MFP article photos depressing

Options
BestWishesForYou
BestWishesForYou Posts: 34 Member
edited March 2016 in Motivation and Support
I receive MFP articles in my email. Often these articles are accompanied by photos of very thin models. Workout photos are of advanced athletes; photos that supposedly depict average MFP users use models who have reached the height of physical fitness and beauty. That certainly isn't me. I am an average, middle-aged woman in need of motivation and inspiration to make healthy choices. These photos feel like they are rubbing my face in the kind body type I can never achieve. Today I saw an article about managing morning chaos. The seated model that we see from behind appears to be very tall and maybe a size 2 or 4. Why? Can we never see a healthy woman that is more in line with the body type of a typical MFP user? I'm pretty sure none of the models featured ever used MFP or faced the struggles that we are trying to overcome. These photos do the opposite of inspiring/ motivating me. They depress me and kind of make me want to give up. No matter how much success I achieve, I can never look like these women. If MFP suggests these reflect how users should look, then I'm in the wrong place. :-(

Replies

• 123stefania
    123stefania Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I know I feel the same way. It DOESNT reflect the average user, ''they'' try to sell a image of healthy. Dont let that discourage you. I love to read success stories in the 'community board' and messages from the support and motivation too. Make goal that are suited for YOU!
  • julie2038
    julie2038 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Don't let an article and picture derail you. You have to do this for you. Even if I lose all the weight I want, I will never be a model. That was not what I was meant to do. This mental shift in my weight loss journey is huge. I'm doing this for me! To feel good about me! You need this for you. To feel better about you.
  • novasunflower
    novasunflower Posts: 29 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    :D
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Yeah, but that's with any form of advertisement, isn't it? Almost everything uses generic stock photos so generally any photo you see for ANYTHING will be of an attractive and fit man or woman. It's just marketing. Don't worry about it. Do this for you. Trust me, I'm a middle aged woman too and I'm never going to be in the genetic 1% either, but that's not going to stop me from being the best that I can be.
  • BestWishesForYou
    Options
    But photos have everything to do with it. Why should MFP pair a motivational article with a photo that I have to ignore in order not to be "derailed?"
  • BestWishesForYou
    Options
    Novasunflower, I'm not sure how I should interpret your response.
  • BestWishesForYou
    Options
    I'd like to show you examples, but I can't figure out how to enable photos in the app.
  • BestWishesForYou
    Options
    I understand the argument for advertisements. These are not advertisements. These are MFP's deliberate choices to accompany motivation articles. I really think they need to rethink this in their editorial policies. I would send a post directly to them but I could not find an appropriate place.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    @Arbeej I agree there should be a wider variety of people featured but I disagree that just because someone is thin they don't struggle or work hard. "Naturally thin" really doesn't exist much. Most people you see who are thin, especially models, work their butts off just as much as overweight people to maintain that weight. I get accused of being lucky and naturally thin when in fact I count calories, don't overeat, am very active and work hard at the gym.
  • BestWishesForYou
    Options
    Take a look at the plug from February 15, 2016. It's a great article. And the opening paragraph clearly shows that the target is someone like me: it mentions grandchildren and the joy of fitting into an old dress. Take a look at the featured photograph. She's a very young, highly muscled athlete stretching before a run.

A featured photo is what draws us into an article. It's supposed to reflect how an article applies to us, why we should read it. The featured photo is an invitation. These photos suggest I'm not worthy of being invited.
  • BestWishesForYou
    Options
    Singingflutelady, I don't mean to imply that athletes don't struggle. The strength and determination it takes to achieve these muscled bodies is beyond my greatest capabilities. I merely mean that an athlete's struggles are different from the struggles of MFP users who are similar to me.
  • Wysewoman53
    Wysewoman53 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I was born with the genetics of having 'curves'. I have hips, a waistline and breasts. When I was young, Twiggy was all the rage...for those who don't know who Twiggy is, just Google her...so I always felt out of place and never 'skinny' enough no matter which current fad diet I was on. I struggled with my weight and 'look' my entire life and it affected my whole self esteem for more years than I like to count. No matter how little I weighed at different times, it was never good enough. Before I started MFP, I was in the obese range...still am but much closer to a healthier weight now thanks to MFP...and I had pretty much just given up since I was a 62 yr old grandmother and my husband loves me no matter what. Grandmothers are supposed to be 'fluffy and soft', right? One morning, after I had visited the emergency room with a dislocated shoulder, something just clicked! What I was doing to my body simply was not healthy and as with everything we do, what I was doing to myself was a choice! I don't look at pictures of models anymore and when I see skinny, fit celebrities, I know they are that way because they have full-time trainers and chefs to help them look the way they do. Anybody could look the way models and celebs do if given the same opportunities and had the same genetics. Now, I am doing what I do for me for the first time in my life! Not for my husband, not for my children, not for my grandchildren...only myself. I still struggle with the 'way I look' but I am fitting into smaller clothes now, feel better about what I have accomplished and keep working towards my personal goals...not what someone else has decided is the 'perfect look' for me. If the pictures of models in the motivational articles are creating doubt for you, then how 'motivational' can they be?
  • BestWishesForYou
    Options
    Wysewoman53, you are a wise woman indeed. :-)
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Okay I went back and looked at the article you mentioned on 2/15.

The very first line of that article starts with this sentence: "Think about what triggered your weight-loss journey."

So clearly this was not necessarily GEARED towards us middle aged ladies. It's for ANYONE. You might also argue that a photo of a young woman is not an appropriate photo for any guy who might be reading the article, but that's not necessarily the case because the very first sentence is the target audience - anyone who is on a weight loss journey.

You sound like you're kind of taking this stuff a little personally and I wonder why. The photo is not meant to exclude you or anyone, for that matter.

• Wysewoman53
    Wysewoman53 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    :)
  • ldashburn
    ldashburn Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Before it was bought by Under Armour, MFP was all about the average person/user. Since the buyout, it seems to be just a giant advertising engine for them to pitch their products and their "professional" opinions. Of course they can't pitch there stuff if the models don't represent their idea of fitness and beauty.
  • abelcat1
    abelcat1 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Ohh waow HappyCampr1. Very nice result.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    So looking at fit people depresses you? Nice.
  • BestWishesForYou
    Options
    Happycampr1, now THAT is truly inspiring! Congrats on your hard work paying off in spades!!!
  • BestWishesForYou
    Options
    Idashburn, that explains it. I'm sure you are right about that.