March 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• ceckhardt369
    ceckhardt369 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    @Stoshew71 And @_nikkiwolf_ Congrats!

@Elise4270 Sorry to hear about your son. Loved ones on drugs is never easy to deal with.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ great race report. I love the sneaker light.

@Stoshew71 super race today! Congrats on placing.

@Elise4270 hugs I'm sorry to hear about your son

My Garmin doesn't want to sync with Strava I'll need to keep working on it.

• AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Guys what do you think of raisins as nutrition during long runs? I don't want to buy gels just for training. I am starting to run on empty after around 1 hour and 15 minutes or so.Also I've been reading about electrolytes and I noticed after an hour or so I start getting salty. I don't want to buy Gatorade for long run either. Any alternatives? Apparently water isn't enough this days. Also how do you carry water?
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    So I guess Strava is gonna make me (more than other places I'm connected to) do maths. I'm too old to keep remembering conversion from km to miles for the Challenges. :smiley:
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    I got 3rd in my age group today.
    Grats!
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    9voice9 wrote: »
    So I guess Strava is gonna make me (more than other places I'm connected to) do maths. I'm too old to keep remembering conversion from km to miles for the Challenges. :smiley:

Haha only distances I know are the important ones

5k = 3.1 miles
    10k = 6.2 miles
    Half Marathon 21k = 13.1 miles
    Marathon 42k = 26.2 miles
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @Stoshew71 - I saw your 8K on Strava. You sure had a fast first mile! Good job hanging on and taking 3rd in a more competitive age group than I have to deal with.

@_nikkiwolf_ - You could always put the light in your trophy case after the battery dies, assuming it's impractical to replace the battery. Then again, if it's a good light it may well be worth replacing batteries. I'm beginning to really like the fact that I got some pint glasses as bling; I don't do beer, but a pint glass is a good water glass that's working out well for me at breakfast time.

• KWKirkbride
    KWKirkbride Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Great job @Stoshew71 and @_nikkiwolf_

I'm enjoying seeing all your runs pop up in my strava feed. You people posting big miles are going to inspire me to move past these 5 milers. Must have patience though, still only three months into this running addiction. Keep up the great work, people.

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    I RAN MY FIRST EVER 10K TODAY!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

• ccnagain
    ccnagain Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this is where I post this or not.
    My goal for March will be to run 3 miles per week so starting this week that would be 12 miles for the month. I haven't ran much lately and I know that isn't a big goal but everyone has to start somewhere right. I just started weight lifting last week so I don't want to go big and then not be able to do it and feel like I failed. Last year I got up to running 4-5 miles 3x a week and then after about 5 months I got bored because I couldn't get past 6 miles no matter what I did and just gave up and quit all together, but I loved running and miss it now.
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ Congrats even if it wasn't a PR. Nice shirt. Way to represent. I wore mine today too.
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for March
    3/1 7.25 miles - 7.25
    3/2 4 miles - 11.25
    3/3 9 miles - 20.25
    3/4 3.5 miles - 23.75
    3/5 6.2 miles - 29.95
    3/6 2 miles - 31.95 << race warm-up
    3/6 5 miles - 36.95 << 8K race

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH Spring Road Race 8K - 3/6
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler - 6/25

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Guys what do you think of raisins as nutrition during long runs? I don't want to buy gels just for training. I am starting to run on empty after around 1 hour and 15 minutes or so.Also I've been reading about electrolytes and I noticed after an hour or so I start getting salty. I don't want to buy Gatorade for long run either. Any alternatives? Apparently water isn't enough this days. Also how do you carry water?

@AdrianChr92 Raisins would be alright, but you'd have to eat a lot of them to get enough calories to make a difference. I'd go for larger fruits (dried pineapple, dates, apricots) or just buy gels/chews. If you are going to use any gels/chews/food in a race in the future, you'll want to start trying them out during training anyway.

As for water, I've been adding nuun tablets to mine; I buy tubes of it at my local running store. You can also buy it online (pricey though) or at some grocery stores. It has sodium in it (350-360 mg per tab) and you just put it in water. As for carrying said water, I use either a 10 oz Nathan handheld or an 18 oz one, depending on distance and heat. I carry them in races too to avoid water stops and to carry gels and dried fruit because you can only fit so many in a pocket.
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    Went to do a nice easy 5k as a recovery run after yesterday's 6 mile....

...and ended up setting a new 5k PR! 27:55

Awesome. Congratulations!

• CChen8520
    CChen8520 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    3/6 2.5miles
    exercise.png
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    3/6 - 6.5 miles

I'll update totals later.

Went to the greenway and it was packed. People need to stop walking 5 wide, make room for others. I finally ran up into Research Park office complex to run and no @stoshew71 I didn't get lost ha ha. Beautiful day!

Yeah. We started at 7 am and was done within an hour. It was a short run since I had a race today.

• ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options

I use a camelbak for my water. I used to use a water belt, but it sometimes upset my digestive system (weight and bouncing water on the abdomen is not ideal for me). The camelbak also lets me carry my keys, phone, body glide, etc. And I added a pouch to the front strap to carry my food, which in my case is Gatorade chews.
  • pacificnorthwitch
    pacificnorthwitch Posts: 14 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Today was my cross training day, but I still did a mile warm up so I'm counting it c:

10/25 miles for March! Hope everyone had a great weekend and is ready for Monday!
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    I had to post this pic from today since it showed off the shirt so eloquently.

p9zn1lz1yvuy.jpg
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ @Stoshew71 Loving the shirts! And @shilshilshil Congratulations on your runs today!