Wheat bread

Options
Does it make a big difference switching from white bread to 100% whole wheat??

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Calorie wise? No
  • guinevere96
    guinevere96 Posts: 1,445 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    supposedly whole wheat has more nutritional value, but keyword is supposedly because I don't want the nutritional debate people to come yell at me :p calorie wise I don't believe there is a large difference.
  • queenliz99
    Options
    I loooove sour dough, whole wheat is good but sour dough. Yum
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    No. There is no significant difference in the nutrition between the two. I used to bake bread. Essentially, bread is bread. Enjoy what you like. :)
  • Breannarosebrooks
    Breannarosebrooks Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thank you. My dad always made it seem like it is better to eat wheat bread if ur trying to lose weight. I like white
  • queenliz99
    Options
    It's about the calories
  • Breannarosebrooks
    Breannarosebrooks Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Ok thnks :)
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    There might be some minor macronutrient and micronutrient differences (fibre and iron for example, based on quick glance at some labels), you can make that up elsewhere. I don't mind either for bread, but homemade is the best! :smile:
  • lisaloolovesblue
    lisaloolovesblue Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Yes, there is a huge difference. First of all, you should try to make at least half of your grains whole grains. Switching to wheat bread is a really great way to do that. I'll explain why it's important.

When refining a grain (as they do to make white bread) they remove part of the grain. This part contains fiber and other nutrients.

White bread breaks down very quickly, meaning it converts into sugar quickly, and spikes your blood sugar. This causes insulin to be released, which will lower your blood sugar. This is the sugar crash that you might experience with any other food with a high glycemic index. (Glycemic index is how quickly the food turns to sugar). When your blood sugars drop, you start to want more sugar, so you get hungry. White bread doesn't do you much good.

On the other hand, whole grain bread has more complex carbohydrates and fiber, which take longer to break down. You're getting smaller amounts of sugar throughout the day, so your blood sugar doesn't spike and crash, and you will be fuller longer.

So, calorie-wise, there's not a huge difference. But nutrition is about so much more than calories. If you want to make life a little bit easier for yourself, treat your body right and give it the whole grains.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    Yes, there is a huge difference. First of all, you should try to make at least half of your grains whole grains. Switching to wheat bread is a really great way to do that. I'll explain why it's important.

When refining a grain (as they do to make white bread) they remove part of the grain. This part contains fiber and other nutrients.

White bread breaks down very quickly, meaning it converts into sugar quickly, and spikes your blood sugar. This causes insulin to be released, which will lower your blood sugar. This is the sugar crash that you might experience with any other food with a high glycemic index. (Glycemic index is how quickly the food turns to sugar). When your blood sugars drop, you start to want more sugar, so you get hungry. White bread doesn't do you much good.

On the other hand, whole grain bread has more complex carbohydrates and fiber, which take longer to break down. You're getting smaller amounts of sugar throughout the day, so your blood sugar doesn't spike and crash, and you will be fuller longer.

So, calorie-wise, there's not a huge difference. But nutrition is about so much more than calories. If you want to make life a little bit easier for yourself, treat your body right and give it the whole grains.

not all "whole wheat" is whole grain.
  • FitEqualsSmile
    FitEqualsSmile Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Try Ezeckel Bread. It would be in the natural freezer section. It is awesome and has the added benefit of protein
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

The GI difference between white and whole wheat isn't that great, and this is especially so because people generally don't eat just bread but eat it with other foods (which will typically reduce GI -- like meat or cheese or butter or peanut butter).

I personally prefer whole wheat (and don't care about bread anyway, so don't eat much), and whole wheat has a few more nutrients and more fiber, but if you have a diet that provides those anyway worrying about whole wheat vs. white in bread or pasta may not be a big deal. (And it depends on how much you eat.)

For example whole wheat pasta in a carbonara, no vegetables, is likely to be a less nutritious choice (although it can still be tasty and fit in a day) than a white pasta with shrimp and lots of vegetables.

Also, the focus on GI and blood sugar isn't significant for most people, and there have been found to be individual differences in terms of the effects the foods have. Rather than making academic distinctions it makes more sense to see if you are getting too hungry too quickly after eating and then make changes.
  • clutchitalian
    clutchitalian Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    huge difference...cut out any white flour and sugars and youll strip fat easily....
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Fiber FTW. Whole wheat (and not just 'wheat') is more filling.
  • guinevere96
    guinevere96 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Options
    I can definitely see why people get confused because theres so many different conflicting opinions.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Fiber FTW. Whole wheat (and not just 'wheat') is more filling.

This
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    huge difference...cut out any white flour and sugars and youll strip fat easily....

Nope. I cut out all white products and ate only whole grains 90% of the time and still packed on the pounds. Weight loss is calories in/out. Not what those calories are made of, with the exception of medical differences in your body, and products with alcohol.

I ate homemade white bread for the first time in years this past week. Quite a few slices in my calorie allotment over a few days. Previously I'd only exposed myself to white bread when eating out. I removed daily Lite beers(s). I lost weight almost 2 lbs after having been stalled for weeks. Removing alcohol was the key, adding white bread made me a bit gassy and of course I didn't feel as full but in no way was it a factor inhibiting fat loss.
  • clutchitalian
    clutchitalian Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    ya alcohol is a killer thats my only vice......i lost 25lbs in 6 weeks with low carb diet...under 50mg per day it forces ur body to burn fat............
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    ya alcohol is a killer thats my only vice......i lost 25lbs in 6 weeks with low carb diet...under 50mg per day it forces ur body to burn fat............

A calorie deficit forces your body to burn fat.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The calories are about the same. You can look that up so you aren't just relying on Internet opinion.

The national food guide encourages us to eat whole grains more often but you can do that other ways. Like having buckwheat as a side.