No change in scale- Due to no weight loss OR muscle weight gain

Options
I weighed 196 on the 26th of Jan.
I now weigh 192.

I eat 1800/2300 (I breastfeed which burns around 400-500 call per day)
gym 4x a week. 55 min session of cardiovascular and weight training.

15 mins of weights :
18kg overhead press, chest press, flutes
20m treadmill level 1, 20 min cross trainer level 1, 15 man rowing machine level 7.
back extension 40kg 10 reps, abdominal machine 25 kg 20 reps.

but yet I've only lost 4lbs!!?, I feel so discouraged feel like I'll never lose these 4 stones!! scales arena moving..am I gaining muscle or just not losing weight? ?

tape measurements (not 100% due to not measuring correctly or in the same places possible )

☆3rd FEB starting measurements ☆
TOP OF ARM:39 (3rd) 37 (19th) 36 (25th) 36 (4th march) 3
TOP OF THIGH: 76?? (26th) 72.5 on top of spot mark on left leg (4th march)
HIPS: 116 (3rd) 115 (19th) 114 (25th) 112 (4th march)
WAIST: 108 (26th) 103 (4thmarch)
NECK: 35 (19th) 34 (26th) 34 (4th march)

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    4 lbs in 5 weeks = 0.8 lbs/week = implied deficit of 400 cals/day. Reasonable progress.

I believe 300 is the appropriate number for breastfeeding, but it's probably unknowable.

Closed diary but if you want a faster rate you have scope to eat a bit less as you're not close to goal.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Decrease cardio, increase weights.
  • CelesseBoo
    CelesseBoo Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    How old is baby and are you exclusively breastfeeding?

My 20 month old nurses quite a few times a day and at least once at night but I don't count the calories at all. I started at 202lbs, currently 186.

Perhaps consider reducing the additional nursing calories, especially if baby is eating solids or having any supplementation.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    If you are not progressively increasing those weights, you are not building muscle. If you are in a deficit, it's highly unlikely you are building muscle aside from newbie gains. Muscle building requires a surplus or very careful maintenance. Weightloss is not linear. Some weeks you lose some, some you gain, and some you stay the same. Give it time and possibly tighten up logging by using a food scale if you don't already.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Some women also do not lose a lot of weight while breastfeeding. It happens. There's a fine balance between creating a caloric deficit and having it affect your supply. I didn't lose with the most recent baby until he weaned.
  • kettiecat
    kettiecat Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Have you been weighing right before or after a feeding. Scale weight while breastfeeding is almost impossible to use as a "getting smaller" indicator. Take body measurements until you wean.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    I agree with above. You are making progress, just not as quickly as you envisioned. Just stay the course and let the weight come off at this pace. You have your whole life to manage your weight! You only get one opportunity of about 12-24 months on average to nurse this precious baby. Enjoy! xoxo
  • emmycantbemeeko
    emmycantbemeeko Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Almost a pound a week is actually pretty good progress. Put all the Women's World covers that promise you can drop 22 pounds in a week and friends who did "cleanses" where they lost 9 pounds in a miserable weekend of pooping out of your head. Real fat loss is just not that fast. .5-1 pound a week is good progress for a woman who is not extremely overweight.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Around 1lb a week is pretty good. And breastfeeding may or may not burn 400-500 calories per day, it's pretty hard to gauge the actual number.
  • Fiftyls2looz
    Fiftyls2looz Posts: 45 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    hi all thanks for your replies,
    I'm not eating back my breastfeeding OR exercise calories. I've found that eating 1500 call greatly reduces my milk supply. 1800 - and milk is plentiful...maybe I could go 1700/1600......
    what do you think??

I'm 14 stones 2lbs...or 87kg. 5ft5 or...165cm

I have been trying to lose weight for 5 years but have never had the time because of my kids and also other stuff going on in my life. I would ideally really like to lose at least 2lbs a week as I've got SO much to lose.

how can I make sure I definitely do this???
    also any comments on my exercise or what I should/ shouldn't do? ?

please help "(
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    you lost 4 pounds in a month and a half? that's pretty good. keep up the good work.
    I now weigh 192.

15 mins of weights :
    20m treadmill level 1, 20 min cross trainer level 1, 15 man rowing machine level 7.

but yet I've only lost 4lbs!!?, I feel so discouraged feel like I'll never lose these 4 stones!! scales arena moving..am I gaining muscle or just not losing weight? ?

tape measurements (not 100% due to not measuring correctly or in the same places possible )

you lost 4 pounds in the last month and a half? that's how its done, keep up the good work.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I'm not eating back my breastfeeding OR exercise calories. I've found that eating 1500 call greatly reduces my milk supply. 1800 - and milk is plentiful...maybe I could go 1700/1600......
    what do you think??

I have been trying to lose weight for 5 years but have never had the time because of my kids and also other stuff going on in my life. I would ideally really like to lose at least 2lbs a week as I've got SO much to lose.

please help "(

You honestly do not have that much to lose, relatively speaking; you're what, roughly 50lbs overweight? With 50lbs or so to go, 1 lb to 1.5 lbs a week is more realistic. You are making good progress. You lose weight in the kitchen; you tone up in the gym. Buy a food scale, continue to log everything you eat, and just stay with what you're doing; it is working.
  • Fiftyls2looz
    Options
    CelesseBoo wrote: »
    How old is baby and are you exclusively breastfeeding?

My 20 month old nurses quite a few times a day and at least once at night but I don't count the calories at all. I started at 202lbs, currently 186.

Perhaps consider reducing the additional nursing calories, especially if baby is eating solids or having any supplementation.

baby is 5 months old and yes I'm exclusively bf-ing.

wow you lost a lot of weight, which is so inspirational. How long did it take you and how many calories were you eating?
  • Fiftyls2looz
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    you lost 4 pounds in a month and a half? that's pretty good. keep up the good work.
    I now weigh 192.

15 mins of weights :

you lost 4 pounds in the last month and a half? that's how its done, keep up the good work.

thank you. It's just I wanted to lose 2lbs, as I've got a long way to go.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I now weigh 192.

15 mins of weights :

So what?

This is about the rest of your life

You know how long it took me to lose 53lbs after my 2nd?

Well

There was the 10 years of dicking around yo-yoing from one quick fad to the next

And then there was the 9 months of actually just focusing on CICO ...and I only lost at 2lbs a week for about 7 weeks, then I learned better and slowed it down and lived
  • Fiftyls2looz
    Options
    what do you think??

please help "(

You honestly do not have that much to lose, relatively speaking; you're what, roughly 50lbs overweight? With 50lbs or so to go, 1 lb to 1.5 lbs a week is more realistic. You are making good progress. You lose weight in the kitchen; you tone up in the gym. Buy a food scale, continue to log everything you eat, and just stay with what you're doing; it is working.

with this amount to lose (1bs ) how many months would it take to lose it? 12 ? that seems very difficult to maintain as going to the gym is already proving difficult with 3 kids. I just want to do this in the least amount of time...not because of impatience but because otherwise I may not be able to at all !!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I now weigh 192.

15 mins of weights :

Like in your last thread, you may have to adjust your expectations, at least while you are nursing. Your supply suffers if you cut lower, so you can't cut lower unless you want to stop nursing. You can't lose more weight unless you cut lower.

You are losing, just not fast enough. Keep going. Worry about losing faster when you are done nursing.

• Fiftyls2looz
    Options
    I now weigh 192.

15 mins of weights :

Like in your last thread, you may have to adjust your expectations, at least while you are nursing. Your supply suffers if you cut lower, so you can't cut lower unless you want to stop nursing. You can't lose more weight unless you cut lower.

You are losing, just not fast enough. Keep going. Worry about losing faster when you are done nursing.

I totally get what your saying. I'm actually planning on nursing for 2 years in total.
    hey 1 thing I don't understand is you know all the websites say you burn 300-600 call a day BFing, yet my deficiting so much from my maintenance calorie level (2700 due to activity level and BFing factor) yet I lose just 1lb still!!??

how does that work? what about the laws of thermodynamics? ??
    that's why I was wondering that perhaps the lesser rate of Weight loss is perhaps due to the MUSCLE building that I'm doing???

is that feasible? ?
  • tnm7760
    tnm7760 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Well, if it makes you feel any better I've been eating 1200-1300 calories and working out pretty hard (burning 400-500 calories) 5-6 days a week and I've lost TWO measly pounds since January 1st. I don't usually eat back my workout calories. I *should* be losing about 1.5lbs/week based on my assumed deficit. It's super depressing.

I know some say I must be eating more than that of I would be losing. But, I weigh everything (if a food shows cups/Tbsp it's because a gram entry wasn't available, but I still picked the correct unit based on calories & weight). And even if I were off by a few calories, I'm certainly not off by 500 per day, and even then I'd be losing about 1lb/week.

And most say you won't build muscle on a deficit, and I have to be in a deficit.

But, I've lost enough inches that my best fitting pants are saggy and won't last much longer (my tight fitting, muffin-top pants are another story, lol).

So something is working.

4lbs is good progress. You're probably not heavy enough to lose much faster than that. Keep at it and trust the process. It won't feel so time consuming after a while.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I now weigh 192.

15 mins of weights :

I totally get what your saying. I'm actually planning on nursing for 2 years in total.
    hey 1 thing I don't understand is you know all the websites say you burn 300-600 call a day BFing, yet my deficiting so much from my maintenance calorie level (2700 due to activity level and BFing factor) yet I lose just 1lb still!!??

how does that work? what about the laws of thermodynamics? ??
    that's why I was wondering that perhaps the lesser rate of Weight loss is perhaps due to the MUSCLE building that I'm doing???

is that feasible? ?

Well, you are looking at the calories out part of the equation. The calories in part is the most important.
    Your diary isn't open so it's hard to say. How accurate are you being? Do you log everything? Do you weigh your food?
    If your maintenance is 2700 and you are eating 2300, that's only a 400 calorie deficit - puts you on target for 1 lbs a week. Actually, just under.
    If you eat 1800, that's a 900 calorie deficit, which should be over 1lb, however, if you are underestimating, by even just a bit, you can easily be off a few, keeping you in the 1lb range.

It is possible you gained muscle, however, while eating at a deficit, there is only so much you can gain. You won't be gaining enough to offset weight loss. A woman eating at a surplus, lifting, trying to gain muscle will be doing well to gain 1 lb a month in muscle.