Any Vegans willing to Share their journal?

Hi- I'm a vegan woman that has been logging regularly for 4 weeks now. I am looking to maybe see some other vegan food journals to help me get a little more creative with my diet food. I doing a 12 week fitness challenge at a local cross fit gym and the recommended protein they gave me was 165g. I only am logging about 90-100g and feel this is quite sufficient however I am eating way more processed vegan meat products than I would normally. Hoping to see some journals that show high protein counts that are coming from whole non processed foods that don't go over the 1500-1700 calorie range I am aiming for.

I am Currently 5'5" 178lbs. I am down 4 lbs and 7 inches and 2% body fat since my initial weigh in 4 weeks ago.

Thanks!

Replies

• vegangela_
    vegangela_ Posts: 154 Member
    I've just started logging again after a few months off. You're welcome to add me, my diary is open to friends. I don't eat that much protein though.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Vegan here! I do the .65g protein per 1kg lean body mass though. Have you tried upping your carb count for the crossfit instead?
  • warnickrosemary
    warnickrosemary Posts: 3 Member
    Vegan here! I do the .65g protein per 1kg lean body mass though. Have you tried upping your carb count for the crossfit instead?

My macro goals are to eat 50% carbs, 20 % protein and 30% fat I have been doing pretty well staying on target with these goals but will sometimes will have less carbs and more protein. 50% carbs is 189g according to my target calorie range. My goal is to reach 160 lbs.
  • FionaAnne22
    FionaAnne22 Posts: 176 Member
    Feel free to add me too, I log every day, have been vegan for coming up four months. However, I also do not eat anywhere near that amount of protein.
  • warnickrosemary
    warnickrosemary Posts: 3 Member
    Feel free to add me too, I log every day, have been vegan for coming up four months. However, I also do not eat anywhere near that amount of protein.

I have been vegan now for about 8 years and been vegetarian for about 16 years. I don't typically eat more than 60 g of protein when I not on such an intense work out regime. I'm just feeling a little bit like I am in a rut and need to come up with some different varieties of "diet food".
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    That's an extremely high amount of protein. Studies show we really don't need that much protein to build muscle. Carbs actually help us build muscle! Excess protein just clogs up the kidneys. Plant based protein is much healthier, but mainly if it's unprocessed. Like lentils, beans, greens and fruit- all plants have some protein - just the amount we need :) Check out this article- one of many! https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2007nl/apr/070400.pdf

I haven't been logging much lately but I plan to start again! So feel free to add me :)
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    My macro goals are to eat 50% carbs, 20 % protein and 30% fat I have been doing pretty well staying on target with these goals but will sometimes will have less carbs and more protein. 50% carbs is 189g according to my target calorie range. My goal is to reach 160 lbs.

Your carb count sounds pretty good!
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    You can look at mine if you want my protein isn't that high tho.
  • Hreut001
    Hreut001 Posts: 28 Member
    My diary is open :) I follow a high carb low fat vegan diet though, feel free to add me xx
  • chardhead
    chardhead Posts: 4 Member
    This is a purely unprofessional and informally educated response ;p but from my reading, I'm wondering if your calorie goal is too low? If you're eating a plant based diet full of whole foods, why calorie restrictions? (based on what I've read, I'm not an expert lol) like, a handful of almonds is not the same as a soda. Almonds turn into fuel, soda turns into fat. I've read a lot of stuff about people going vegan and not really understanding the nutritional differences from the SAD diet. Like people eating only salad, then blaming their sickness on veganism when they just had no idea what they were doing. http://nutritionfacts.org/video/eating-more-to-weigh-less Interesting video c:
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    You can look at mine:)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    chardhead wrote: »
    This is a purely unprofessional and informally educated response ;p but from my reading, I'm wondering if your calorie goal is too low? If you're eating a plant based diet full of whole foods, why calorie restrictions? (based on what I've read, I'm not an expert lol) like, a handful of almonds is not the same as a soda. Almonds turn into fuel, soda turns into fat. I've read a lot of stuff about people going vegan and not really understanding the nutritional differences from the SAD diet. Like people eating only salad, then blaming their sickness on veganism when they just had no idea what they were doing. http://nutritionfacts.org/video/eating-more-to-weigh-less Interesting video c:

Any food -- including plant-based foods -- will turn into fat if you consume more calories than you burn. Fat is simply stored fuel for the body.

When you eat more than you burn, your body doesn't have one way to deal with plant-based whole foods and another way to deal with all the other types of foods.

If people eating a whole foods plant-based diet want to lose weight, they'll need to consume fewer calories than they burn -- just like people eating any other type of diet.
  • buzz28camaro
    buzz28camaro Posts: 49 Member
    I've been vegan about 2.5 years and have an open diary to friends. Any one feel free to add me :smiley:
  • antonia_yes
    antonia_yes Posts: 70 Member
    Hey, I am mostly vegan and also a new cross-fitter! I haven't been logging for a couple of weeks, I am trying to work out my diet at the moment as I am losing inches but not weight at the moment but you're welcome to add if you want :)
  • emmajaneway
    emmajaneway Posts: 5 Member
    Hi, I just went vegetarian 4 months ago, trying to go vegan...it's a work in progress - still learning. (Also, don't hate me...I've cheated a few times & had a little fish) but working on it! :smile: You can add me, I occasionally have good days, lol :wink:
  • Naley2322
    Naley2322 Posts: 181 Member
    Hi, I just went vegetarian 4 months ago, trying to go vegan...it's a work in progress - still learning. (Also, don't hate me...I've cheated a few times & had a little fish) but working on it! :smile: You can add me, I occasionally have good days, lol :wink:

Please don't call yourself a vegetarian if you cheat because if we are totally honest you are not one then. Just be honest and say you are trying to be a vegetarian but are still eating seafood. Things like this are the reason animal welfare will not get better.

As a life long strict - real vegetarian and several year vegan I constantly get asked "but you sometimes eat meat, right?" because people are always calling themselves vegetarians but they still "cheat" and eat meat.
  • FitnessPrincess9
    FitnessPrincess9 Posts: 27 Member
    I just started logging yesterday, but I suggest eating lots of veggies, things like broccoli actually have more protein than a serving of meat, beans and nuts are also good for protein. I don't really worry about protein, since there is no such thing as a proton deficiency.
  • aadtamhankar
    aadtamhankar Posts: 17 Member
    sndarling9 wrote: »
    I just started logging yesterday, but I suggest eating lots of veggies, things like broccoli actually have more protein than a serving of meat, beans and nuts are also good for protein. I don't really worry about protein, since there is no such thing as a proton deficiency.

Protein deficiency is a sad, sad thing. Entire hippie vegan towns are perishing because of it... Truly a tragedy.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited March 2016
    sndarling9 wrote: »

When you say that broccoli has more protein than a serving of meat, what do you mean? Do you mean a serving of broccoli has more protein than a serving of meat? That wouldn't be accurate.

Also, protein deficiency is real. It's rare outside of starvation situations, but it's real. What is of more concern to vegans is not getting enough protein to maintain muscles (especially when reducing calories) or to feel your best.
  • Ang803
    Ang803 Posts: 14 Member
    Hi, 9 year vegetarian, recently vegan. Open diary if anyone would like to add me.