adrenal fatigue

Options
HELP!!!

I just found out I have adrenal fatigue!! I don't even have the strength to write about it. If you have adrenal fatigue you know what reply I'm talking about.

Replies

• queenbrc
    queenbrc Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have to take hydroxycut hardcore to caffeinate my body enough to be able to stay up all day. If I do not caffeinate myself enough in the morning, I will not be able to stop myself from going to sleep at work or home. They say your body recovers in its sleep...I feel like my body's battlestation has been shut down for several days. I have not been able to "thoroughly recover" for years. I need to be able to really relax and allow my body to shut down.
  • notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of the symptoms of adrenal fatigue. As in if I do an online survey I tick quite a few boxes. I have had low iron and b 12. My vitamin D is up and down. My thyroid is wonky. My GP is thinking I am hyper and that's why I have sleep trouble. Having kids doesn't help much.

What I have done to help myself in the mean time is, limit caffeine after 2 pm. I start work then and find if I have caffeine I have trouble getting to sleep when I finish. I am up at 6am most days so need to sleep. I am not eating as well as I could, but I am eating heaps. I have a higher metabolism than average. I am not sure if it's my thyroid , or the fact I am on my feet all day and lift heavy boxes at work. If I don't get enough to eat when I need to I notice it. I was able to take some holidays. This helped me to recover a bit as well as spend time with my girls and husband. I usually say no to overtime. I did some this week and just got away with it. I may have to say no this week. It is either say no, or have to take sick leave because of exhaustion. My main exercise is weight lifting and aikido. I average 1200 steps a day if not more, so don't think pushing myself with cardio is a good idea right now.

My advice to you is to try and eat well. I am not consistent , but feel better when I get plenty of veggies. Also I would ween yourself off the hydroxycut. I really don't think caffeine is good for you right now. From what I know about the condition is you can only help the symptoms and be gentle on yourself. Also who diagnosed you? Are you sure there isn't something else going on ?
  • RPM86
    RPM86 Posts: 3
    Options
    You need a caffeine detox!
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    You folks need to hash all this out with your docs, not a message board. Addison's disease and thyroid disease are both easily* treatable with a daily pill.

You don't need to go through all this rigamarole if you actually have a medical condition of being deficient in a hormone. Just get that hormone replaced--job done. Why suffer a day longer than you have to?

See your docs.

add: *"easily" for most cases. a few people have problems getting the right dose or a stable dose--fewer than you'd think from reading the web though--satisfied people don't post about their satisfaction, whereas people having trouble are over-represented on support boards.
  • tofufingers
    tofufingers Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have adrenal fatigue too, and it is hard to get through the day sometimes.

I really agree, though, that you should speak with your doctor.
    Your doctor should give you very specific instructions on how to reset your body to get better and how to deal with daytime fatigue in the meantime.
  • queenbrc
    queenbrc Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    My sister told me she has some pills I can take.

She experienced this before and ended up going to doc and has a bottle of something she never took. I am going to give it a try and see if it helps.
  • notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options

She experienced this before and ended up going to doc and has a bottle of something she never took. I am going to give it a try and see if it helps.

Please be very careful taking another persons medication. Seriously you can end up much worse of if you have a reaction. Personally I would never do anything like that.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    I just found out I have adrenal fatigue!!

From who? "Adrenal fatigue" is not a valid diagnosis in the mainstream medical community. More on that here:

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/features/adrenal-fatigue-is-it-real
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    This may very well be a real condition. There are many other things which are now recognized that didn't used to be.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    queenbrc wrote: »

Are you for real or are you trolling? If you got this diagnosis from an actual doctor, talk to them about any medications, etc. If you self diagnosed and are also planning to self medicate - seriously, stop being an idiot. Would you take someone else's heroin if they said it would help you? No, of course not. Just becuase it's a prescription drug doesn't mean it's safe for you to take. It wasn't prescribed to you and could be harmful to you! SMH

How about analyzing your lifestyle first. Are you eating well - meaning enough calories and a proper balance of nutrients? Are you taking a multivitamin? Have you had your thyroid or iron levels or Vit D levels checked? There could be several other problems going on besides adrenal fatigue that should be handled by a doctor.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    I just found out I have adrenal fatigue!!

From who? "Adrenal fatigue" is not a valid diagnosis in the mainstream medical community. More on that here:

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/features/adrenal-fatigue-is-it-real

Yup!
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    Catch_13 wrote: »
    Seriously, you need to stop bothering these people Cherimoose...I've noticed you on several of these forum questions. This is exactly the problem with doctors not giving people the time of day. If you have not gone through this, you have zero right to be commenting as you have no idea what people go through. If you have gone though this, enlighten people with your healing regimen.

You realize this thread is from 2 years ago?
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Cherimoose is right ...the concept of adrenal fatigue is not recognised by the medical or scientific community because that's not how the adrenal system actually works

There's even a fact sheet

"Myth vs. Fact: Adrenal Fatigue describes the theory behind this supposed disorder in which long-term mental, emotional or physical stress outstrips the adrenal glands’ ability to produce enough hormones. The fact sheet refutes this theory and warns against taking potentially harmful supplements designed to “treat” adrenal fatigue. It also differentiates adrenal fatigue from adrenal insufficiency, a real and rare condition in which the adrenal cortex does not produce enough steroid hormones. Adrenal insufficiency is not caused by mental or physical stress."

https://www.endocrine.org/news-room/press-release-archives/2010/new-fact-sheets-dispel-myths-of-adrenal-fatigue

It is rather unfortunate the lead MD is named Chevy Chase to be fair :)
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    I've been told that's a place and MD is Maryland

Snorts
  • Cherimoose
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Catch_13 wrote: »
    If you have not gone through this, you have zero right to be commenting as you have no idea what people go through.

The symptoms are real, no doubt about that. But the diagnosis isn't correct, meaning the symptoms are due to something other than your adrenal glands.. according to most endocrine experts. The correct treatment path starts with a visit to a licensed physician. :+1:

Speaking of Chevy Chase and doctors, here he is pretending to be one B)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2yqUyRXGhI
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Just curious for those who are saying adrenal fatigue is not real... I am just starting to do some research on this after having been to an endocrinologist who said that while my cortisol is low, my testosterone is way low, d is low and b12 is super high - nothing is outside "normal" range except testosterone, but that "rarely causes issues in women". This is a very highly regarded endo. I actually could not stay awake while he was talking to me. But his final result for me was "not endocrine related" and sent me back to my primary doc.

Someone suggested I look up adrenal fatigue and I almost fell over - EVERY SINGLE SYMPTOM on their list is why I went to my primary doc in the first place.

In my limited research so far, I see two very different camps - it is real but unrecognized, or - like here - it is made up and you should go see a "real" doc.

So I am a little lost on what to do now. I am excited that my symptoms correspond with other peoples, but i am not a "snake oil" type person and I firmly believe there must be a cause (diet, perimenopause, etc). I have tried the doctor route and am now desperate for help or something to try - but I am on my own as doctors say I am fine.

Do you all have any other insight on this? I.e. if people who seek these naturopaths are suffering from a condition that is not real, but all have very common collection of symptoms, what is the "other" diagnosis that is being missed? Other options to look into that would mimic this?

My thought right now is simply to try what I can that doesnt require paying someone and I already know is healthy - Ie. following an elimination type diet, using the AFS guidelines on what to eat. Getting more and better sleep, etc. But I dont want to spend months on this and still have same issue because there was an actual medical cause everyone missed.

Any insight is appreciated.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,403 Member
    Options
    aylajane: are you taking vitamin b12 supplements or anything else containing vitamin b12? If so, thenyour explanation is right there.

There are many conditions that cause similar symptoms. Vitamin D3 can cause something like that, as does low ferritin (it doesn't need to be below 15 or so. it's individual to each person). Actually, if you take a B12 supplement you might still be deficient if your body doesn't absorb B12 properly. Thus the standard serum test only tests for total B12, not for active one, the one your body needs. Stress can cause this. Anxiety. Thyroid problems. Lots of other things. But adrenal fatigue does not exist and does not make sense medically.
  • Cherimoose
    Options
    aylajane wrote: »
    what is the "other" diagnosis that is being missed? Other options to look into that would mimic this?

What are you symptoms, besides fatigue?

• aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Thanks both of you for the discussion.

After my results for B12 came by high, despite having all the symptoms of b12 deficiency (totally numb fingers/toes, cold interolance, fatigue, painful muscles, dizziness on standing, etc), I did some research and saw the articles on how serum b12 can be high but "active' b12 still be deficient. My b12 was > 2000 without any supplements or high b12 foods. I have had a sleeve done, and so I assumed my stomach was not making the intrinsic factor necessary to metabolize it, and so I was really deficient - I asked my doctor to let me try the shots of b12 because it really cant hurt since you cannot overdose on it. My doctor would not even read the article about it and thinks it must simply be from too much food with it and says she cannot give me the shots with my levels so high. So I have been supplementing on my own with suligual and spray B12, as well as D - very high doses, for the last month. It "helps" some, but not much.

I also have low(er) blood pressure (90/60 sitting or standing or running), dizziness a lot, occasionally kidney area pain in lower back, pretty sever hypoglycemic episodes where I have to eat or I think I will die, odd panic/anxiety attacks in ways I have never expierienced, painful muscles (a year ago I could deadlift 225 and was in great shape, in the past 6 months i rapidly fell to where I struggle with 135 now, and all lifts hurt). I also cannot be in a car or sitting still without falling asleep. Driving is a serious hazard. I have the worst brain fog ever - i feel like I am walking through jello. Things around me dont seem "real" like I am watching it on tv or something. My periods are irregular for the first time in my life and I have cramps for the first time since high school. Everything seems to point to hormonal issues, which is why I went to endo. But none of my levels are extreme enough for him to think anything is wrong. All are just near the low end (except testosterone, which was almost nonexistent but he says "doesnt normally cause issues in women"). I have an appt with gyno in a few weeks I am hopeful for some answers or help.

All of this happened in the past 4-6 months, I could actually watch it happening and kept trying hard to fight it thinking I was just getting lazy. A year ago I was in the best shape of my life, totally active, working out every day, hiking for miles, running a few miles, energy to spare, sweating like crazy every workout. I now drag myself through each day and despite how much I try during a workout (I still do workouts to keep moving but they are sad and pathetic) - I think my body is incapable of sweating (its been months since I broke a sweat). I keep thinking I just have to power through it or try harder. I have good days and bad days, but the good days are a shadow of what they were and not happening often. There has to be something wrong, it all happened so sudden. But doctors are not coming up with anything, and at this point I am focusing on individual symptom relief through trial and error on my own.
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    aylajane wrote: »
    Thanks both of you for the discussion.

After my results for B12 came by high, despite having all the symptoms of b12 deficiency (totally numb fingers/toes, cold interolance, fatigue, painful muscles, dizziness on standing, etc), I did some research and saw the articles on how serum b12 can be high but "active' b12 still be deficient. My b12 was > 2000 without any supplements or high b12 foods. I have had a sleeve done, and so I assumed my stomach was not making the intrinsic factor necessary to metabolize it, and so I was really deficient - I asked my doctor to let me try the shots of b12 because it really cant hurt since you cannot overdose on it. My doctor would not even read the article about it and thinks it must simply be from too much food with it and says she cannot give me the shots with my levels so high. So I have been supplementing on my own with suligual and spray B12, as well as D - very high doses, for the last month. It "helps" some, but not much.

I also have low blood pressure (90/60 sitting or standing or running), dizziness a lot, occasionally kidney area pain in lower back, pretty sever hypoglycemic episodes where I have to eat or I think I will die, odd panic/anxiety attacks in ways I have never expierienced, painful muscles (a year ago I could deadlift 225 and was in great shape, in the past 6 months i rapidly fell to where I struggle with 135 now, and all lifts hurt). I also cannot be in a car or sitting still without falling asleep. Driving is a serious hazard. I have the worst brain fog ever - i feel like I am walking through jello. Things around me dont seem "real" like I am watching it on tv or something. My periods are irregular for the first time in my life and I have cramps for the first time since high school. Everything seems to point to hormonal issues, which is why I went to endo. But none of my levels are extreme enough for him to think anything is wrong. All are just near the low end (except testosterone, which was almost nonexistent but he says "doesnt normally cause issues in women"). I have an appt with gyno in a few weeks I am hopeful for some answers or help.

All of this happened in the past 4-6 months, I could actually watch it happening and kept trying hard to fight it thinking I was just getting lazy. A year ago I was in the best shape of my life, totally active, working out every day, hiking for miles, running a few miles, energy to spare. I now drag myself through each day. I keep thinking I just have to power through it or try harder. I have good days and bad days, but the good days are a shadow of what they were and not happening often. There has to be something wrong, it all happened so sudden. But doctors are not coming up with anything, and at this point I am focusing on individual symptom relief through trial and error on my own.

I can't even imagine how frustrating this must be. I use to be in great shape, but my losing that was by my own lack of motivation, and it still frustrates me! I will say keep going, keep asking, keep insisting something is wrong. Doctors are only human too and they make mistakes. If you let it just become your norm they will let it be too.