Binge eaters out there needing support

Options

Replies

• ab6046
    ab6046 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for being open and honest. I feel like so many of you often. I have a great day, stay within my calories, then blow it with a full on binge of whatever I have. Then feel so much guilt and disgust. I was wondering have any of you tried OA? Do any of you practice abstinence of certain foods?

I tried OA once maybe seven years ago or so. It was not for me. I do try to abstain from certain trigger foods and I do avoid certain food groups in general, but I always end up on binging on them. I don't really think that abstinence is the key to overcoming this. Although I think it may help short term, I don't think it would work for me long term because then I put those foods on a pedestal and want them more. It's like the whole concept of wanting what you can't have.
  • irishjeepgirl1969
    irishjeepgirl1969 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Rather than abstain, I try to find alternatives. Instead of ice cream, I take Greek yogurt and put it in the freezer for a bit. FroYo, serving size already measured out so that I can't fudge it. Rather than Dominos pizza, I get Lean Cuisine French bread pizza. Instead of candies, I add a tablespoon ofof sugar free jello mix to a Ziploc bag of grapes and shake it around.

I tried OA, too, but found that I rebel against abstinence. I think it's a wonderful way to get real life support, but it's not for me. But don't take our word for it! Try it and see! Everybody is different! I wish it worked for me :-(
  • MysticMeg_17
    MysticMeg_17 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This is me all over, but i don't get the guilt always 99% Of the time i do but every now and then I'm like stuff it.

i don't have a single thing that i can say is a trigger as its completely random most of the time i don't even realise what I've done till after I've done it but most of my binges are 1000 calorie+ binges.

feel free to add me if you want. :smile:

Meg x
  • lexylondon
    lexylondon Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I ate 1800 calories over my 1500.limit on valentines day. It was crisps, brie cheese, lots of pastry breast things, pate.. I felt so sick and lethargic and just off but my brain was telling me I was still hungry and to eat more!!.ice been eating a lot less sugar and crap than I used to so my brain went crazy for it!!.it's turned me off doing it again as I not I my felt so physically unwell but also guilty!!.I still struggle with wanting sweets though... I had a real.biscuit (cookie) habit and I spend a lot I'd time thinking about them. I try to limit to 2 a day, but really want a pack per sitting lol.
  • ziesergirl_66
    ziesergirl_66 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I have eliminated some foods, just because I thought they were so unhealthy (hot dogs, mac n cheese, sugary cold cereals). but I have plenty of other foods I restrict, and then I cave and binge. Currently, I am 'avoiding' potato chips - all of them. There are very little in the house right now. I am watching my sodium intake, and I think sometimes I restrict that too much. I have been eating less sugar since Feb 1st, and I can definitely tell. Less bloat, clearer mind, and more energy. Being fully aware that eating healthy is worth it VS. eating unhealthy/too much and feeling bad is my daily struggle.

I think it's really about moderation, and "planning" to eat them -- one serving. Creating that habit I'm afraid will be a lifelong goal for me.
  • ab6046
    Options
    How did you manage to eat less sugar? And did you have issues with sugar before you cut down? Although I consider myself to be a "salty tooth," it is usually my very intense cravings for sugar that trigger my binges. If you have any words of wisdom, please share!
  • Lapetitechat
    Lapetitechat Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Please add me too. I'm a cracker monster. Or Sunchips - just open the bag or box of carby "goodness" and into my yap it goes. I've gone low carb before and lost lots of weight but once the carbs cross my lips again I go into a pig fest and binge like mad. Bagels, crackers, chips, pizza... even just toast with butter or bowl after bowl of cereal after dinner.... it's like a tap that keeps running. My husband is this way too - he never was until we did Atkins together before our wedding in 2003. Once we fell off the wagon (thanks to my Dad for bringing over a cake!!! when he knew we were dieting) we fell hard. It took a decade and 2 kids being born before we tried low carb again and lost weight - until we fell off the wagon and binged like mad. Over and over. I keep trying to lose weight, but then I end up binging. Usually at night. So annoying. I can be so on track during the day then it all hits the fan after dinner. The trigger foods (crackers and cereal) are in the house for the kids and my husband.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    fidangul wrote: »
    This is what I do when there are high calorie and extremely tempting food out eg donuts:

1- ask to share a piece with others
    2- if nobody wants to share or there isn't anyone there I cut a 1/4 or 1/3 piece and eat my share and leave the rest there.

This helps me not to feel deprived. Otherwise, I can go on to dream about that one food item which can lead to a binge. Feeling satisfied is key to my eating. Other than that it's sheer willpower- love food!!!

Ya, when my mom, sister, and I have lunch we split one dessert three ways and that's plenty to scratch the post-meal sweet itch.

I can also polish off 1200 calories of Ben & Jerry's in a sitting, but that would be under entirely different circumstances. And I think I've only did that once in the past year.

• JeffFit70
    JeffFit70 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I feel ya. I have been able to drop most of my fat (from 230 to 185 lbs) and have kept it off for 3 years. However, I still struggle with binges. It is better but still a thing. Feel ffree to add me.
  • ebolus101
    ebolus101 Posts: 3 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Have any of you guys talked to a medical professional about this? I'll tend to be great during the day then blow it at night and it's either I'll just have extremely large portions or just want as many flavors as possible in one sitting.
  • alittlelife14
    alittlelife14 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    All binge struggles feel free to add me.
  • kelieghjane
    kelieghjane Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Wow just catching up on this thread there's lots of great advice. I can't believe how many of us have the same struggle, I really felt alone as I didn't know anyone that binged. When I've tried to talk about it with family, friends and doctors it's just looked upon as been greedy which really isn't the case.
    After another week of binging I'm going to try to stay away from my trigger foods because once I take a bite I can't stop. These are bread, crisps, chocolate & cake. I have tried before and it led to binges as I felt deprived but I've got to try something so here goes........
    Feel free to add me (open diary) as I can't figure out how to add you guys on the app :)
  • lshubin
    lshubin Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    ab6046 wrote: »
    newmeadow wrote: »
    ab6046 wrote: »
    So I guess the answer to your question would technically be no...since I NEVER stop after the fruit or vegetable binge.

So as I understand it, the binge doesn't end until the carby/sugary/high fat stuff gets delved into? Would that be what triggers the ultimate post-binge satiety, these types of foods?

I think that's what you meant. I did know one girl in high school who would start a binge with sliced tomatoes, pickles, that sort of thing, but it wouldn't end until all the pasta and all the sweets got eaten.

I'm curious because the long time forum users who scoff at the notion of "addiction" as it pertains to food and eating always say a calorie is a calorie. As they see it, a raw carrot is as fattening as a slice of pizza if someone overeats raw carrots. When that's challenged, they say YES! I'm SURE there's SOMEONE out there that got overweight from eating TOO MANY carrots. Sigh. Chocolate cake calories don't have magical properties as opposed to raw orange slice calories. And the sugar in each is exactly the same, and the body responds to it identically. (and I'm thinking, WHAT?)

Thing is, I never see folks saying they have a problem moderating green salad or raw apples or plain boiled eggs. Even in a binge thread, the binge isn't over until the cakes and pies and loaves of bread get eaten. 3 pounds of asparagus would never do.

I agree with that. And ultimately, if a craving is something that triggers the binge (i.e. brownies) then the binge won't end until that thing has been consumed in excessive quantities and in my case a lot more other items in the process.

Actually guys, I might be the odd one out here. I'm not saying it's the only thing I Bing on, but I will sometimes eat cups and cups and cups of food until I am so beyond full. Food being Steamed vegetables or grilled or baked chicken. And white rice, but that seems kind of reasonable. My guess is similar to yours- I am actually eating to reach some satiety level that fat or savory foods bring, except I'm not finding it so I just keep eating more. And more.
  • starr816
    starr816 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ab6046
    Options

Actually guys, I might be the odd one out here. I'm not saying it's the only thing I Bing on, but I will sometimes eat cups and cups and cups of food until I am so beyond full. Food being Steamed vegetables or grilled or baked chicken. And white rice, but that seems kind of reasonable. My guess is similar to yours- I am actually eating to reach some satiety level that fat or savory foods bring, except I'm not finding it so I just keep eating more. And more.
    [/quote]

I do that too, actually. But usually I don't consider it binging and see it more as the lead in to the binge. When I overeat chicken or vegetables (and I do!) I don't usually feel too bad about it, so I don't get the same feeling of loss of control or guilt that accompanies a binge and so I therefore classify it more as overeating than binging. But for some reason, I can't stop with white rice and I do feel I binge on that and it usually leads to me eating a lot of other things I regret.
  • Brrrite
    Brrrite Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I don't have BED but I feel very sorry for you all... I have had some strange food behaviors that could become a problem if something very sad/stressful/bad were to happen in my life. The only food I have really felt this uncontrolled over is nutella. With a spoon. The entire jar in 3 days/3 sittings. I could not stop! This happens every time I buy Nutella. I see all these yummy baked goods on pinterest with Nutella and I think well there wouldn't ever be enough in the jar to make a recipe! I don't buy it anymore... or if I find those tiny one serving containers, I'll buy one occasionally! The other day I went to a frozen yogurt shop and got to the end where the drizzle toppings are and they had a squeeze jar of Nutella. I wanted to dump my container of yogurt out and fill it with Nutella so bad! I took a little and left sad:'(
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Some people call it an addiction to food - but as we have seen from the discussion, its really not about the food, its about the emotion toward the food, or the endorphins we create when we eat the food. That feeling of pleasure is a self reinforcing behaviour, much like Pavlovs dogs would salivate at the sound of the dinner bell, our surging feeligs can anticipate a free for all feeding frenzy - and a release of tension or anxiety. I liken it to an obsessive compulsive disorder - when I briefly interned at a psychiatric hospital back when dinosaurs ruled the earth, we had a patient diagnosed with OCD who would go back and forth from his room to the laundry room, just touching the windows. It was his way of coping with the stress of doing ANYTHING - going for meals, going for therapy, meeting new people etc. It could go on for HOURS. The trigger was always some sort of anxiety. I equate binging (and I have done it myself) to being unable to deal with some emotional stressor that I am feeling. A lot of time its anger, and I have to admit that I eat my anger to deal with it. And if you could see me, you would think wow - she's pretty angry!!! In a binge state, I have found that I am completely on auto pilot - I cannot seem to control what I am doing - its like I am in a fugue state. Fortunately, this has only happened a few times and I recognize now that it was in situations of extreme stress and anxiety. Feeling out of control, or feeling that I am BEING controlled makes me very angry!!

The sad fact though is that the bingeing doesnt, in fact relieve the tension and anxiety (perhaps briefly, while we are actually eating) but after that, we then feeling guilt, self loathing, sadness, and additional anxiety.

So......to deal with this I have to have a Plan B - I have been able to identify most of my triggers over the years, and know that when my spidey senses tingle, I have to follow through with certain behaviours. I have to have other outlets to deal with the stress or the anger. I know I can never have certain trigger foods in the house - I can have them when out for dinner, or at someone elses place, but if I have unrestricted access to them, I cant deal. I leave the house and go for a walk. I take a shower or a bath. I clean something, or rearrange my drawers or closets (my house is so neat!!) But really its all behaviours designed to help me understand and reinforce that I am in fact, in control of my choices.

I had a friend who was morbidly obese, and we talked about food addiction as related to alcoholism, drugs etc, and he too said that you can live without ever touching booze or heroin, but everyday, with a food issue, you have to let the tiger out of the cage at least once. The challenge is to control the tiger.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    ^ Great post!
  • fastfoodietofitcutie
    fastfoodietofitcutie Posts: 523 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    How can people consistently binge and not gain weight? It surprises me to see binge eaters at a healthy weight. In order for that to happen it seems one would have to restrict food on other days or exercise a lot to make up for it. Is it possible the restricting of food is leading to the binge? I binge from time to time but gain every ounce of it. The weight gain is what helps to control the binges but if there is no weight gain I can understand how difficult it would be to stop.
  • Smilejenta
    Smilejenta Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I've been anorexic and now I'm have BED. Food is on my mind constantly. I get fixated and can't let go until I actually eat what I crave. Can't sleep, can't focus on anything but.. Right now I am almost climbing the wall, because I have nothing in my house. Previously I starved myself (lost 88 lbs in under 3 months), and I can easily get that way again. It seems like I get in to starvation mode over a period, and then go over to binge eating again. I started as early as 9 years old, after an injury and a wicked step mom. The used to call me Cinderella at school. She with-held food every day, only giving me a dry piece of bread when my dad wasn't there. Weighed me every day. Told me how fat and ugly and how much she hated me. I was then at 5'9 and 132 lbs. My treatment team says that my body is scared it won't get food, that I am going to starve again. I also have complex PTSD, and dissosiate, so often I find items of food in my house that I don't like or even remember buying or eating. I also sleep eat. Nights and evenings are hard. Then the nightmares come, and I evidently cope by eating. Since the beginning of December I gained 44 lbs, and have been completely out of controll.
    Please feel free to add me. I don't have a support system in my daily life, so it would be great being accountable to you guys.