No change in scale- Due to no weight loss OR muscle weight gain

Options

Replies

• Fiftyls2looz
    Fiftyls2looz Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    tnm7760 wrote: »
    Well, if it makes you feel any better I've been eating 1200-1300 calories and working out pretty hard (burning 400-500 calories) 5-6 days a week and I've lost TWO measly pounds since January 1st. I don't usually eat back my workout calories. I *should* be losing about 1.5lbs/week based on my assumed deficit. It's super depressing.

I know some say I must be eating more than that of I would be losing. But, I weigh everything (if a food shows cups/Tbsp it's because a gram entry wasn't available, but I still picked the correct unit based on calories & weight). And even if I were off by a few calories, I'm certainly not off by 500 per day, and even then I'd be losing about 1lb/week.

And most say you won't build muscle on a deficit, and I have to be in a deficit.

But, I've lost enough inches that my best fitting pants are saggy and won't last much longer (my tight fitting, muffin-top pants are another story, lol).

So something is working.

4lbs is good progress. You're probably not heavy enough to lose much faster than that. Keep at it and trust the process. It won't feel so time consuming after a while.

wow that's great..how many inches have you lost so far?
  • Fiftyls2looz
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    you lost 4 pounds in a month and a half? that's pretty good. keep up the good work.
    I weighed 196 on the 26th of Jan.
    I now weigh 192.

I eat 1800/2300 (I breastfeed which burns around 400-500 call per day)
    gym 4x a week. 55 min session of cardiovascular and weight training.

15 mins of weights :
    18kg overhead press, chest press, flutes
    20m treadmill level 1, 20 min cross trainer level 1, 15 man rowing machine level 7.
    back extension 40kg 10 reps, abdominal machine 25 kg 20 reps.

but yet I've only lost 4lbs!!?, I feel so discouraged feel like I'll never lose these 4 stones!! scales arena moving..am I gaining muscle or just not losing weight? ?

tape measurements (not 100% due to not measuring correctly or in the same places possible )

☆3rd FEB starting measurements ☆
    TOP OF ARM:39 (3rd) 37 (19th) 36 (25th) 36 (4th march) 3
    TOP OF THIGH: 76?? (26th) 72.5 on top of spot mark on left leg (4th march)
    HIPS: 116 (3rd) 115 (19th) 114 (25th) 112 (4th march)
    WAIST: 108 (26th) 103 (4thmarch)
    NECK: 35 (19th) 34 (26th) 34 (4th march)

you lost 4 pounds in the last month and a half? that's how its done, keep up the good work.

thank you. It's just I wanted to lose 2lbs, as I've got a long way to go.

Like in your last thread, you may have to adjust your expectations, at least while you are nursing. Your supply suffers if you cut lower, so you can't cut lower unless you want to stop nursing. You can't lose more weight unless you cut lower.

You are losing, just not fast enough. Keep going. Worry about losing faster when you are done nursing.

I totally get what your saying. I'm actually planning on nursing for 2 years in total.
    hey 1 thing I don't understand is you know all the websites say you burn 300-600 call a day BFing, yet my deficiting so much from my maintenance calorie level (2700 due to activity level and BFing factor) yet I lose just 1lb still!!??

how does that work? what about the laws of thermodynamics? ??
    that's why I was wondering that perhaps the lesser rate of Weight loss is perhaps due to the MUSCLE building that I'm doing???

is that feasible? ?

Well, you are looking at the calories out part of the equation. The calories in part is the most important.
    Your diary isn't open so it's hard to say. How accurate are you being? Do you log everything? Do you weigh your food?
    If your maintenance is 2700 and you are eating 2300, that's only a 400 calorie deficit - puts you on target for 1 lbs a week. Actually, just under.
    If you eat 1800, that's a 900 calorie deficit, which should be over 1lb, however, if you are underestimating, by even just a bit, you can easily be off a few, keeping you in the 1lb range.

It is possible you gained muscle, however, while eating at a deficit, there is only so much you can gain. You won't be gaining enough to offset weight loss. A woman eating at a surplus, lifting, trying to gain muscle will be doing well to gain 1 lb a month in muscle.

could you provide a link to where it says that about women and muscle gain, it's very interesting. I have now opened my diary for all to read. "》
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    you lost 4 pounds in a month and a half? that's pretty good. keep up the good work.
    I now weigh 192.

15 mins of weights :
    20m treadmill level 1, 20 min cross trainer level 1, 15 man rowing machine level 7.

but yet I've only lost 4lbs!!?, I feel so discouraged feel like I'll never lose these 4 stones!! scales arena moving..am I gaining muscle or just not losing weight? ?

tape measurements (not 100% due to not measuring correctly or in the same places possible )

you lost 4 pounds in the last month and a half? that's how its done, keep up the good work.

Like in your last thread, you may have to adjust your expectations, at least while you are nursing. Your supply suffers if you cut lower, so you can't cut lower unless you want to stop nursing. You can't lose more weight unless you cut lower.

You are losing, just not fast enough. Keep going. Worry about losing faster when you are done nursing.

I totally get what your saying. I'm actually planning on nursing for 2 years in total.
    hey 1 thing I don't understand is you know all the websites say you burn 300-600 call a day BFing, yet my deficiting so much from my maintenance calorie level (2700 due to activity level and BFing factor) yet I lose just 1lb still!!??

that's why I was wondering that perhaps the lesser rate of Weight loss is perhaps due to the MUSCLE building that I'm doing???

is that feasible? ?

you're not building muscle
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I don't see how 4 pounds is no weight lost.

If you want to lose faster, eat less.
  • chel325
    chel325 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Hey! I was around 190 lbs in January and now I'm around 165

I ate 1450 calories a day and started weighing everything! I'm a lot shorter than you and am not breast feeding so 1800 or 1700 is probably best for you.

I really suggest you weigh everything and be careful about measurements! I've been on this journey for 3 years and when I don't weigh my food I don't lose, simple as that. It's way too easy to over eat when you eyeball and guess.

I know you can do this! If you'd like to add me for support you can. I know how frusterating it is to work for something for 5years and still not achieve it!

I think you can definitely lose more than a pound a month. I've made one of these posts before when I wasn't losing and people said the same thing, that 4 pounds in 3 months was okay, maybe it was okay for them but not me. Just try weighing your food and see how it goes from there. I wouldn't restrict anymore if you don't have to!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

@Francl27 -
    When she cuts lower than what she's already eating, her milk supply drops.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    I now weigh 192.

15 mins of weights :

is that feasible? ?

Well, you are looking at the calories out part of the equation. The calories in part is the most important.
    Your diary isn't open so it's hard to say. How accurate are you being? Do you log everything? Do you weigh your food?
    If your maintenance is 2700 and you are eating 2300, that's only a 400 calorie deficit - puts you on target for 1 lbs a week. Actually, just under.
    If you eat 1800, that's a 900 calorie deficit, which should be over 1lb, however, if you are underestimating, by even just a bit, you can easily be off a few, keeping you in the 1lb range.

It is possible you gained muscle, however, while eating at a deficit, there is only so much you can gain. You won't be gaining enough to offset weight loss. A woman eating at a surplus, lifting, trying to gain muscle will be doing well to gain 1 lb a month in muscle.

could you provide a link to where it says that about women and muscle gain, it's very interesting. I have now opened my diary for all to read. "》
    I now weigh 192.

15 mins of weights :

is that feasible? ?

I'm on my phone so it's harder to search but here is one

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/how-much-muscle-can-you-gain/
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I have found that workout calories don't mean very much. The deficit is nearly all diet.
  • Fiftyls2looz
    Options
    chel325 wrote: »
    Hey! I was around 190 lbs in January and now I'm around 165

I ate 1450 calories a day and started weighing everything! I'm a lot shorter than you and am not breast feeding so 1800 or 1700 is probably best for you.

I really suggest you weigh everything and be careful about measurements! I've been on this journey for 3 years and when I don't weigh my food I don't lose, simple as that. It's way too easy to over eat when you eyeball and guess.

I know you can do this! If you'd like to add me for support you can. I know how frusterating it is to work for something for 5years and still not achieve it!

I think you can definitely lose more than a pound a month. I've made one of these posts before when I wasn't losing and people said the same thing, that 4 pounds in 3 months was okay, maybe it was okay for them but not me. Just try weighing your food and see how it goes from there. I wouldn't restrict anymore if you don't have to!

hi thanks for your support,
    I already DO weigh my food in a food scale ( and measure liquid in a jug etc) and I've lost 4 lbs in 5 weeks. I'm quiet stunned at your weight loss, what a fantastic amount to lose!! did you exercise at all?? x
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    Options
    I now weigh 192.

15 mins of weights :

is that feasible? ?

I now weigh 192.

15 mins of weights :

is that feasible? ?

Worth quoting:
    • Average Natural MAN: between 0.25 and 0.5 pounds of muscle per week (or about 1-2 pounds of muscle gained per month).
    • Average Natural WOMAN: between 0.12 – 0.25 pounds of muscle per week (or about 0.5-1 pound of muscle gained per month).

Once again, we’re strictly talking MUSCLE, not WEIGHT. Besides actual muscle, weight gained throughout the week could be (and often is) fat, water or glycogen. We’re not talking about any of those here.

And really, this is the rate you can expect under the best possible circumstances. Meaning, an ideal muscle building workout routine and diet, an ideal amount of sleep every night, rest, recovery, consistency, lack of stress, and so on. Basically, when everything is done as perfectly as it could be, this is how fast you can expect to build muscle.

And once again… these numbers are averages. Some may exceed them (rare) and some may never reach them (unfortunately true). The exact amount of muscle you can build per week, month or year is based on a handful of individual factors specific to you. Speaking of those factors, let’s find out what they are.

Read more: http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/how-much-muscle-can-you-gain/
  • Fiftyls2looz
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I now weigh 192.

15 mins of weights :

So what?

This is about the rest of your life

You know how long it took me to lose 53lbs after my 2nd?

Well

There was the 10 years of dicking around yo-yoing from one quick fad to the next

And then there was the 9 months of actually just focusing on CICO ...and I only lost at 2lbs a week for about 7 weeks, then I learned better and slowed it down and lived

you did great. so how much on average did you lose per week in those nine months ??
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I now weigh 192.

15 mins of weights :

is that feasible? ?

I now weigh 192.

15 mins of weights :

is that feasible? ?

Worth quoting:
    • Average Natural MAN: between 0.25 and 0.5 pounds of muscle per week (or about 1-2 pounds of muscle gained per month).
    • Average Natural WOMAN: between 0.12 – 0.25 pounds of muscle per week (or about 0.5-1 pound of muscle gained per month).

Once again, we’re strictly talking MUSCLE, not WEIGHT. Besides actual muscle, weight gained throughout the week could be (and often is) fat, water or glycogen. We’re not talking about any of those here.

And really, this is the rate you can expect under the best possible circumstances. Meaning, an ideal muscle building workout routine and diet, an ideal amount of sleep every night, rest, recovery, consistency, lack of stress, and so on. Basically, when everything is done as perfectly as it could be, this is how fast you can expect to build muscle.

And once again… these numbers are averages. Some may exceed them (rare) and some may never reach them (unfortunately true). The exact amount of muscle you can build per week, month or year is based on a handful of individual factors specific to you. Speaking of those factors, let’s find out what they are.

Read more: http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/how-much-muscle-can-you-gain/

Also the quote references diet but doesn't specify. This is referring to a bulk where one would be eating at a surplus.
  • Fiftyls2looz
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

the reason I said no weight loss is because sometimes when I jump on the scale I show 194...even now a month after. and sometimes I'll show 192. Sometimes I'm 88.5kg...sometimes I'm 87. so it seems on some day as I'm making no (VERY insignificant) progress.
  • Fiftyls2looz
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    I have found that workout calories don't mean very much. The deficit is nearly all diet.

is the benefit of exercising just for toning then?
  • MaryLeuelu
    MaryLeuelu Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I think you are doing just fine. Keep it up. But remember 1lb is 1 lb, No matter what it is potato, tomato, turnip, fat or muscle. There are many times that the scales don't show anything, but yr body has gone smaller somewhere. Measure yourself as well. As I said keep it up. Baby steps...
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    OP, I just wanted to reiterate what others have said, you need to adjust your expectations.

It is perfectly typical to take @ one year to lose 50 lbs. And it is more important for you to do this in a healthy fashion, so you don't adversely affect your milk supply.

Losing the weight AND keeping it off will be something you will need to do for the rest of your life. If you look at it as - I need to get this weight off quick so I don't have to think about it anymore - you are way more likely to either burn out before you reach your goal, or to gain it back after you're done.

Edited to add: Weight loss isn't linear. Even if you did everything absolutely perfect, some days you will lose a lb, some days you will gain a lb, some days there will be no change. There are all sorts of processes going on in your body that affect scale weight (your milk production, water weight, digestion, etc.)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »

Disagree. I lost weight twice as fast last year during gardening season when I was putting in a few hours a day out there. Or swimming an hour at a time.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    I checked your diary.

For the past 7 days or so your average calorie intake was about 2050.
    You said maintenance is 2700 so that's 650 deficit. It's a bit over 1lb a week but keep in mind all of these numbers are estimates. You are losing 1lb a week so you aren't far off where you should be.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    hi all thanks for your replies,
    I'm not eating back my breastfeeding OR exercise calories. I've found that eating 1500 call greatly reduces my milk supply. 1800 - and milk is plentiful...maybe I could go 1700/1600......
    what do you think??

I'm 14 stones 2lbs...or 87kg. 5ft5 or...165cm

I have been trying to lose weight for 5 years but have never had the time because of my kids and also other stuff going on in my life. I would ideally really like to lose at least 2lbs a week as I've got SO much to lose.

how can I make sure I definitely do this???
    also any comments on my exercise or what I should/ shouldn't do? ?

please help "(

You honestly do not have that much to lose, relatively speaking; you're what, roughly 50lbs overweight? With 50lbs or so to go, 1 lb to 1.5 lbs a week is more realistic. You are making good progress. You lose weight in the kitchen; you tone up in the gym. Buy a food scale, continue to log everything you eat, and just stay with what you're doing; it is working.

Most helpful advice so far. Expect to lose 1 to 1.5 lbs a week. Buy a food scale. Keep going.
  • Onamissionforfit
    Onamissionforfit Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Scales are not accurate they are deceiving. Weight and fat are not the same. A scale weighs fat muscle mass and bones.