March 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    @Stoshew71 How do I upload pictures onto Strava? I've been over and over the pages but can't find out where to do it or how. I am faceless on there!!
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    @Virkati You can do it only from the phone app. You can't from the web site. Weird I know
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    @kristinegift I was exporting from Nike+ and Runkeeper, so I exported the .gpx files and then uploaded them into Strava. Can you do that on Garmin?
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I also just signed up for Strava. Where were you importing from? If Garmin: was it a huge pain in the butt or is there an easy trick to it?

As I recall, if you connect the two accounts, they auto-sync

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/08/automatic-mapmyfitness-endomondo.html

ETA: More stuff: https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/articles/216918077-Strava-Garmin-Connect-Common-Questions-Issues

• 7lenny7
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Virkati wrote: »
    @Stoshew71 How do I upload pictures onto Strava? I've been over and over the pages but can't find out where to do it or how. I am faceless on there!!

@Virkati, as I recall, you can only upload photos (other than the profile picture) when they are associated with a run.

ETA: But I could be wrong: https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/articles/216919197-Photos-on-Strava-Android

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Virkati wrote: »

You add pictures to your individual workouts and they automatically post to your profile.

• Stoshew71
    Options
    I'm on Strava now, just spent my evening exporting most of my running data across from other apps so it's all on there. I'm glad I have it all in one place now :) I requested to join the group, hope that's OK.

I also just signed up for Strava. Where were you importing from? If Garmin: was it a huge pain in the butt or is there an easy trick to it?

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#safe=off&q=import+workouts+garmin+connect+to+strava

And to automatically synch Garmin to strava....

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/08/automatic-mapmyfitness-endomondo.html

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 and @Stoshew71 I used that DC Rainmaker post, but it didn't sync! Maybe it's because it was a manual entry from the app and not a watch-synced activity? I figure I'll give it until after my run tonight to work after I blue tooth sync my watch to the app after my group run. But I'll want to go back more than 30 days to get at least all 2016's data in there. I sense much data downloading/uploading will be in my future....
  • 7lenny7
    Options
    I wish I could remember what I had to manually enter when I signed up with Strava. I think you're right, I think it does ignore manual Garmin entries and I had to go enter those in myself, which was about 2 months worth for me.
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Question about Strava.. @Stoshew71 Stan, thanks for the add into the MFP monthly challenge group - but not sure how to view the leaderboard etc on strava? :lol: Under groups, is it MyFitnessPal Group (from Long Distance Runner Forum) ? Not sure if that's the right group.. Nothing else seems to be coming up under groups, that's all

I found out how to look up the group on the computer but it won't come up anywhere on the phone app?
  • 07KatieP13
    07KatieP13 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    @Stoshew71 I've already got a strava but I'm having trouble joining your group. I think I'm following you now, can you help me join? I love seeing other people's runs, I'm slow and I don't run far yet but I'm definitely inspired by all you guys :)
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    @7lenny7 and @Stoshew71 I used that DC Rainmaker post, but it didn't sync! Maybe it's because it was a manual entry from the app and not a watch-synced activity? I figure I'll give it until after my run tonight to work after I blue tooth sync my watch to the app after my group run. But I'll want to go back more than 30 days to get at least all 2016's data in there. I sense much data downloading/uploading will be in my future....

The synch will only work for future runs. Historical runs will need to be manually uploaded from GC to strava. But from now on, every future run should automatically synch to strava.

• Stoshew71
    Options
    @Stoshew71 I've already got a strava but I'm having trouble joining your group. I think I'm following you now, can you help me join? I love seeing other people's runs, I'm slow and I don't run far yet but I'm definitely inspired by all you guys :)

I just sent you an invite.
  • 07KatieP13
    07KatieP13 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    @Stoshew71 Thank you :) I don't think it's working properly because I'm on my mobile, I'll try tomorrow on my laptop.
  • Becky_44
    Becky_44 Posts: 227 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
  • pacificnorthwitch
    pacificnorthwitch Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    3 miles in today! So happy to be out in the sunshine, finally c:

6/25 miles down! Hope everyone has a great day! ❤
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    Question about Strava.. @Stoshew71 Stan, thanks for the add into the MFP monthly challenge group - but not sure how to view the leaderboard etc on strava? :lol: Under groups, is it MyFitnessPal Group (from Long Distance Runner Forum) ? Not sure if that's the right group.. Nothing else seems to be coming up under groups, that's all

I found out how to look up the group on the computer but it won't come up anywhere on the phone app?

Yeah, I can never get the phone app to work right with groups. I always have to go to a computer to view it.
    You may try opening strava in the web browser on your phone. I loaded Chrome on my Android S6 and it works great for strava.

• shilshilshil
    shilshilshil Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    03/02 - 3.1 miles
    03/03 - 3.1 miles (I'm incapable of running exactly 3 - I always figure I may as well get to 5k)

MTD: 6.2 / 40
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I read all seven pages that I had already missed after two days, and after that I was too tired to write anything. But I'm in again!

Many thanks @Stoshew71 for setting up the challenge. And now we have a Strava club as well, awesome!

My goal for this month will be 130km (with the option to bump it up to 140km, once I decided how/where I'll spend the easter holidays). I might not have posted here this month yet, but at least I already did some running!

1.3.16 -- strength train
    2.3.16 -- 15.2 km. Sort of spontaneous: while I was out on my run yesterday, I suddenly realised that I have an upcoming race on Sunday, so I can't do a long run there. I decided to make up for that by extending the run to a longish distance.
    3.3.16 -- 6.5km easy, broken up by some extra passes up a local hill

I should probably take it easy the rest of the week, in preparation for the race on Sunday. I wanted to have a recent 5k time for setting training paces, and only found a 4.57k race instead. It's close enough to a 5k that it should do the trick - but somehow, the missing 430m make it really, really hard for me to take it serious.
    I'm still debating trying to get a slot for a free vVO2max test on Saturday, but that's probably not the right preparation for a race the next day...

exercise.png

Not listing my races, because there are so few of them, it would look kinda said compared to some other lists in here :wink:
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @ all new Strava users: great to have more people to stalk follow over there!
    Regarding synching: If I remember right, I used https://tapiriik.com/ to synch between Garmin and Strava. It can also synch with runkeeper and endomondo and a few others - depending on where your runs are saved.

@rune1990 regarding the heart rate: I'm in the same range as you are now, even after running for a while. My longest run was two weeks ago, 2:45 hours, with an average heart rate of 165. A year ago, my average HR was usually around 175, so it did go down a bit - but not spectacularly so.
    I've seen HR training suggestions based on which a recovery run should be <100 bpm for me, and "endurance" runs below 130 - in all honesty, I don't see that happening, ever! On the other hand, my resting heart rate went from 70 to 55, so I suppose that my cardiovascular system did improve, I guess that's something...
    I'm just ignoring the HR monitor as I run and go by feel. There's too many different formulars out there anyway for determining your training zones! This calculator gives you training zones using different formulas. For me, the results are all over the place - yet another reason for me to rely on how I feel, but I assume there have to be lots of people for whom HR zones work a lot better, otherwise heart rrate monitors wouldn't be so popular.

@5BeautifulDays If I ever bought a treadmill, I'd try to get one where you can program intervals, or at least have a quick way to switch between speeds. I know these things exists - out of the seven 'mills at my gym, there is one that can do it. On all the others, doing something like 400m intervalls involves more time spent pushing the speed control buttons than actually running the intervals, which can get really annoying.

@Pandathon I just read you are running the Paris HM. That's this weekend, right? All the best!
    I've recently moved to France (barely, I can still see the swiss side of the border from my windows ^^), but so far I've only signed up for races in Switzerland for this year. I was looking at some French ones too, but each of them required a medical certificate, and so far I didn't feel like getting a doctors appointment for a piece of paper that tells me I'm fit enough to run.

@AdrianChr92 I've only donw two races last year, both of them alone. Didn't feel strange to me - sure, a lot of people were hanging out in groups and chatting with each other like they knew each other for years, but that didn't bother me too much. I brought a book for the time between bib pickup (both my races required you to do that 1+ hours before) and race start, during the race I was running, and after the race I wound up having nice chats with random other runners at the water/beer station and the bib return stands.

@ceciliaslater I second the "socks" theory. Every now and then I start getting blisters on the big toe; that's usually the case when the pair of running socks I'm wearing has been washed so often they are starting to be loose and wrinkly at the toes. In any case, new socks come a lot cheaper than new shoes, so it's worth a shot.

@kimlight2 I (try to) strech every day I run. But I always thought you do dynamic stretches before and static stretches after the run - I seem to remember I've read you shouldn't do static stretching before the exercise, but maybe that depends on the exact stretches you do...

@Virkati You can add pictures to your runs in Strava only using the app, not from the computer.
    The only exception is the profile picture: If you go to https://www.strava.com/settings/profile , there should by an option to add a profile pic right at the top of the "my profile" section.