How often do u think about being fat? Like I think of my weight every time I'm in a room with people

Options
JHALLISGETTINGsmall
JHALLISGETTINGsmall Posts: 54 Member
edited March 2016 in Motivation and Support
If I'm at work sitting in a meeting, I'm thinking about how I'm fatter than most in the room. Right now I'm out eating lunch I am thinking how fat I am compared to others in here. How often do people think about it? Am I weird ? I wonder if people are thinking about how fat I am. Or if I disgust them ?

Replies

• puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    I do this sometimes, then I mentally slap myself and remind myself that is incredibly unhelpful and unhealthy. It's important to recognize you are doing it. You now need to figure out how to focus your energy elsewhere and build your self-confidence.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    You certainly do not disgust anyone and if they think that they are shallow and heartless, don't waste time on them!! Don't compare yourself to others, that will just get you down. You are a beautiful woman, don't cut yourself short. However, I do understand what you are saying. I too have been guilty thinking of how much bigger I am than someone else, I do that very seldom anymore. I have realized that we are all different and we are our own worst critics.
  • treehopper1987
    treehopper1987 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do this often to myself. Or more-so I compare how much I am/am not eating compared to others, and if I'm being judged because of that.
  • JHALLISGETTINGsmall
    JHALLISGETTINGsmall Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm not like obsessed with it. But it def crosses my mind a lot. Just curious if other think of it.
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Please believe there is someone maybe half your size that thinks the same thing about themselves. If you read some of the post here there are ppl are 5'2 115lbs saying how fat they are and wish they can be 95lbs. Part of this journey is going to be to readjust your thinking not only about how you view food but also how you view yourself. I wish you success!
  • statickey
    statickey Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I think about my weight all day. And I compare myself to other women... I dont have a very good view of myself, even after losing over 40#. It's hard to change mentally.
  • Rdsgoal16
    Rdsgoal16 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    When I walk into body combat class and 95% of the people in there are at ideal bmi I start to think about it....then the music starts and I just try to make it through.
  • therealklane
    therealklane Posts: 2,172 Member
    Options
    I do think about it from time to time. It was terrible before I started losing weight, and then it got to the point that I barely thought about it because I knew I was a more "normal" size. It's worse now since I've gained weight post surgery..but it's more like "can they tell I've gained x amount of weight..? If they knew I gained weight after my surgery, maybe they'd understand.." I don't know. Ready to be back to where I was (and below) so I can stop thinking so much about it again.

I also see people that are the size I was and wonder if they're thinking about it and comparing themselves as well. It makes me sad. :/
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I almost never think about it. I'm always worried about dumb *kitten* like where my 3 year old left his shoes, did I close the garage door when I left for work, am I late to my meeting, what beer do I have in the fridge, what am I feeding the kids for dinner, did I buy cat food, Is the registration due on my car...yeah. dumb stuff.
  • zerojunk
    zerojunk Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    People are projecting that onto you. Believe me on that, I put more than one idiot in their place for doing things that can't be proven to bring people down. They used to think I was like them when I was young and fit so they would talk in front of me about their plans. Can't be proven unless you confessed you were doing it on purpose of course.
  • Kristin2626
    Kristin2626 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I used to feel similarly, but I guess I have accepted that even when I am very thin, I am usually the physically largest woman in the room (I am tall with broad shoulders). I feel like anyone who is judging you is a pretty terrible person. I mean, it would be really unpleasant for you if they were to say something to you or treat you badly because of it. But odds are what they would do instead is avoid you, and that would be to your benefit, since they are a human being of low character. I think people need to stop thinking that being physically small has any bearing on a person's worth -- either our own or someone else's. Lose weight for health or aesthetics, sure, but don't think you have any less worth now. You are not any less deserving of an enjoyable and relaxing lunch out at a restaurant!
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    oddly enough it crossed my mind for one of the first time todays...i was in an auditorium and noticed about 75 percent of the adults were not just overweight, but obese! it really shocked me at how many unhealthy people are around us each day...
  • UnicornAmanda1
    UnicornAmanda1 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    In the past this thought would cross my mind a lot. I think i was always trying to reassure myself that i wasn't the fattest person in the room.. Then i would be anxious to go to the gym or take an exercise class because I'd be worried everyone would be thinking "what is this fatty doing here?" now i rarely think about it and if i do i remind myself to cut the *kitten*!
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    If I find myself thinking this way I remind myself people don't think about you at ALL as much as you think about yourself. I mean, how much are you really focusing on the body types of the people in the room? Or try to think of someone who is much heavier than you. Do you have a negative opinion of that person? Probably not, or not based on size alone. People like you for who you are. Most of the time they are more worried about what you think of them than any opinion on you or your size.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    When I was chubby (as in 1 lb overweight - is when I decided to lose) I rarely thought about it. Every once in a while I'd think I should exercise more or eat less chips. Sometimes wished I could share clothes with my sister (let's face it that will never happen seeing as I'm 6" taller than her haha).

Now that I've lost weight... I actually worry I'm obsessed. My mind felt healthier when I was heavier, even if my body wasn't. I'm still at a loss of what to do about it. But I kind of feel like time will solve it...
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    When I was Obese, I never thought about it. I just hated how I looked in whatever clothes and couldn't find anything flattering to wear.

Now that I'm a healthy BMI, I still don't think about it.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I admit, I compare a lot. I look at other people and wonder if I'm bigger than them or smaller, or how I'd look in what they are wearing. When I was bigger, I'd take note if I was the biggest in the room.

It's something I'm moving away from, because it's not healthy (I'm far more than my weight) but also probably because I'm a lower weight and less self conscious. But I think there is a big difference between self reflection and letting it colour your interactions. If doing so is making you think you're disgusting or whatnot, you need to work on stopping. Self abuse isn't helpful at all.
  • musicgirl99
    musicgirl99 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Not weird at all. I think about it every second. Always comparing myself to others. It's awful and no way to live.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I don't really have a sense of myself being fat... even when I crossed the line into obese. When I looked in a mirror or at pictures of myself I was always kind of surprised because that wasn't my mind picture of myself. I think about being shorter than people more than my weight.
    I thought about other people's weight negatively more when I hated myself. When I got more positive I would be thinking their hair looked good or they had a nice smile or I liked their outfit instead.
  • Isabelle_1929
    Isabelle_1929 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I think about it all the time. Whether I am with others, or alone. But no only my weight - everything about my look.