How much weight loss before people start noticing?

Options
Curious about this, how much weight did you loss before people started noticing? I've lost 17/18lbs 9kg since New Years so far all thats noticed is my mother and well mothers always notice that anyway so we can disregard her. If I'm honest I haven't really noticed myself either, looking in the mirror I see no change, no change even in the progress photos. Looking at the photos I took at the start with the photos now I see no change.

Measurements are going down so thats something I guess.

Replies

• rpachigo
    rpachigo Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    20 pounds off 400 not so much. But my first 20 from 200 was noticeable...Not sure where you're starting from.
  • dave_in_ni
    dave_in_ni Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I started from around 230 if I remember correctly
  • rpachigo
    rpachigo Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    My guess is around 200...let us know
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Started at 202.5. People (outside of my husband) started noticing in the low 170s.

Interestingly, my (at the time) 7 yo daughter never noticed until I was at 150 and we were looking at Christmas pictures from the year before. Her eyes got really big and you could practically see a lightbulb turn on above her head like in a cartoon. :lol:
  • treehopper1987
    treehopper1987 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    mine was about 25 pounds... I started around the same as you.
  • joinn68
    joinn68 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Nobody noticed 20 out of 230 but at 35 out of 230 everybody noticed. I think I read someone saying as a rule of thumb: at 10% of body weight lost. Let us know :)
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    After I lost 30 of my 60 total, folks were willing to comment/ask "weight loss?". I think before then they noticed but didn't want to comment about weight. I heard a lot of: Did you get new glasses? Did you get your hair cut? You look nice with a tan and all. That outfit looks good on you.
  • SolotoCEO
    SolotoCEO Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I started higher than you and it was about 50-60 lbs. I still don't see the difference in myself - but I know I'm several sizes smaller.
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Height, start weight, and how often someone sees you will affect whether or not someone notices. Some people might notice, but not say anything. Finding the right way to say you noticed weight loss is hard.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    People likely notice but aren't saying anything. I find discussing other people's bodies to be extremely rude. Unless you're actively telling me you're losing weight I'm likely not going to mention it.
  • klkateri
    klkateri Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    When I lost 20 from 270 a couple people noticed... at a wedding where I was down 35 EVERYONE noticed. Honestly, I haven't seen much of difference till last night when I kept washing the same spot on my face thinking it was makeup ( I contour my makeup daily) and I finally I was like "O, my face is naturally doing that now!! Fun!!"... it's been 2 years lol!! However, I just lost another 10 pounds
  • BinaryFu
    BinaryFu Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Just pointing out something here...you've lost that much since this New Years...unless you live south of the equator, you're probably wearing bulky clothing which really won't show off your weight loss.

Now, speaking from past experience, when I lost weight during the winter months, come spring/summer - I found that people who didn't really notice me much or weren't really interested in me didn't see a difference. People who liked me, cared about me or were interested in me - *they* noticed and some even commented - but not all of them. Sometimes people are self conscious about saying anything, in case they're wrong or in case it comes off as flirty when they're just trying to be complimentary.

Food for thought.

Cheers!
  • bubbajoe1066
    bubbajoe1066 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    started out at 290..dropped 35 lbs so far... only my wife has said something... funny i look in the mirror and just can't see the 35 lbs difference...its still winter and i'm still walking around in bulky winter clothes, sweatshirts and flannels...maybe in the spring when it gets warmer
  • MadeOfMagic
    MadeOfMagic Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I have lost 21lbs (from 263) and one person noticed that my face was looking skinnier which was a surprise considering she had no idea I was "dieting". I don't believe people that know that I am eating "dieting"...but one of the most said my stomach was looking a lot flatter and another mention that as well...but since they know about me eating healthier I don't know how much of that is truth. Last time I lost weight no one noticed until I lose about 35lbs (from 215).
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I've lost 80 in the past year. Along the way I would randomly have people comment on my weight loss. Sometimes it was just a flattering outfit that made it more noticeable. Once I was down around 60-70 lbs it got to where literally every day someone commented. Then i took a maintenance break for a couple months and I've gone from 138 to 130 in the past 2 months and the comments started up again. I'm short and small now so those few pounds make a big difference.

It's s good point about the weather though too. We are likely wearing bulkier clothes now so it hides progress at times.
  • harrybananas
    harrybananas Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    1lb.
  • dave_in_ni
    dave_in_ni Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Yes I'm in bulky clothes also, body warmer and heavy jumper everyday probably doesn't help but it's to bloody cold at the moment
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I lost about 16lb now and people are noticing! A few people have commented totally unprompted.
    In the grander scheme I don't have that much to lose though. I started at 176 and just crept under 160 now. Goal weight is around 130. I'm 5'6".
  • holmesj747
    holmesj747 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I started at 269, and now I'm 196. Some people who I haven't seen in a while ask if I've lost a couple of pounds, while others say they see a huge change (mainly the people I see on a weekly basis). I think people I am always around started to notice around the 30 Lbs weight loss mark.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Around 50# down from 313. I don't go out very much or know many people, so the comments were from neighbors and people hubby worked with.