How often do u think about being fat? Like I think of my weight every time I'm in a room with people

Options

Replies

• coolskeleton95
    coolskeleton95 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My weight has practically ruled the way I think about myself and the way I interact with others for years now. I used to avoid socializing and would go out of my way not to exercise in public because I was worried about how I looked to other people, but thankfully that's eased off a little now.
  • hopeandtheabsurd
    hopeandtheabsurd Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Whenever I enter a setting, my weight compared to others is one thing I notice (still remember the time I went to a nightclub in LA at about 15 pounds overweight and was the fattest person in the whole room!). I also notice how old I am compared to everyone else, how I am dressed compared to others, the gender ratio, racial make-up, general mood of the room, etc. I like to fly under the radar so hate to be the most or least of any characteristic. B)
  • trinty425
    trinty425 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I've had this happen to me many times. I seem to always realize when I am the biggest person in the room / area. Then I start becoming paranoid and conscience about it. Then it sometimes effects my confidence as well, I stay quiet, etc. because I don't want people looking at me...and realize too I am the biggest in the room. It is really frustrating.
  • soniamemms
    soniamemms Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    It seems that the more I lose weight, the more I am conscious of my weight. You would think it would be the other way around for me. But, I do think, when I walk into a room...am I smaller than this person? I think most people are always comparing no matter what size. We are never really happy about our bodies, even if we do lose weight, the warped mentality is always there. At least for me anyway. I was a 14/16, XL. I am now a 10/12. I'm still just as self conscious as I was before.
  • rats2010
    rats2010 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I've actually had people comment (in restraunts) about the "fat lady eating a salad- too late for her now." When this happens, I tell them what I think ie: none of their effing business, they are not paying my way/ticket, eff off. Other than that, I occasionally think about it, mainly when it's a booth or cramped sitting space that I feel squeezed into. The rest of the time, I'm more focused on conversation or enjoying my food.
  • tkphotogirl
    tkphotogirl Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I tend to do the size comparison thing with other people mainly because I don't have a solid sense of the size of my body. Sometimes in my head I'm not the size I am now, I'm still the size I was 60+lbs ago. I do find myself thinking about it more than I want to, but I'm finding it a hard habit to change.
  • TehLaughingDog
    TehLaughingDog Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Yeah I think about this a lot. People treat you a lot different too - you can tell and people are more inclined to make remarks assuming you're dumb as well. And skinny people easily assume you know nothing about eating heathy or exercising when fat but when you're your former skinny self people are "inspired" by your passion. From being skinny and becoming fat due to depression and medication I feel like I can really tell. Guys too are less likely to just be normal and more likely to be jerks or standoffish until they realize that, for myself, I'm a lesbian. As if they're worried the fat chick will like them or something until they realize the fat chick doesn't give a rats *kitten* about them.

I also don't clothes shop for this reason. Nor do I keep in contact with people who knew me before the weight gain - I don't want them to see me again and just remark afterwards on my weight. /sigh.
  • PlantBasedRnr
    PlantBasedRnr Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I think about it every minute of everyday... I obsess over it. I have been overweight for as long as I can remember and recently lost 70 lbs... but still look in the mirror and see the " fat " me even though people constantly comment on my weight loss - it is HORRIBLE, I truly wish that I could love and accept the body I was given and the new body I have worked for.
  • sparklebunnbunn
    sparklebunnbunn Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I do the same although I'm getting better at controlling those thoughts. Think of your friends and family, do you immediately think of their size and shape? No you think of their smiling faces and how they make you feel. Anyone worth knowing only cares what's on the inside
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I think about it pretty much all day. If only I could lose enough to be confident about my appearance instead of anxious all the time, then I might instead think about how great I look instead.
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Rdsgoal16 wrote: »
    When I walk into body combat class and 95% of the people in there are at ideal bmi I start to think about it....then the music starts and I just try to make it through.

When I first started MMA, I felt exactly this way. Then I dropped 25 lbs and now other people look at me the way I used to look at the really fit people. Quite a change, even though (ironically) I'm not yet at ideal BMI.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,120 Member
    Options
    If I'm at work sitting in a meeting, I'm thinking about how I'm fatter than most in the room. Right now I'm out eating lunch I am thinking how fat I am compared to others in here. How often do people think about it? Am I weird ? I wonder if people are thinking about how fat I am. Or if I disgust them ?

Most people think in a similar pattern to what you do, that is, they think about how they compare to everyone else around them. They do this not look at others and think about them, but look at themselves and see whatever they consider their shortcomings. Due to that, they rarely if ever consider how fat you are, and if they do, it is highly unlikely you disgust them.
  • codygish
    codygish Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    If I'm at work sitting in a meeting, I'm thinking about how I'm fatter than most in the room. Right now I'm out eating lunch I am thinking how fat I am compared to others in here. How often do people think about it? Am I weird ? I wonder if people are thinking about how fat I am. Or if I disgust them ?

Most people think in a similar pattern to what you do, that is, they think about how they compare to everyone else around them. They do this not look at others and think about them, but look at themselves and see whatever they consider their shortcomings. Due to that, they rarely if ever consider how fat you are, and if they do, it is highly unlikely you disgust them.

^^^^ This. Other people are not worried about you. They are thinking about themselves. They are worried about their insecurities.

This part of why confident people who smile, are kind, and engage with others are more successful. They make people feel better about themselves.

If you are a reader, look up a book called "How to win friends and influence people". The author covers this discussion in detail.

You're not weird - You are human, just like the rest of us! :smile:
  • JHALLISGETTINGsmall
    JHALLISGETTINGsmall Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Yeah I think about this a lot. People treat you a lot different too - you can tell and people are more inclined to make remarks assuming you're dumb as well. And skinny people easily assume you know nothing about eating heathy or exercising when fat but when you're your former skinny self people are "inspired" by your passion. From being skinny and becoming fat due to depression and medication I feel like I can really tell. Guys too are less likely to just be normal and more likely to be jerks or standoffish until they realize that, for myself, I'm a lesbian. As if they're worried the fat chick will like them or something until they realize the fat chick doesn't give a rats *kitten* about them.

I also don't clothes shop for this reason. Nor do I keep in contact with people who knew me before the weight gain - I don't want them to see me again and just remark afterwards on my weight. /sigh.

HA! I love this! I am a lesbian too. Its like I have felt the exact same way about guys... Its like i wonder if i was hotter to them -would they have held the door for me or something. TBH i don't even care but it still something I think about. Sometimes I do think that people tend to think overweight people are also uneducated. I have a masters degree and two bachelors degrees! Its just like -Come on! but sometimes I do feel that society makes that assumption. Im working on me!
  • luvleephilly
    luvleephilly Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    I don't really have a sense of myself being fat... even when I crossed the line into obese. When I looked in a mirror or at pictures of myself I was always kind of surprised because that wasn't my mind picture of myself. I think about being shorter than people more than my weight.
    I thought about other people's weight negatively more when I hated myself. When I got more positive I would be thinking their hair looked good or they had a nice smile or I liked their outfit instead.

I agree there. Last night while doing a before and during picture I was quite surprised at the before picture because I was oblivious that I had gotten so fat. I knew when I took the picture I hated how it looked and that was after I lost about ten pounds but comparing it with the 30 lbs lost picture was definitely an eyeopener.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    I think it is a bit strange in that you are imagining yourself as the center of the universe. Of course most of the time, other people are so wrapped up in their own thoughts/worries/dramas that they really aren't going to be noticing you much at all.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    My body thoughts tend to focus on jealousy. "I wish I could look like her." "Why do I have to be the fat one? Why can't I be a thin person like [insert name here]?" I always want what I don't have. It's very difficult for me to think about what I DO have, and what's good in my life. But that's life with mental illness (I'm bipolar). I've tried many times to work on these issues with therapists, but it's so hard-wired into my brain to compare myself to others that it's almost impossible to break the pattern. My go-to thought right now, when I'm confronted with the body jealousy, is to tell myself, "OK, I'm not where I want to be right now, but I'M WORKING ON IT!"
  • Tyler2020Mike
    Tyler2020Mike Posts: 53 Member
    Options

No, you're not weird. Just about everyone compares themselves to others, it's one of the main reasons most of us know when we're "dropping the ball," or "fitting in." I do it from time to time, followed with the tugging of my shirt.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    If you are sitting in a boring meeting, most likely your coworkers are bored to tears and are NOT thinking about anything else other than is it time to go home already! Also, most people are too caught up in their own lives to give a random thought about a coworker.

Just my 2-cents. Its free ya know. :)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I used to think about how fat I was (and I admit I was a little disgusted too) when I dressed, and whenever fat body parts touched other fat body parts. Walking uphill was more distressing than exhausting, and buying clothes traumatic.