Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Water only detox

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Nikion901 wrote: »
    Back in 1978 I did a 97 hour water only fast for the heck of it. I carried a gallon jug of water around in my car so that I could drink it whenever I got hungry ... but after about 48 hours I had to remind myself to drink the water.

Have never done it again, but felt fine during it. Really kind of like on a high of some sort. Not thinking of ever doing it again.

Which is why it is often done for religious reasons: 1) You can devote the time you would be eating to prayer and 2) you get "closer to God"

It has more to do with self denial (demonstrating a willingness to put God above our own needs) and putting the desires of the flesh into subjection of the spirit.

That is the official reason, along with setting aside time for prayer. The reality is that the "high" you get when fasting can lead to all kinds of interesting things when combined with religious fervor.

What is this supposed "high" from fasting? I've never heard of it until this thread and I've certainly never experienced it. I have experienced quite the opposite of what I'd call a "high."

You start hallucinating, both auditory and visual.

LOL!!! In 3 days??????

No, no you don't.

I did, and so did many of the other church members (at least they said they did). When you expect something to happen, it will. Yes, it is all created by you in your mind but that is what the power of suggestion does (we also spoke in tongues, prophesied, got "slain in the spirit" (aka blacked out)and all kinds of other things). I am glad I got out of that

I've never hallucinated. I've expected lots of things that didn't happen. I've had lots of things happen I didn't expect.

Try 3 days of water only and throw in sleep deprivation (remember, your entire time is supposed to be devoted to prayer) and see. Anyway, we are derailing this thread and I am long away from the craziness of that church so let's get back to discussing the woo of detoxing.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Nikion901 wrote: »
    Back in 1978 I did a 97 hour water only fast for the heck of it. I carried a gallon jug of water around in my car so that I could drink it whenever I got hungry ... but after about 48 hours I had to remind myself to drink the water.

Have never done it again, but felt fine during it. Really kind of like on a high of some sort. Not thinking of ever doing it again.

Which is why it is often done for religious reasons: 1) You can devote the time you would be eating to prayer and 2) you get "closer to God"

It has more to do with self denial (demonstrating a willingness to put God above our own needs) and putting the desires of the flesh into subjection of the spirit.

That is the official reason, along with setting aside time for prayer. The reality is that the "high" you get when fasting can lead to all kinds of interesting things when combined with religious fervor.

What is this supposed "high" from fasting? I've never heard of it until this thread and I've certainly never experienced it. I have experienced quite the opposite of what I'd call a "high."

You start hallucinating, both auditory and visual.

LOL!!! In 3 days??????

No, no you don't.

I did, and so did many of the other church members (at least they said they did). When you expect something to happen, it will. Yes, it is all created by you in your mind but that is what the power of suggestion does (we also spoke in tongues, prophesied, got "slain in the spirit" (aka blacked out)and all kinds of other things). I am glad I got out of that

I've never hallucinated. I've expected lots of things that didn't happen. I've had lots of things happen I didn't expect.

Try 3 days of water only and throw in sleep deprivation (remember, your entire time is supposed to be devoted to prayer) and see. Anyway, we are derailing this thread and I am long away from the craziness of that church so let's get back to discussing the woo of detoxing.

I've done 3 days (four nights) of water only on several occasions.

Sleep deprivation has been shown to result in hallucinations.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Just look online
    CDC.gov
    One of the two I am familiar with is mercury and arsenic,but there are so many more that we are exposed to on constant basis(think about what contaminants do to your hormonal health and fertility. Obesity is just the tip of the iceberg. Our water is a big contaminant. I am not 100%sure but it does feel like fasting gives the body a rest so it can get its strength immunity to these toxins back up. I could be wrong but I do it not for long just day or 2 and I have noticed some energy changes
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I believe in detoxing. Your probably right on track-I have only been able to do 1 25 hour stretch and I drink Fiji artesian-where I live water is *kitten* they put toxic chlorine in it and there are toxic chemicals present. Good luck add me I might join you if you do 5 days

Fabulous @DancingDarl I've been waiting for someone who believes in this to come along and explain the following

What exactly you are detoxing from your body? Can you name the most troublesome toxins and their effects on the body?

What is the method by which these said toxins are removed from the body?

So @DancingDarl you believe water fasting removes heavy metals from your body ?

You state that there is so many more we are exposed to daily ? Can you name them ? Can you clarify - how would water fasting remove these toxins ?
  • adtwin33
    adtwin33 Posts: 34 Member
    I've read about water only detoxification (water fast)where people only consume water for a few days to flush out unwanted toxins, but should not over drink water. I know some people on some religions fast, but this is not religion related. Some websites say this is a real and simplest detox.. What do you think about water only detox?

Water detox is probably not a good choice. However, try it and tell us the results.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    adtwin33 wrote: »
    I've read about water only detoxification (water fast)where people only consume water for a few days to flush out unwanted toxins, but should not over drink water. I know some people on some religions fast, but this is not religion related. Some websites say this is a real and simplest detox.. What do you think about water only detox?

Water detox is probably not a good choice. However, try it and tell us the results.

Why would you tell someone to try something that you think is probably not a good choice?
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member

Why would you tell someone to try something that you think is probably not a good choice?

Some people just want to watch the world burn.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    edited February 2016

Some people just want to watch the world burn.

Some people just want to watch the world burn [calories].
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    A water only detox? People survive that? If you do it, you could die from hyponatremia. Just eat and drink and exercise unless you are in the ICU; but then your fluids would be appropriate to keep you alive as much as possible.
  • tinyc82
    tinyc82 Posts: 21 Member
    msf74 wrote: »
    msf74 wrote: »
    Isn't "detox" just code for "I will starve myself to achieve quick weight loss but starving oneself is seen as socially unacceptable so I will give it a vague health related title so I get a free pass on criticism?"

Yup.

Well that's one subject sorted then.

Shall we tackle world poverty next ;)

• ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    There is no need for a detox. Your kidneys, your liver, your digestive system, your lungs and your skin do all the detoxifying for you. Your body is set up to do this and it requires fuel to work. Eat fresh healthy food, have more vegetables and fruits, drink more water and your body will flush toxins from your system. Lose weight and the toxins in your fat will be eliminated as well. Breathe and you are detoxifying. Sweat at the gym and you are detoxifying. I've experienced an increase in acne and that is all the toxins coming out of my skin. Detoxifying as you suggest with a water fast is going to remove good things as well as bad, such as minerals, sodium, nutrients. I suggest eat well and exercise and let your body to what its supposed to do.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    @DancingDarl I'm not sure if you ever intended to revisit this thread but I'm assuming the toxins you are hoping to flush are bilirubin?

The only way to stop bilirubin from building up (other than what the liver does naturally) is to make red blood cells immortal. Water won't do that.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member

jumping off the Brooklyn bridge is not a good choice either;however,try it and tell us the results...
  • jillian909
    jillian909 Posts: 31 Member
    Hmm... so then I shouldn't buy the detox stuff people try to sell me on my Instagram feed? WHY IS NOTHING EASY?!
  • eharn02
    eharn02 Posts: 12 Member
    what food are we allowed to eat with this detox?

Ice.

LOL!!! :smile:
  • ohhello35
    ohhello35 Posts: 2 Member
    Have you thought of the "master cleanse"? It's water, lemon, cheyenne pepper, maple syrup, and some form of fiber or laxative. This way you'll have some form of nutrients. Otherwise I think it's just starvation...
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    What do the water, lemon, cheyenne pepper, maple syrup do as far a detox or cleanse? Pretty obvious what fiber or laxatives are for.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    ohhello35 wrote: »
    Have you thought of the "master cleanse"? It's water, lemon, cheyenne pepper, maple syrup, and some form of fiber or laxative. This way you'll have some form of nutrients. Otherwise I think it's just starvation...

What nutrition is there really in that concoction?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,953 Member

So you recommend a starvation diet with laxatives over starvation alone?
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    edited March 2016

Lol.

Literally no better than nothing but water.

Actually probably worse.