I weigh 170lbs, I'm 5'5 and trying to drop 10-15lbs...and im pretty consistent with following my 1510 calorie intake.
  • Microscopes
    Microscopes Posts: 92 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    You will not gain muscle if you are eating in a caloric deficit. Further, without some muscle gain you will never look toned. Gaining muscle takes an excruciatingly long time, especially for women. Women who are able to look "bulky" at a low body fat percentage likely spent many years purposefully training to look that way. You should do any proven beginners weight lifting program that focuses on heavy compound lifts, even if your goal is to simply be lean and fit. I usually recommend the ICF 5x5, stronglifts, or starting strength. For fat loss macros, this video explains how I set them up:

I'm no expert.

However, there have been several (like 10) recent studies that show people gaining 10+ pounds of lean muscle while shedding over 10+ pounds of fat.

http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/gain-muscle-and-lose-fat-at-the-same-time/
  • vismal
    Options
    First of all, thanks for answering everyone's questions after all this time.
    Your video, "the importance of diets breaks," is one of my favorites because it makes so much sense! I recently finished my first, "diet break," and I maintained for the 2 weeks. I went back on a deficit and randomly lost 2 pounds and kept it off for 2 weeks. Not that I'm complaining (I'm use to losing 1 pound a month) I'm curious if this is something I can expect with every diet break?
    Also, I try and plan my diet breaks around a certain event so I can enjoy it more. My next diet break is going to be in Vegas in May and I'll more than likely end up in a calorie surplus. Should I stay in the surplus for the week in Vegas and go back to my deficit when I get home or when I get home should I finish my diet break and maintain for the rest of the week? I hope that made sense.
    Weight loss following a diet break is not uncommon. Usually the stress of dieting causes water retention which can be alleviated by the diet break. As far as your personal situation, you can really do either approach. You can use the week in Vegas as a week off, basically eat what you want, and return to dieting, or you can give an additional week after the trip if you want. The difference between the two approaches is probably negligible.
    tmking1150 wrote: »
    Suggestions for tightening the abs. I jog 3-4 times a week. I do weight training 2 times a week...arms, core and legs. Being steady with this routine for at least 3 weeks now. I weigh 170lbs, I'm 5'5 and trying to drop 10-15lbs...and im pretty consistent with following my 1510 calorie intake.
    Abs do not "tighten". The only way to obtain visible abs or a firm stomach is to reduce body fat to a relatively low level. Unfortunately you cannot spot reduce fat so the only way to accomplish this is to lose fat all over your body until your stomach achieves the desired level of leanness. Now you can train abs but they will respond just like any other body part. Doing excess ab work is not necessary nor will it help achieve your goal any quicker. I would alter your weight training. Arms, legs, and core 2 times a week seems suboptimal and neglects some body parts that should be trained (chest, back). I usually recommend people do a full body routine 3x a week.
  • vismal
    Options

I'm no expert.

However, there have been several (like 10) recent studies that show people gaining 10+ pounds of lean muscle while shedding over 10+ pounds of fat.

http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/gain-muscle-and-lose-fat-at-the-same-time/
    First off you need to consider the context in which I said the statement. The question pertained to a female worrying about becoming bulky while eating in a deficit. Additionally, I do not really agree with Menno in this article. First look at his examples. The first study was overweight, untrained individuals. This group is certainly an exception to the rule. Both the overweight and the untrained can for a short period of time gain muscle whilst losing fat. Also, in that study, body fat was measured by 4 point caliper testing which is far less accurate than something along the lines of a dexascan so I would argue that could have contributed to the results as well. His N=1 example using his own client is utterly worthless to the discussion. N=1 tells us nothing that we can apply outside of the sample population of the 1 individual. Also, we have no idea what drugs this individual may or may not have been taking or any other factors which can contribute to his results. This is why unscientific, N=1 examples aren't useful. He then goes on to cite studies on elite athletes. This is a terrible population to use. Elite athletes are just that, elite. If there is a population with the genetic ability to both gain muscle and lose fat after years of training, it's the athletic elite. Using this population to make generalizations about the non elite seems foolish. Also, the question of drugs again arises with elite athletes, a group known to utilize PEDs for athletic advantage. Finally he makes this statement "Gaining muscle on a weight loss diet is not only possible, it should be expected for most people on a serious program". This is just simply not true for the vast majority of people. Throw out those on PEDs, the genetic elite, teenagers, the obese, and the untrained, the rest of us (average people) just aren't seeing this happen. Regardless of any of this, it is still best to focus on one goal at a time. If you are overfat, your goal should be fat loss. If you manage to gain some muscle along the way because you are untrained or have elite genetics, then that's wonderful, but your goal and training should still be geared for fat loss. If your goal is muscle gain, you should focus on just that, gaining muscle. Doing so while also attempting to lose fat is going to severely limit your muscle gaining potential and thus very inefficient compared with conventional lean bulking.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!