Being short sucks for dieting

Options
123457»

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    clhoward6 wrote: »
    I bet Localgrr really regrets starting this thread. Some of you get the need for us to have a moan and whine a bit and have joined in and some of you just choose to use this thread to effectively tell us we're awful people for having a bit of light hearted whingeing about how hard it is to lose weight. That goes for everyone btw not just short people.

I've spent a lot of time of these boards over the last few weeks since starting my serious attempt at sorting out my weight. There's a lot of good advice and some really lovely people. But there is also a lot of self righteous, loving the sound of their own voice, preachy, judgemental, sense of humour left with the weight, *kitten* hats on these boards.

If when you preview a reply you are writing to someone it reads like you are going to make them feel bad about themselves then re-write it with a bit of empathy. Everyone has their own struggles and I for one do not respond well to being told I am stupid/making excuses/worthless. You are not my drill sergeant you are supposed to be supportive. End of rant.

Haha yeah. I'm afraid to write threads now. Every time I post about a problem or something that bothers me (even if I'm trying to make a fun thread), no lifers come and trash me. It's sad.
  • LookingforWhatsHerName
    LookingforWhatsHerName Posts: 37 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    As a fellow shortie (5'2", 110 lbs) I can agree with many of the sentiments above. However, I don't think the most important element to success for petite women is being able to feel satiated at a ridiculously low calorie intake, rather, it is consistency and patience that do the trick. Unless you have a medical condition or are extremely sedentary you will likely lose weight consuming somewhere between 1300-1600 cals a day. BUT, it will be at a pace that many of us get frustrated with. It took me almost a year to lose 28 pounds, big picture wise though I haven't "suffered" much as I have always eaten above 1400 (at the lowest) and I bank calories for the weekends to splurge with. I maintain at 1850-2000 these days and eat plenty of fro-yo and chocolate. Just hang in there! Slow and steady wins the race.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    ASKyle wrote: »
    flumi_f wrote: »
    zyxst wrote: »
    The only reason being short sucks is the inability to reach the top shelf without climbing on the counters.
    So much this!! I've lost count of the times I've had to climb up the shelves at the supermarket to reach something!!

Climbing on the counter strenghtens arms and core and probably burns a half a cal per climb B) Thus climb away fellow shorties!

LOL, you guys are cracking me up :)

I don't climb the shelves at the store, but I am mighty tempted sometimes when things are on the top shelf.

The clerk will ask if you found everything ok, and I will answer to myself, yeah, but I couldn't reach it.
    Haha I have ZERO shame in asking strangers in the aisle to grab things for me off the top shelf!

I have grabbed many an item off the top shelf for short people, absolutely no big deal at all :smile:
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    The only reason being short sucks is the inability to reach the top shelf without climbing on the counters.
    So much this!! I've lost count of the times I've had to climb up the shelves at the supermarket to reach something!!

Climbing on the counter strenghtens arms and core and probably burns a half a cal per climb B) Thus climb away fellow shorties!

I don't climb the shelves at the store, but I am mighty tempted sometimes when things are on the top shelf.

The clerk will ask if you found everything ok, and I will answer to myself, yeah, but I couldn't reach it.
    Haha I have ZERO shame in asking strangers in the aisle to grab things for me off the top shelf!

I have grabbed many an item off the top shelf for short people, absolutely no big deal at all :smile:

I always tell people who grab things off the top shelf for me that I would be happy to get stuff off the bottom shelf for them!
  • Christine_72
    edited March 2016
    Options
    RAinWA wrote: »

I always tell people who grab things off the top shelf for me that I would be happy to get stuff off the bottom shelf for them!

Naaaw :heart: :lol:
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,601 Member
    Options
    RAinWA wrote: »

LOL that's great. I try to do the shelf climbing thing only because I don't usually like asking people for help...even if they're hot. :)
  • annajwagner
    annajwagner Posts: 8 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    What sucks for me is restaurant portions and trying to fit in eating out. They don't make a "short persons" menu, and while a 700 calorie plate is only 1/3 of my bf's quota, it's 1/2 of mine. So, it's a matter of trying to figure out how much to leave on the plate (which can be tricky), or just accepting that I'm going to have to skip the accompanying cocktail and order water while he gets to indulge in two sodas.

Some restaurants will offer an a la carte menu. Those places rock. It's so much easier to order small (when you can) then try and figure out how much of your wrap you'd have to leave behind to equal 200 calories.

This. My husband is 6'2" and I'm 5'3". He can eat a lot more than me and not gain, but we get the same serving size at restaurants because that's how it works. Yes, I try to pay attention to fullness cues but it's hard to figure out how much to leave sometimes and then to actually leave it.

Yes, I know that even though it's hard to see that others can eat more you just have to get over it and change your habits. That doesn't negate the fact that it's hard. I'm sure it's any easier to lose weight if you're taller because it's all a matter of perspective.
  • majigurl
    majigurl Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    minizebu wrote: »
    @majigurl

My curiosity is piqued. How tall are you?

Lol.. not crazy crazy short.. but 4feet 10.5 inches.. that .5 of an inch I seem to be losing as I'm aging!! no!!! I walk into my kids grade school and grades 4 and 5 students are my high and taller :/
    many 9 year olds are taller than me .. fun times lol

• acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    So I'm pretty tall - at 5'10 - and I do get that I can eat more and lose weight simply because I'm a bigger person so I burn more every day.

The hard part for me is this: I did a bod pod session and I have 140lbs of LBM on me. That's more than some women weigh all together. Without considering doing some kind of figure competition prep just to get down to a normal weight I will never be what BMI says I should be at for my height. And with that comes a whole slew of problems for example, my life insurance goes by gender, weight and height. They don't care if you only have 18% BF but still weigh in at 170lbs . . . you're over their limit and they'll put a premium on your rates. So I know this isn't as bad as not getting to eat as much but for me I will (probably) never be a "normal" weight for my height, even if I do get down to 20% BF or less. And for me that's defeating, even though I know numbers don't mean a whole lot. . . sometimes I just want them to say I'm a regular weight.
  • emstamand
    emstamand Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I feel like it is completely different for me and my sister. I'm 5'7 and about 190 and she is 5'2 and like 100 pounds. I find it a lot harder for me to lose weight than it is for her. She has even brought it up to me a few times.
  • sylkates
    sylkates Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I'm short too. I am doing a lot more cardio than I used to as half of my weight loss plan.

The other half of my weight loss plan is to prepare and measure almost all of my meals. Going out to a restaurant for a person trying to lose, who has a low calorie limit due to having a small frame, is not something one should do as often as I used to. That's clear!

As a short person, it seems like the calorie amount one finds in restaurant meals is created for giants, or super-buff athletes. After I started counting calories, restaurant portions just seem absurd.

It's been a few weeks now, and logging absolutely everything in MFP and walking and going to the gym a lot more seems to be working so far! You can do it!
  • NemEhes
    NemEhes Posts: 27 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'm 5'1" and feel your struggle. My issue is that I. Love. Food.

Being short means that I have to eat less food... but I don't want to eat less food because I love the act of eating food... really good food. I'm losing weight because of CICO, but I do still wish I could eat a lot more sometimes. As others mentioned, it's a struggle at restaurants sometimes. I'll be out with a group people and people are ordering these huge plates off food and I'm over there like "..." with my appetizer or only eating half my plate.

And then, I'm a high school teacher. People ALWAYS think I'm one of the students because of my height. Almost every single day, someone has to bring up my height at work.

Plus my pants are always too long.
  • Vanyahiril
    Vanyahiril Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I feel ya. I'm 5' tall, and just about ready to maintain. I'm also breastfeeding a 9 month old (with a goal of weaning at a year). I love the extra calories that nursing gives me. I'm gonna be sad to see them go. I haven't been able to work out as I'd like. There just isn't time (she'll sleep through the night someday, right? Right?!) I also have a two year old that wants to work out with me, which is great, except "with me" is right under where my feet need to go, or worse, the weights. I'd rather not clobber my child by accident, so work outs are few and far between. I'm hoping, some day, I can go to the gym, child free, where I (hopefully) can't accidentally injure someone. I definitely climb shelves & counters to reach things. I love food. & I hate watching my husband eat a slice of cheesecake, when I hadn't known to figure a slice into my own calories... And now I really want cheesecake.
  • Shalynlink
    Shalynlink Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    localgrr wrote: »
    Hi there I'm only 5'3 / 1.5m - and even after I reach my goal I'd still be 10kg within the healthy weight for my height - I can't even imagine eating any less that I am right now, I can't believe anyone my height can be skinny!!

I really envy tall people who can seem to eat so much more. I realise I could do a lot more exercise but that's something I'm working on.

Sorry, this doesn't really make sense. If you relate it to vehicles, a smart car requires much less gas than say a Hummer. Being short requires less calories- I am 5 ft and should eat for my size...which I obviously didn't so I ended up at MFP. Really, I eat alot less now than my taller counterparts however, my body doesn't truly require the extra calories. That being said, NO ONE should buy into the BMI - its stupid and accounts for nothing of importance.
    Working out will help a lot and not only weight loss - cardio is so very important for your heart. I eat 1100 calories per day, and exercise 5-6 days per week and have no problem taking off 2 lbs per week. It's doable, it's just not as forgiving as my husband's allowed 2300 calories per day.
  • Shalynlink
    Shalynlink Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    clhoward6 wrote: »

That doesn't even make any sense. We shorties can't eat very large amounts of food without getting fat, but we get full on smaller amounts. Tall people eat more because they need more.

Tell that to my stomach! Height has nothing to do with how quickly you get full. Which is why there are obese short people.

I agree with the original sentiment it sucks being short. I need more calories! lol

I'm assuming my stomach will get used to having less in it and shrink appropriately. Please let this be soon!

I hear you...I can eat alot. Water and lots of vegetables (raw) helped do this but seriously, I can out eat people 3 times the size of me.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    NemEhes wrote: »
    I'm 5'1" and feel your struggle. My issue is that I. Love. Food.

Being short means that I have to eat less food... but I don't want to eat less food because I love the act of eating food... really good food. I'm losing weight because of CICO, but I do still wish I could eat a lot more sometimes. As others mentioned, it's a struggle at restaurants sometimes. I'll be out with a group people and people are ordering these huge plates off food and I'm over there like "..." with my appetizer or only eating half my plate.

And then, I'm a high school teacher. People ALWAYS think I'm one of the students because of my height. Almost every single day, someone has to bring up my height at work.

And my pants are always too short! I have to buy men's track pants that are long enough but sag at the waist and butt area, and the only jeans that fit my length, just, are $120 Levis, and I'm only 5"8, I can't imagine how really tall women handle this problem. I would rather have the problem of taking pants up then be stuck wearing feral ankle freezers that you can't lengthen :smile:
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,771 Member
    Options
    NemEhes wrote: »

I hear you on the pants. I'm 5'0" and even supposedly petite size pants have to be shortened at least 4".

A close friend who is even shorter - 4'9" - remembers a plane ride when she was in graduate school. A flight attendant offered her a coloring book. Alrighty then...