I really don't understand now?

Options
2»

Replies

• StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    @aussiedicko I trawled through your diary, sure that I would find some error.

I worked out how many calories you need to cover your daily activities AND your weekly exercise. For you (based on exercise 3-5 times a week) this comes to 2487 to maintain - 1987 to lose 1lb per week.

s0vcml3jjl1v.gif

Over the last month you've averaged 1723 cals per day so in theory you should be on your way to a regular loss. Your logging looks good. I'm afraid I can't comment on fitbits and HRMs because I have virtually zero experience of them.

Assuming that you have the big picture stuff nailed down such as correct activity and food logging (and it looks like you have) I can only offer some pointers in the areas that are usually insignificant. So consider:

Cortisol - Are you getting sufficient sleep? Are you stressed at work or home? Are you giving yourself sufficient rest between exercise sets.
    Hydration - Do you get thirsty? are you drinking enough?

Other than that, I'm stumped.
    act.gif 17.9K
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I ran his stats two way: 1) sedentary/deskjob

Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) = 1654
    Daily calories to maintain weight (TDEE) 1984
    Daily calories based 20% = 1587
    Daily Calories based on 15% = 1687

2) Lighty active exercise 1 - 3 times per week

Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) = 1654
    Daily calories to maintain weight (TDEE) 2274
    Daily calories based 20% = 1819
    Daily Calories based on 15% = 1919

And all though the average estimates at 1713 per day as stealthealth pointed out, these calories are not being eaten in aa consistent way. You may eat 1713 on day, but the next you are 1980, 2000, etc.. So I am going to assume that you are eating back some of your exercise calories. However of the Ftibit adjustments in your exercise diary it looks like step data is coming across as your exercise each day except a few. Of the 300 calorie adjustments how many of these calories are your "steady state cardio based calorie burns" and "how many of these are you eating back you considered weight lifting calories burned" and how many are just calories Fibit gives you for step data"?

With all the information you have been provided and the analysis other have commented on, I think you need to set a Set number of calories to eat per day, and eat those exact calories. So MFP gives you 1800 calories a day eat those calories every day and do this consistently for several weeks. I would not integrate cheat meals or days on the weekends until you get the scale moving.

If you are lapsing on your calories listed in your diary (i.e. some are not weighed, some food you ate is not the diary at all such oil you cook with, pads of butter, condiments, calorie laden beverages, dressing or dips, etc... ) then these calories can be creepy crawaly calories keeping you out of a consistent deficit.

I think consisteanncy is keey until you find the right balance. Trial and error and if you any data from weight loss before you may want to take a look at where you are today in comparation to how you lost weight before. Is there any family work stress, somethin new going on in your life etc..Are you taking any medication etc..

Just start it, do it for a few weeks and adjust it up or down and be careful of the Ftibit calories you decide to eat back during your process.

• StealthHealth
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Initially I assumed that he was eating back exercise cals and that was where we would find the issue. But, he's not.

MFP allocates him 1837 and he is usually (and on average) under that. But I think your comments are spot on ....

RoxieDawn wrote: »
    With all the information you have been provided and the analysis other have commented on, I think you need to set a Set number of calories to eat per day, and eat those exact calories. So MFP gives you 1800 calories a day eat those calories every day and do this consistently for several weeks. I would not integrate cheat meals or days on the weekends until you get the scale moving.

If you are lapsing on your calories listed in your diary (i.e. some are not weighed, some food you ate is not the diary at all such oil you cook with, pads of butter, condiments, calorie laden beverages, dressing or dips, etc... ) then these calories can be creepy crawaly calories keeping you out of a consistent deficit.

I think consisteanncy is keey until you find the right balance. Trial and error and if you any data from weight loss before you may want to take a look at where you are today in comparation to how you lost weight before. Is there any family work stress, somethin new going on in your life etc..Are you taking any medication etc..

Just start it, do it for a few weeks and adjust it up or down and be careful of the Ftibit calories you decide to eat back during your process.

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Sorry diary open now, and to answer a few questions:
    I weigh most things, but not everything.
    I weigh myself probably every week or so, same place, and it has body fat % that fluctuates enormously.
    Weight loss since January 01 is actually 1.8kgs (3.9lbs)

A few years ago I lost weight and went from 96kg to 75kg in what seemed like just 6 months, and I have floated around this weight since.

Very frustrating.

Thanks for all the comments.

You're losing weight, just not at the rate you want.
    tumblr_mogzc7IAye1roa7c8o1_500.gif
  • xKoalaBearx
    xKoalaBearx Posts: 181 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    You're not losing weight because you're taking in too many calories for what you're expending. (CICO). You're probably overestimating your exercise calories, on top of perhaps not correctly measuring your intake.

If I were you, I would not eat back any exercise calories at all, and instead I would stick to 1700 or 1600 or whatever calories per day total. And consider exercise a bonus. It all averages out when you look at it weeks and months at a time.

• StealthHealth
    Options
    You're not losing weight because you're taking in too many calories for what you're expending. (CICO). You're probably overestimating your exercise calories, on top of perhaps not correctly measuring your intake.

If I were you, I would not eat back any exercise calories at all, and instead I would stick to 1700 or 1600 or whatever calories per day total. And consider exercise a bonus. It all averages out when you look at it weeks and months at a time.

if you read the thread you'll see that he is not eating back exercise calories.
  • xKoalaBearx
    xKoalaBearx Posts: 181 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

if you read the thread you'll see that he is not eating back exercise calories.

He wrote "net calories" and I interpreted that as calories after exercise.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Are you taking your measurements? Could you have added muscle mass?

Also, your diary is not open.
    No. You should not be gaining muscle in a deficit.

I would check that. They take people into fitness training platoons in the Army, reduce their caloric load and work their butts off three times a day. Downtime is being active (lots of barracks and yard cleaning) I should know, I was one of them. I went in being able to do 5 push ups and left 30 days later being able to do 25 push ups AND dropped 10 lbs of fat (they measure, big time). I then went in to and breezed basic training/AIT. They have been doing it for decades. So yes, you can gain muscle/lose fat in a deficit.
    Going from 5 to 25 push ups doesn't sound like you were gaining muscle to me. Not that I am belittling the improvement- it is significant. But, it is most likely that the improvement was neuromuscular adaptation to the exercise.

With continued calorific deficit and training that performance improvement would level out and stall until you were in a position to grow more muscle (calorific surplus with continued muscle stimulation).

Bears repeating. People often confuse muscle mass gains with strength gains. The two do not necessarily always correlate.

Though, when you are a MALE at about aged 18 you are best adapted to be the only special snowflake that could lose fat and gain muscle assuming you are getting enough protein and working your a-- off. Why? Mighty mighty testosterone. Women and older men don't have the same advantage that a young guy does.