Replies

• clutchitalian
    clutchitalian Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    whole grains are the best i cant remember the last time i ate white bread
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    huge difference...cut out any white flour and sugars and youll strip fat easily....

Not if you're in a caloric surplus you won't. White flour and sugars don't cause weight gain or prevent weight loss, that's entirely false.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I can definitely see why people get confused because theres so many different conflicting opinions.

That's because many people know nothing about basic nutrition and/or physiology and believe all the woo they read instead.

The correct answer to the OP is that, if calories are kept equivalent, there will be absolutely no difference (in terms of weight loss) in switching from white to whole wheat bread. None. Zero. Nada. Zilch. Zip.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Other than it that it tastes better (to me personally), there isn't much difference. Just eat the kind you like. Even nutritionally the difference is not substantial enough to make the switch if you prefer white. Whole wheat has 1 gram of fiber and protein more than white bread per 1 oz slice. You can easily make up for that loss and more by snacking on a small vegetable.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    I can definitely see why people get confused because theres so many different conflicting opinions.

That's because many people know nothing about basic nutrition and/or physiology and believe all the woo they read instead.

The correct answer to the OP is that, if calories are kept equivalent, there will be absolutely no difference (in terms of weight loss) in switching from white to whole wheat bread. None. Zero. Nada. Zilch. Zip.

In term of weight loss, definitely. But bread with fiber is more filling.
    Other than it that it tastes better (to me personally), there isn't much difference. Just eat the kind you like. Even nutritionally the difference is not substantial enough to make the switch if you prefer white. Whole wheat has 1 gram of fiber and protein more than white bread per 1 oz slice. You can easily make up for that loss and more by snacking on a small vegetable.

Depends. The whole wheat bread I used to eat had like 3 to 5g of fiber. It DID make a difference and was more filling.

In the end though, for most people, it won't make a huge difference either way, and whole wheat bread often has more calories too.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Depends. The whole wheat bread I used to eat had like 3 to 5g of fiber. It DID make a difference and was more filling.

In the end though, for most people, it won't make a huge difference either way, and whole wheat bread often has more calories too.

I agree. I think one can't really say "wheat" bread and "white" bread with any meaning. There are so many breads on the market. Mine have short ingredient lists, a better nutritional profile and quite a bit more fiber. It's 100% whole wheat.

Is bread a make or break? No. Can I have white bread and nosh on some veggies? Sure. Or I can have wheat bread AND the veggies.

Every little positive change adds up.
  • amusedmonkey
    Options

I agree. I think one can't really say "wheat" bread and "white" bread with any meaning. There are so many breads on the market. Mine have short ingredient lists, a better nutritional profile and quite a bit more fiber. It's 100% whole wheat.

Is bread a make or break? No. Can I have white bread and nosh on some veggies? Sure. Or I can have wheat bread AND the veggies.

I guess I was going by my personal experience. Both of my white and whole wheat bread are made of the same ingredients: flour (whole wheat flour in case of wheat bread), water, yeast, salt and just enough sugar to activate the yeast. That's about it. So they aren't much different in terms of nutrition apart from that single gram of fiber and protein. More fiber is not important to me because due to my preferences I routinely get 40+ grams on a low day.

I guess for people who eat a lot of bread and not enough fiber this could make a difference. In this case, a true bran bread is even better. Some brands make high fiber white bread too. It wouldn't be a whole vs white issue anymore, it would be more of a brand issue at this point.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I guess I was going by my personal experience. Both of my white and whole wheat bread are made of the same ingredients: flour (whole wheat flour in case of wheat bread), water, yeast, salt and just enough sugar to activate the yeast. That's about it. So they aren't much different in terms of nutrition apart from that single gram of fiber and protein. More fiber is not important to me because due to my preferences I routinely get 40+ grams on a low day.

I guess for people who eat a lot of bread and not enough fiber this could make a difference. In this case, a true bran bread is even better. Some brands make high fiber white bread too. It wouldn't be a whole vs white issue anymore, it would be more of a brand issue at this point.

Yeah, I'm 100% with you. I don't eat much bread, though, and tend to like whole grain better anyway. I agree with Sabine that simply making better choices is a good step, so choosing whole grain or baking at home would both be positive steps.

I grew up with whole grain (store bought) and didn't like store bought bread, but do like home made bread and both white and whole grain home made options. I also don't eat much bread so for me this discussion is more about pasta (I do whole grain at home but the fiber difference is minimal and don't care at a restaurant).
  • jcow84
    jcow84 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Both the whole grain and white bread available at our local grocery store are often made with a lot of processed ingredients which don't sound that appealing. I also noticed some breads have colouring, corn syrup, and other unhealthy ingredients. Personally, I'd be more concerned with the ingredients list than the nutrients list for bread.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Nothing like a good piece of freshly baked Italian scali bread with sesame seeds! I don't eat much bread but when I do it has to be phenomenal in texture and taste, I don't care if it's white, wheat, pumpernickel... I am about calories in / calories out vs. nutritional value when it comes to bread. It depends on what your goals are. If you're trying to eat clean I'd just pay attention to labels and avoid bread with a lot of processing and additives. Or read "wheat belly" and avoid grains entirely. If you're just trying to lose weight first, eat what you like and stick to a lower calorie choice.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Home made?
    Yeah, our home made breads aren't all that different.
    Store bought breads can be very very different with respect to nutrients, ingredients, and fiber.

• amyhoss
    amyhoss Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Try Ezeckel Bread. It would be in the natural freezer section. It is awesome and has the added benefit of protein

I can't stand that stuff. I don't know how it can even be considered bread.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    amyhoss wrote: »
    Try Ezeckel Bread. It would be in the natural freezer section. It is awesome and has the added benefit of protein

I can't stand that stuff. I don't know how it can even be considered bread.

Ironically, its taste and texture are closer to traditional bread than most of what's found on grocery stores.
  • TheLittleRedHairedGirl
    Options

Ezekiel bread is so good for you. I usually have a slice in the afternoon. Toasted with a tablespoon of almond butter and some sugar free strawberry jam... SO good!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Ezekiel bread is so good for you. I usually have a slice in the afternoon. Toasted with a tablespoon of almond butter and some sugar free strawberry jam... SO good!

YUM
  • lemurcat12
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Nothing like a good piece of freshly baked Italian scali bread with sesame seeds! I don't eat much bread but when I do it has to be phenomenal in texture and taste, I don't care if it's white, wheat, pumpernickel... I am about calories in / calories out vs. nutritional value when it comes to bread.

Yep. I'm really picky about bread, so I don't eat it unless it's really good, and then I don't care if it's whole wheat or white. (I often prefer whole grain and will make whole grain if I bake it, but my main bread weakness is naan, which is typically white.)
  • lemurcat12
    Options

Home made?
    Store bought breads can be very very different with respect to nutrients, ingredients, and fiber.

My weirdo picky things as a kid (in addition to hating cold cereal) was that I would not eat store-bought/supermarket bread. That's why I learned to bake, initially.
  • amusedmonkey
    Options

Home made?

Well, not exactly home made but pretty close. Where I live traditional bread bakeries are still common where you see the bread being made right in front of you in the back of the room and select whichever bread you want from a freshly made still hot batch that you watched coming out of oven. They only operate in the morning up until noon and only stay open until they sell out for the day, so they don't really need preservatives for storage.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    ya alcohol is a killer thats my only vice......i lost 25lbs in 6 weeks with low carb diet...under 50mg per day it forces ur body to burn fat............

Strangely I've lost 30 lbs while still eating bread AND drinking alcohol. Being in a calorie deficit forces your body to lose fat. Going low carb is just one way to achieve the calorie deficit.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    tumblr_loxrhxYsmL1ql6teq.gif