March 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• heavensambrosiaa
    heavensambrosiaa Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This sounds great and exactly what I need to hold myself accountable and stay motivated!

I would like to set my goal for 25 miles for the month 2-3x per week (6 miles/week +1 mile).

This will be my introduction to running for a healthier lifestyle. Onward & Upward :)
  • freakymistkd
    freakymistkd Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    March Goal 50km walking
    Today - Rest
    Total - 9km
    41km to go.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Erg ... ran one very unsuccessful mile this morning - will have to get my rhythm with Katie closeby. It's hard to reach that the-world-just-disappeared state when someone who relies on you for everything is in the room. It reminds me of my "relaxing" times at the beach. Even if I'm with my 20-year-old, I'm on high alert, lol ... Ah, the joys of parenthood. Not logging on the ticker yet ... will try again tonight.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Back for another attempt aiming for 60 miles again training plan calls for slightly more but I thought I'd give myself a bit of a margin. Got my first race this month as well rather excited less than 3 weeks to go!!

03/02 4.5 miles Legs took a while to warm up seriously thought of turning back home at mile 1 but persevered with it and turned into a really good run.

exercise.png

03/20 Canterbury Riverside 10k
    05/29 Edinburgh Half marathon

Just thought I'd share that while scanning the thread, I saw your races and my brain said "Cadbury - there's a Cadbury race? OMG, where is that?" LOL.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    3/1: Rest day
    3/2: 12 miles (am), 5 miles (pm)
    3/3: 7 miles speedwork (am)

I went for treadmill speedwork today. I did an outdoor tempo/neg split practice last week, so I thought it would be fun to do a strength ladder this week (plus, I didn't feel like dressing for a 21* morning because I'm lazy). I was surprised how strong I felt considering that I had a 17 mile day yesterday! I hit all my paces with relative ease (.25 5k pace, .5 10k pace, .75 HM pace, 1.5 miles marathon pace, then back down the ladder, with .25 recovery between each interval). I went into the fitness center telling myself it's okay to make it up the ladder, and then abandon ship if I had to. But I ended up doing the entire workout and felt amazing. I even felt so good that my last 5k interval I did for a half mile instead of a quarter!

The last time I did a 12 + 5 Wednesday followed by 7 + 6 Thursday (2 weeks ago), I was totally beat down and exhausted, which is why I had a cut back week last week and didn't do any 2-a-days. I think that cutback was a really smart choice. I feel totally fresh this week. I also think that doing the long midweek run in the morning rather than the afternoon allows for better recovery, so there will be many 5-5:30 am Wednesday mornings in my future (to my chagrin!).

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    3/12: Run O' The Mill 5K (Clinton, NJ)
    4/3: Caesar Rodney HM (Wilmington, DE)
    5/1: New Jersey Marathon (Lots of towns, NJ)

juliet3455 wrote: »

@kristinegift Looking for a job? I hear that @7lenny7 and @WhatMeRunning are looking for a Race Schedule Coordinator, maybe you can live in the boat(s).

@juliet3455 Haha, now THAT is a job I will take! Race shopping is a favorite procrastination hobby of mine :)
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    3/3 rest day....walked 25minutes at 15 min/mile Trying to get to 10 miles a week and build from there.....I'm at 6 miles running this week so far, so looks like my "long" run on Sat might be 4, using the Hal Higdon half marathon Novice 1 training plan for an outline and doing each week twice to ease up the mileage
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options

@4leighbee - I find 5 miles a bit awkward too, and that is currently the average easy run distance in my training plan. Prevously I did either 4 or 6 mile runs, each with no issues. With 5 miles I'm looking forward to quitting about 3 miles in, and while I make it the rest of the way I do not feel like I could just keep going when I reach 5 miles. On a 6 mile run I do not experience that 3 mile feeling and the last couple miles are just fine. I'm thinking it's just that it's an unfamiliar run distance to me. It's clearly mental, not physical.

@MNLittleFinn - Congrats! That sounds like a good plan.

@skippygirlsmom - Thanks for the shoe recommendation, I will check those out!

@Ch1psNQueso - I use Strava, will look you up.

@Elise4270 @kristinegift - A race coordinator is a great idea! I'm not sure I can afford the boat though after all of the races, shoes, Garmins.......wow.....I need to get a grip on spending!!!!:lol:
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    1-nothing yet
    2-yoga
    3-?

RACES:
    Jan 16-Frosty 5k-33:43:123 (gun time-don't have chip time)
    Feb 13-Steve Cullen Run 8k chip time: 53:37
    Feb 15 Puppy Love Virtual Run 10k runkeeper time: 1:13:20
    ?Mar 14-Great Pi Run?
    May 7-Door County Half Marathon
    ?Jun 11-Rock n Sole 5 or 8k? honeymoon might interfere
    June 19th through Sunday, July 10th SHE Power Virtual Half

exercise.png

• instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Unless of course...some MFP Running Challenge folks were interested...
    you get 10 others, and I'd be your last one

The relay in the FL Keys is a bucket list item of mine. I am totally in if you put a team together for that one! :smiley:
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    ddmom0811 wrote: »
    @5BeautifulDays - Sorry you are stuck at home. I don't know anything about treadmills, but I know when I run 5 miles my fitbit shows 10,000 steps. So it must be about 2000 steps per mile. If you have a fitbit or step tracker, if you run you could sort of estimate the count that way. I'm sure everyone gets different steps per mile, of course.
    But, on the other hand, you deserve to just get a fancy new treadmill!

A statement I can get behind! :)

Best of luck. I am definitely thinking of you. As far as a treadmill suggestion goes, I have nothing. I just use whatever my gym has. I don't currently have the space for a treadmill in my house. :frowning:

To carry over our February conversation, I don't give a crap about medals or shirts, either (though ones that give out things like beer or plants or duffel bags or running sweatshirts are kind of nice). I most certainly do not run races to win them! I do races for a couple reasons - one, I'm a very competitive person...with myself, anyway. I have always tried to outdo myself in a variety of things over the course of my little life. Races seem like a great format to push myself harder, faster, and farther and give me an "official" time to strive to beat for next time. On the same note, I schedule myself for races to keep myself motivated based on the fact that I do not want to embarrass myself on race day, so I'm motivated to train. Otherwise, I would most sit on my butt all day, every day, and I like food way too much to do afford to do that. :smile:

I hear you about the food! The best race swag are the muffins and bags of trailmix! :) I'm not really competitive with the running just because I've never been fast enough to be anywhere close to a contender. Based on my performance in pinochle or Monopoly, however, if I was ever a contender I'd be ridiculous-competitive, lol! I am eager to beat my own 5K time now. I have managed a sub-30 on the treadmill, but never on the street, so that's a goal I'm working toward.

I am 100% with you, there. If I were better than a middle-of-the-road runner, I'd totally be competitive! Right now, I'm only competing with myself. I also share your same goal for a 5K time. I've done it on my own, but never in a race. Hopefully, this year is my year! Last year was a wash due to my long-healing Spring hip injury.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Got almost through my training today. I think I gotta figure out my eating before/running fasted and work on my breathing...

exercise.png
  • jennayoung1109
    jennayoung1109 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Going for 45 this month
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Found an hour in the middle of a long day at work to get some miles in. Going to try and stick with 5 milers as my minimum distance as I try to ramp my monthly goals into the 100+ range.

Can some of you Strava users please add me on there (Kevin Kirkbride - 471266)? I need some people to follow, admire, motivate me, etc. Do we have any Strava groups I can join? Thanks in advance.

3-1: nothing
    3-2: 5 miles

I just followed you on Strava! I haven't been very active lately thanks to my busted leg, but I'm getting back in the groove. Plan on running 5 miles over lunch today.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    4leighbee wrote: »
    Just thought I'd share that while scanning the thread, I saw your races and my brain said "Cadbury - there's a Cadbury race? OMG, where is that?" LOL.
    @4leighbee its not Cadbury but will Hershey's Half Marathon do. There probably is one for Cadbury in NA - Hobart, Tasmania Australia has a Cadbury HM. Mr Google just didn't show it.
  • christina423
    christina423 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I am excited as well... my goal is to get back to jogging three days a week! So that would be around 7 miles a week, so about 28 monthly :)
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    *Edit* Never mind. (A bit of a ramble)... I emailed Garmin..
  • KWKirkbride
    KWKirkbride Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    @ceciliaslater Thanks. Followed back. Best wishes with the leg today.

@WhatMeRunning Please do and thanks.
  • tlongraden
    tlongraden Posts: 8 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'm going to join. My mileage is low - going to aim for 25 miles. Coming off a bad injury and need to start all over again with a mix of run/walking. I'm skeptical but excited to try again.

exercise.png
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @Ch1psNQueso I followed you too. I noticed you use the same shoes as me :)

Easy run today with a fast finish. Thought it was gonna rain. It's just cold enough for me not run in tshirt only and I hate it cause I don't have any synthetic hoodies, just cotton ones that after a while get drenched in sweat and life is suffering

.....Date.....Distance.......Pace......................................Random feel of the day
    March 01 - rest
    March 02 - 5 km............(4:42).........Stop bouncing like Bambi you idiot you gonna kill your knees
    March 03 - 7 km............(6:00)............................Bend at the ankles not the waist.

exercise.png
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    NEWBIE WELCOMES TO @heavensambrosiaa @jennayoung1109 (Least I can’t recall seeing you here before…) @tlongraden

@username301: If you do #1 then #3 will follow.

@whatang: Go get ‘em on the May half!

And some direct reaction:
    rjmqk3 wrote: »
    Upcoming races:
    *snip*
    4/23/16 Jiggle Butt Run 5k
    *snip*
    Dare I ask how that one got named?
    9voice9 wrote: »
    ...a race pace 5k and smashed my PR by a few minutes. Time 23:28. I know it's not really good but I'm getting there.
    WTH, man? <muttering> he says, "not really good"... I'd kill for a sub-30 5K race.... </muttering off>
    :smiley: Awesome work!!!
    I am also muttering here…

03/01: PLAN:4 miles easy. Windy, pace between 12:15-12:30 for all splits.
    03/02: PLAN:REST DAY..planning on some walking/weights (Walked at work but night walk didn’t happen)
    03/03: PLAN:4 miles plus “strides”? (I think that’s what they would be called..they will be intervals of sprinting following the main easy run) I didn’t have enough time this morning to get in 4 plus but I wanted to make sure I didn’t skip out on running so I took my clothes with me to work (hour commute) and did what I could there. 2.65 miles at a fast pace (for me) of 10:50. I’ll plan on getting the 4+ in tonight, this will just be a bonus.

RACES UNDER CONSIDERATION (centralohioraces.com)
    03/12 Pi Day 5K?
    04/02 WARM Quest to End Poverty Run Westerville, OH
    04/09 World Race for Hope Columbus, OH (Proceeds to anti-slave trafficking)

exercise.png MONTHLY TICKER