Why do you keep your diary private?

Options
I understand keeping it viewable to friends only, that is what I do. But why do you keep your diary private from all? What are your reasons? What's hiding in there?

Replies

• findingfit23
    findingfit23 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Just curious btw
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Mine is viewable to friends only, but why do you assume people are hiding anything?
  • BryanAir
    BryanAir Posts: 434
    Options
    I think it might be discouraging to some of my friends when I commute to work on my bike and I get to eat 2500 - 3000 calories when they only get 1200.
  • Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
    Options
    Its not shared by default. Most people go with default settings, hence more people end up with protected diaries... thats my guess.
  • tryinghard2012
    tryinghard2012 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Accountability....some people don't want others calling them out on their shenanigans :laugh:
  • kater8er
    kater8er Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Mine was defaulted private---I'm glad I changed it though! I mean, I need to be held accountable for what I eat....And the best way for me to be held accountable is making what goes in my mouth public knowledge!
  • BeccyBerry
    BeccyBerry Posts: 312
    Options
    I dont even know if mine is hidden or not. I've not intentionally hidden it, if it is hidden!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Mine was default private, I changed it a couple of weeks ago.
  • Ashleypeterson37
    Ashleypeterson37 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I had mine set that way by default and never cared to change it. I'm doing this for me, not anyone else. If people were that curious about my diary, I'm sure they would have asked and then I would be happy to share. But no one has asked so it stays closed. Simple.
  • sculptandtone
    sculptandtone Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    My diary was private until someone asked me to open it. I didn't open it because i didn't know it was closed.
    But, for those who actually choose to keep their diary private, it's probably like real life. Some people are just more private than others. And that's ok.
  • findingfit23
    findingfit23 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Mine is viewable to friends only, but why do you assume people are hiding anything?

Im not assuming anything, Im asking what is in there
  • GemUK84
    GemUK84 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    i keep mine private because i am a particularly fussy eater, recently found out i became like this from the age of 1. i know that if people could see my diary i would be put off from been truthful about what i eat and this then defeats the object of keeping the diary. i know this is silly but yet another remember i am self-conscious about what other people think of me.
  • ltcampbell
    ltcampbell Posts: 19
    Options
    I had mine public for a while, I even posted daily results on my FB page. I got tired of my diet being picked apart by everyone. I know if I'm eating too much sodium or not enough calories, etc... MFP tells me!!! The advice or criticism even was ridiculous. I thought posting it would keep me in check, but was just frustrating.
  • britishstar41
    britishstar41 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Accountability....some people don't want others calling them out on their shenanigans :laugh:

Actually, yes. I'm not always proud of my food choices, and although they're a mile above where I used to be, I don't feel ready yet to have people approve or disapprove of my choices. I still make mistakes and have fast food on occasion. I just don't need someone telling me it was a bad choice. I already know.
  • HappyathomeMN
    HappyathomeMN Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I am not here for people to point out the flaws in my diet, but on the flip side, I don't whine about not loosing or ask why something isn't working. I know what I need and what I allow myself. Occassionally, that cake with frosting is in there and worth it. :laugh:

But, more power to people who are willing to be that open!! :drinker:
  • tpycha126
    tpycha126 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I turned mine to private, because I had people who would make judgemental comments about what I was eating. So then I wouldn't put in what I was really eating because I didn't want to have to answer for an "off" meal. I realized then that I was only cheating myself and wouldn't get to my goal if I didn't fill it out completely so I turned it to private. Since I turned it to private I have been more honest with myself in what I have been really eating and have learned what I can cut out.
  • plagirl227
    plagirl227 Posts: 134
    Options
    I think it might be discouraging to some of my friends when I commute to work on my bike and I get to eat 2500 - 3000 calories when they only get 1200.

On the contrary, it might be motivating to those friends to exercise more so they too can eat more...
  • jujubean1992
    jujubean1992 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    mine was default private, and i kept it that way for a while because i didn't want everyone to see all the junk i was eating and still being under my calorie goal then i decided i needed to eat healthier too and i switched to it friends only so people can keep me in check.
  • ltcampbell
    Options
    delete- error
  • ltcampbell
    Options
    I turned mine to private, because I had people who would make judgemental comments about what I was eating. So then I wouldn't put in what I was really eating because I didn't want to have to answer for an "off" meal. I realized then that I was only cheating myself and wouldn't get to my goal if I didn't fill it out completely so I turned it to private. Since I turned it to private I have been more honest with myself in what I have been really eating and have learned what I can cut out.

I agree... same experience