Silly things I do to hit 10,000 steps a day

Options
12346»

Replies

• JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    This thread makes me super grateful I don't actually have one of these.

LOL...that's odd, you have four pages of people saying how much they love theirs, and that makes you happy NOT to have one?! I'd be willing to bet every one of the positive, creative posts about getting in 10000 would agree with me that they LOVE their tracker, and having used one now, would never go backwards..
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

LOL...that's odd, you have four pages of people saying how much they love theirs, and that makes you happy NOT to have one?! I'd be willing to bet every one of the positive, creative posts about getting in 10000 would agree with me that they LOVE their tracker, and having used one now, would never go backwards..

I'm glad people have them and are moving more... but I'm really glad I have my training program and I never have to do any sort of last minute shenanigans to meet my goals.

Not begrudging anyone- just glad I don't have one. :) different strokes and all.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options

I'm glad people have them and are moving more... but I'm really glad I have my training program and I never have to do any sort of last minute shenanigans to meet my goals.

Not begrudging anyone- just glad I don't have one. :) different strokes and all.

Indeed different for everyone

For me a person who wants to lift but can not for several reasons, cardio, swimming and getting my steps daily is a life saver.
    And it literally was a life saver. I learned to move again and See things differently. Not driving through the parking lot several times to get the closest space at the store. I really dump my car as soon i enter the parking lot. And walk the rest.
    It made me aware how much i was doing while i was sitting. And from a former coach, dancer, athletic, to doing nothing ( and not being able to either) was destructive for my health and body.

The Misfit ( this is like the Fitbit only much cheaper and waterproof) helped me to move more :)

Besides that its fun. And there are days i "only" get my 10.000 steps. But i figured out that for 15.000 steps i can eat 2000 calories ( TDEE) and dont have to worry about a thing.

I dance again, i teach 4 classes again, i jog/walk daily. and next to that i am more active. And that is the whole point to it.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    There are a lot of people that I have recommended fit bit to, I love mine. It is all good for me. I used to try to think of ways to move around that took as little movement as I could possibly get away with.............and it truly showed. Now, I never hesitate to add on steps. I actually get up @ 1:30 am to go to the gym to work out. When it is decent weather out, I go for about a 40 minute walk after the gym. The past few days I have had 18K when I get to my desk at 5:30am. When I first got my first fit bit, I struggled to get 10,000 steps, thought it was impossible. Now I get double that every day. Who Knew?!
    They aren't for everyone, but there are millions of us out there that are moving more every single day because of step trackers. Even President Obama has one.
  • icemaiden37
    icemaiden37 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Oooh now I want to have Obama on my fitbit friends lists! Reckon he'd join my Workweek Hustle Challenge?

Stupid things I do to get my steps up:

Walk my dog three times a day (dog gets very confused when we walk past the house to the end of the road and back because I've only got a few more hundred steps to get to my target)
    Run on the spot whilst I brush my teeth (sometimes I've done this in my pyjamas not realising my fitbit one is still in my jeans pocket)
    Instead of emailing colleagues that work in my building I go see them
    Take items upstairs one at a time
    Run up and down my garden path at 11:30pm

• brant710
    brant710 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Run on the spot whilst I brush my teeth (sometimes I've done this in my pyjamas not realising my fitbit one is still in my jeans pocket)

That's the worst. I'm so used to having my Fitbit on that when I don't have it and do a lot of steps I get ticked off.
  • sdbernier
    sdbernier Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    brant710 wrote: »

That's the worst. I'm so used to having my Fitbit on that when I don't have it and do a lot of steps I get ticked off.

Agreed!
  • sdbernier
    sdbernier Posts: 36 Member
    Options

The last minute shenanigans are what makes it even more fun. I do an hour of circuits 4 days a week and cardio 2-3 times a week but it's still funny seeing the things I'll do to get 200 more steps to make it to 10k, 15K or even 20K. It makes me want to move more :)
  • candistyx
    candistyx Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    size102b wrote: »
    Think the idea of 10,000 a day is more big chunks of steps as in a long walk etc as your getting a workout compared to jogging for a minute on the spot or quick walk to your rooms
    Getting slightly out of breath is better than 1000 x small 100 step walks a day
    That's what the 30 active minutes are for. 10000 steps is to stay mildly active all day.

If you spend all day at 1.5 MET that has a bigger overall (calorie) impact than half an hour at 3 or 4 MET. It also means your not sitting for ages and pooling your circulation in your legs.

You're meant to get both, the 30 min for cardiovascular fitness and the 10,000 steps for just general not being a couch potato.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it has been brought up here or not, but you also have "active minutes" tracked on your fit bit dash board, that shows sustained activity (exercise). Getting those extra steps in, for most of us, is just icing on the cake, just striving to get our numbers up a little bit. It is a good thing, and means that we are motivated to get in "just a few more steps" each day.