March 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @christina423 That's a nice goal. Happy jogging
    @tlongraden just listen to your body and don't train through bad pains. Seems like a good time to do drills to work on form
    @brian_gunther I run really bad if I eat before a run. I need like 2-3 hours to be able to run properly. Breathing is easy. Just concentrate on taking big breaths and use your belly for the most part, not just your rib cage. Try to link breathing with your steps. Easy runs should be 3 steps inhale/3 steps exhale and you shouldn't think about it at all. Moderate and heavy runs (eg: tempo) are around 2/2. It gets easier fast though just keep at it.

I want to sign up for some races for the first time.

There is a color run in April I think I will go to that just to see how it is.
    There is also a half marathon in may with a 10k race at the same time. I'm thinking to join the hm but I'm not really sure what to do.

Also does it feel strange to go to these races alone?
  • KWKirkbride
    KWKirkbride Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    @Ch1psNQueso I followed you too. I noticed you use the same shoes as me :)

Thanks. Followed you back.

Bought these shoes late last year for running without taking into consideration fit for my running style. Luckily they seem to be in-tune with my body. Looking forward to getting 200 miles on them so I can go splurge on something new though.
  • KSR1212
    KSR1212 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Getting back into running plan on going 75 miles for the month of March. So far have run 4.5 Miles and walked 4.5 for a total of 9 miles. Plan to increase running miles and decrease walking as I get back into shape.
  • snha
    snha Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Good job and persistence everybody. I can't believe there are 9 pages of posts and i haven't even registered my challenge yet.

Well, I'm in for 60 miles this month since I am traveling heavily!
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    @Ch1psNQueso I followed you too. I noticed you use the same shoes as me :)

Thanks. Followed you back.

Bought these shoes late last year for running without taking into consideration fit for my running style. Luckily they seem to be in-tune with my body. Looking forward to getting 200 miles on them so I can go splurge on something new though.

Yes they are quite versatile seem to work well. No major blisters so far :))

I hope they last until june at least.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    4leighbee wrote: »
    Just thought I'd share that while scanning the thread, I saw your races and my brain said "Cadbury - there's a Cadbury race? OMG, where is that?" LOL.
    @4leighbee its not Cadbury but will Hershey's Half Marathon do. There probably is one for Cadbury in NA - Hobart, Tasmania Australia has a Cadbury HM. Mr Google just didn't show it.

Do you think someone who provide a grant for me to run a race in Australia? I could study the landscape ("ooooh, so prettttty"). :) I think I'll have to settle for the cheap, stale, off-brand, fund-raiser chocolate bar race.
  • MrsKGrady
    MrsKGrady Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I'm in again for 50 in March. :)
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Broke in the new Brooks Ghosts this morning. They felt fine.

I also tested the workout feature on the Garmin to alert me if I am above/below HR. I think it made the run harder actually, strange as that may seem. Had I gone over at a couple points the average HR would have still been in range but I would not have lost running efficiency from slowing down making the total effort a little easier. Or, I'm out of my mind. Scratch that, I know I'm out of my mind. But still, I think I'm right.

3/1 - 5 miles
    3/2 - 5 miles
    3/3 - 5 miles

15/150 Miles

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    4/9 - Rock the Parkway half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    4/16 - Garmin Wickedly Fast half marathon (Olathe, KS)
    4/23 - Race for Hope half marathon (North Kansas City, MO)
    5/1 - Buffalo Bell Stampede half marathon (Leavenworth, KS)
    5/14 - Running with the Cows half marathon (Bucyrus, KS)
    6/2 - Hospital Hill 5k 7pm PRE-RUN (Kansas City, MO)
    6/3 - Hospital Hill half marathon 7am RE-RUN (Kansas City, MO)
    10/15 - Kansas City Marathon 26.2 (Kansas City, MO)
    11/5 - Jenks half marathon (Jenks, OK)
    11/6 - Kansas half marathon (Lawrence, KS)
    11/12 - Longview half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    11/13 - Gobbler Grind half marathon (Overland Park, KS)
    11/19 - White River half marathon (Cotter, AR)
    11/20 - Pilgrim Pacer half marathon (Lenexa, KS)
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    3/1 - Swimming lessons.
    3/2 - 3.28 Treadmill. Winds for the day were averaging 30mph. Not running in that. Nope. Not me!

02/20 Snowman Stampede 10 mile race-cancelled due to injury
    04/24 Graffiti Run with grandkids - "Memaw's Mini Posse" is our team name!
    04/30 Greenland Trail Race...8 mile
    05/15 Colfax Marathon (Half)
    08/07 Tri for the Cure Sprint Triathlon
    09/05 Labor Day Mini Marathon (Half)
    10/16 Rock-n-Roll Denver Half

exercise.png
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for March
    3/1 7.25 miles - 7.25
    3/2 4 miles - 11.25
    3/3 9 miles - 20.25

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH Spring Road Race 8K - 3/6
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler - 6/25

• PlantBasedRnr
    PlantBasedRnr Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I'm not very good at remembering to post here but I did 7.25 last night so let me go ahead and log that while I'm thinking about it.
  • rune1990
    rune1990 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    4leighbee wrote: »
    Hi everyone - thanks for the lovely comments about my daughter. This afternoon was her first experience. The gym representative is "pretty nice-looking," nobody paid any attention to her - except him ;), and apparently on a certain machine, you can chase dragons. Really, do we need anything else? On the way to the car: "That was so much fun!!" She power-walked/ran a mile and tried some other things, including the punching bag with gloves. I could see her proud inner smile in the reflection of the windows at night from my treadmill. Of course, I grinned like a damn idiot.

I'm going to need to really start putting in more 4s, 5s, and 6s if I want to reach my goal. Speaking of 5 miles - I never seem to want to run 5 miles - I'd rather stop at 4 or go to 6. Strange idiosyncrasy.

OH wow, that's just so much awesome right there, i love it :) I'm grinning too! And I have three children, mostly grown, but I catch myself always buying groceries in quantities of three...

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Have to change my goal. New goal is 53 miles
  • jstafaz
    jstafaz Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Challenging incline run on the treadmill yesterday, not much distance but hopefully useful for conditioning.
    Coaching for Girls on the Run starts today with my 5th and 6th grade team; I'm hoping to log a couple of miles with them this afternoon.
    exercise.png[/quote]

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I am now following @Ch1psNQueso & @ceciliaslater I am following you 2 on strava now.

Question to all the folks with strava accounts (or interested in one).

There is already an mfp club on strava thanks to the Long Distance Runners Group
    https://www.strava.com/clubs/myfitnesspalclub

Question is, should I start our own club here for the monthly challenges on strava?

EDITED: If you already have Garmin Connect, it's very easy to have your garmin workouts automatically synch to strava. I just added a few of you on GC, but I am much more active on strava.
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    @Stoshew71 I like the idea of our own Monthly Running Challenges group on Strava.

I love the maps and some of the analytics (either on Strava or Garmin Connect), but as a solitary suburban runner, haven't leveraged the social capabilities to follow others ... this group is one I'd watch!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options

I want to sign up for some races for the first time.

Also does it feel strange to go to these races alone?

Nah, I don't think so. My husband runs the same races, but we've never run together. You can always chat up the few people around you to pace with. Theres usually a cheery atmosphere. That's why some of us post our races, so we can find each other, to run with.
  • KWKirkbride
    KWKirkbride Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    @Stoshew71 and Chris Baker, thanks for the folllow.

I like the idea of a monthly running challenge group on Strava. I enjoy popping in here to read through the banter but a nicely organized Strava group with loads of quality info would make it that much better.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @Stoshew71 I'm not opposed to the Strava group. Like @vandinem, I may need some time to figure it out.
  • tina75098
    tina75098 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've never participated in a running challenge..... AND ... I'm new to routine running so wish me luck!
    GOAL: 50 miles
    MTD: 8

PS-- I am looking for high energy and VOCAL friends to keep in touch on MFP and FitBit. It's awesome to have someone to cheer for and to be cheered for. Find me. :smile: