March 2016 Running Challenge

Replies

• ceckhardt369
    ceckhardt369 Posts: 115 Member
    March Running Totals (km)
    3/1- 1.4 (1.4/35)
    3/2- 2.51 (3.91/35) Work was making me mad so I used some personal time to leave early. Used some of that anger to push through my run today and for the first time ran 8 min without stopping! It's slow going but I'm trying to build that base so that eventually I can get faster!
    3/3-
    3/4-
    3/5-
    3/6-
    3/7-
    3/8-
    3/9-
    3/10-
    3/11-
    3/12-
    3/13-
    3/14-
    3/15-
    3/16-
    3/17-
    3/18-
    3/19-
    3/20-
    3/21-
    3/22-
    3/23-
    3/24-
    3/25-
    3/26-
    3/27-
    3/28-
    3/29-
    3/30-
    3/31-

Races
    March 16th- Shamrock Run
    April 10th- Run For Home HM (Relay Team)
    May ?- TuscBDD 5k
    June 25th- Indian Mud Run
    August 13th- Insane Inflatable 5k
    August 20th- Warrior Dash
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    9voice9 wrote: »
    Whew! Had to replace the first link- it got quite crude... This is G rated.
    http://www.runnersworld.com/run-matters/are-you-addicted-to-running

WE WANT THE FIRST LINK! WE WANT THE FIRST LINK! :smile:

Ha-ha! It really was crass. Wanking, f- bombs, elephant dung, and meth addicted crows... Which is hilarious... But i thought the unsuspecting newbie might flip sht.. Google "running addiction" it's by AngryJogger.

OMG that first link was just what I needed to read this morning! And on a side note, I think I'm hoarding shiny medals like those meth addicted crows :blush: . I had add more cork board to my "wall of awesome" to fit this year's bibs and medals! My husband came into the room and saw what I had done, he just shook his head and walked back out.

Ha-ha! I started to staple mine in the recessed part of the ceiling. Then decided it wasn't worth irritating my spastic muscles. I'm still not sure what to do with the bibs. I've seen bib holders, like a hanging 3 ring binder. That may be an option.. Medals are hanging off my leaning book case

I get it not being worth the pain! I've never seen the bob holders but they sound like something that could work...
    I use stools and climb on dressers to hang mine! The husband is afraid I'll eventually take over the whole wall. I just started 3 years ago with a warrior dash and each year I add more races. Just last year I started running road races (as opposed to ORC's where I don't have to run much or be fast to finish well!) and trying to be a better runner in general. This group has helped so much!
    rbk5zezhepsn.jpeg

Love it! I may do mine eventually, just pick the right day, or have a few beers while up and down to help confuse those muscles.
  • Elise4270
    March Running Totals (km)
    3/1- 1.4 (1.4/35)
    3/2- 2.51 (3.91/35) Work was making me mad so I used some personal time to leave early.

Ha-ha! I left early today too! Running beats work any day!
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    3/1: Rest day
    3/2: 12 miles (am), 5 miles (pm)

Great evening run! Group run with my running store who were doing a run + yoga event. Skipped the yoga since my hands can't do any real weight bearing yet with where the scabs are located on the outsides of my hands. Oh well! Got some social miles in, and that's all I really wanted! Much easier running tonight than this morning, probably due to all the coffee I drank while eating lunch #2 at Panera today. But now I'm ready to eat some dinner, hit the hay, and do it all over again tomorrow!

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    3/12: Run O' The Mill 5K (Clinton, NJ)
    4/3: Caesar Rodney HM (Wilmington, DE)
    5/1: New Jersey Marathon (Lots of towns, NJ
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Ended up doing a double today, as I got in some speedwork in the AM before heading off to the ballpark, and my neighbor wanted to break in some new shoes so I ran with him tonight.

Very happy that baseball is back.

3/1 - 3.5 miles
    3/2 - 10 miles

Total: 13.5 miles
    Goal: 200 miles
    Remaining: 186.5 miles

Upcoming Races:
    Half Ironman - Florida 70.3 - Apr 10
    Marathon - Pittsburgh - May 1
    Half Ironman - Augusta 70.3 - Sep 25
    Marathon - Chicago - Oct 9 (if accepted)
    Ironman - Florida - Nov 5
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    edited March 2016
    @9voice9 Idk I know people with sub 20 and I want a sub 20 5k at one point too. My guess is my progress was fast because I also lift on the side. I can squat 130 kg for 3 reps so I guess that strength helps on short runs. My time for 10k or more sucks for now.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Hi everyone - thanks for the lovely comments about my daughter. This afternoon was her first experience. The gym representative is "pretty nice-looking," nobody paid any attention to her - except him ;), and apparently on a certain machine, you can chase dragons. Really, do we need anything else? On the way to the car: "That was so much fun!!" She power-walked/ran a mile and tried some other things, including the punching bag with gloves. I could see her proud inner smile in the reflection of the windows at night from my treadmill. Of course, I grinned like a damn idiot.

3/1 - 3 miles (felt awesome - first time I really warmed up at 6.0 and went up from there)
    3/2 - 3 miles (deep tissue massage today, took the run nice and easy - reminds me, I need water)

exercise.png

I'm going to need to really start putting in more 4s, 5s, and 6s if I want to reach my goal. Speaking of 5 miles - I never seem to want to run 5 miles - I'd rather stop at 4 or go to 6. Strange idiosyncrasy.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited March 2016
    added another 2 miles this evening. Up to 5.5 for March, not a lot, but I'm starting to see a pattern in my running, when I'm doing 2-3 miles, I'm averaging 9:07 min/mile, And though it's slow, I can honestly say that's the fastest in my adult life. Now to see if I can stretch the distance and maintain the pace. Averaged 9:28 min/mile on my last mile, so I think it's doable
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Date      Miles      MTD
    ------    -----    -----
    Mar 01      3.7      3.7
    Mar 02      3.8T     7.5

exercise.png
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    March Running Totals (miles)
    [2/28 – 7.78 easy]
    [2/29 – 7.22 easy + 4 strides]
    3/1 – 9.31 warm up + 8 x Yasso 800s
    3/2 – 6.02 easy
    3/3 –
    3/4 –
    3/5 –
    Weekly total TBD vs. target 62

March total to date – 15.33

Goal – 56, 62, or 68 miles per week, per training plan
    Expected March total - ~282 miles

Today's notes – By the time I got out to run, the temperature was 22° F (-5° C) and the snow showers had started. But my cold was enough better that it felt pretty good. I ran along, saw the snowflakes in my headlamp, and played "I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas" in my head. Then later on, some of the traffic acted like Christmas drivers. Oh, well, you can't have everything.

The assignment was easy, and my average pace was on the fast end of my easy range at 7:51 per mile. But I got home, showered, and felt great. It was almost like a rest day, as easy days should be.

Upcoming races:
    March 12, 2016 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY)
    March 26, 2016 Spring Forward Distance Run 15K (Mendon, NY)
    April 18, 2016 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA)
  • rcsmom2002
    rcsmom2002 Posts: 13 Member
    Thanks for the welcome everyone! @5BeautifulDays, I'm looking forward to spring also. Unfortunately the nice weather didn't stick around today, so it was 2 miles with my 13yo on the indoor track at the YMCA. He has day 2 of school soccer tryouts tomorrow so we kept it light tonight.

3/1: 3.25miles (beautiful day!)
    3/2: 2 miles (indoor track)

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    4/16/16: ODU Big Blue 5K (Norfolk, VA)
    8/6/16: Coast Guard 5K (Portsmouth, VA)

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    @5BeautifulDays - I don't know if it's in the budget, but I think you deserve a treadmill that tracks distance. Consider it as part of the offer package for the new job as your son's pancreas perhaps? I hope that helps.

I picked up some new shoes last night. Since Brooks only makes the latest version of Glycerin wide width shoes in the Black/Orange color, and since I already have two pair in that color, my new 3rd rotation pair had to be different to avoid mass chaos. At the store I narrowed things down to a pair of Mizuno Wave Riders and Brooks Ghosts. So I got both, naturally!

Today I broke in the Mizuno Wave Riders. They feel a lot different from the Brooks Glycerins I have been running in, but it felt like I could run in them, and they gave me no problems!

3/1 - 5 miles
    3/2 - 5 miles

10/150 Miles

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    4/9 - Rock the Parkway half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    4/16 - Garmin Wickedly Fast half marathon (Olathe, KS)
    4/23 - Race for Hope half marathon (North Kansas City, MO)
    5/1 - Buffalo Bell Stampede half marathon (Leavenworth, KS)
    5/14 - Running with the Cows half marathon (Bucyrus, KS)
    6/2 - Hospital Hill 5k 7pm PRE-RUN (Kansas City, MO)
    6/3 - Hospital Hill half marathon 7am RE-RUN (Kansas City, MO)
    10/15 - Kansas City Marathon 26.2 (Kansas City, MO)
    11/5 - Jenks half marathon (Jenks, OK)
    11/6 - Kansas half marathon (Lawrence, KS)
    11/12 - Longview half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    11/13 - Gobbler Grind half marathon (Overland Park, KS)
    11/19 - White River half marathon (Cotter, AR)
    11/20 - Pilgrim Pacer half marathon (Lenexa, KS)

@whatmerunning. Try the Brooks Launch next time. They are light and awesome. I went from Glycerin to them on my last purchase. Love them
  • Elise4270
    edited March 2016
    4leighbee wrote: »
    Hi everyone - thanks for the lovely comments about my daughter. This afternoon was her first experience. The gym representative is "pretty nice-looking," nobody paid any attention to her - except him ;), and apparently on a certain machine, you can chase dragons. Really, do we need anything else? On the way to the car: "That was so much fun!!" She power-walked/ran a mile and tried some other things, including the punching bag with gloves. I could see her proud inner smile in the reflection of the windows at night from my treadmill. Of course, I grinned like a damn idiot.

[/url]

I'm going to need to really start putting in more 4s, 5s, and 6s if I want to reach my goal. Speaking of 5 miles - I never seem to want to run 5 miles - I'd rather stop at 4 or go to 6. Strange idiosyncrasy.

Super that she had such a positive experience!
    I heard we have a natural bias to even numbers. I purposely seek odd, I keep running 7 and plan to skip 8 if possible! LOL!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited March 2016
    After run and in haste I put powdered Coco on my sweet potato thinking it was cinnamon. It works. I'm starvin'.
    @Elise4270 Thanks now I have milk all over my keyboard- and my sinus hurt! :s

@kristinegift Looking for a job? I hear that @7lenny7 and @WhatMeRunning are looking for a Race Schedule Coordinator, maybe you can live in the boat(s).

8 pages and 231 posts already. Missed my Monday run and Tuesday Swim Lessons due to travelling for work.
    Managed to do 10 km with the Wednesday Night Running club. Well not really as I was late getting home from work ( more traveling - 2000km in 3 days ) so I left from home and ran alone headed South towards where the group would normally be running, they were on a slightly different trail so like ships passing in the night we met going in the opposite direction, just yelled and waved as I wasn't going to try and high step through the snow to the other Trail.

exercise.png

03/01 – 0.0 Km – 0.0 - 140 km – 263.8 Km YTD
    03/02- 10.0 Km – 10.0 - 130 km – 273.8 Km YTD
  • KWKirkbride
    KWKirkbride Posts: 119 Member
    Found an hour in the middle of a long day at work to get some miles in. Going to try and stick with 5 milers as my minimum distance as I try to ramp my monthly goals into the 100+ range.

Can some of you Strava users please add me on there (Kevin Kirkbride - 471266)? I need some people to follow, admire, motivate me, etc. Do we have any Strava groups I can join? Thanks in advance.

3-1: nothing
    3-2: 5 miles
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,385 Member
    It is only the 2nd and I am pages behind on the posts already. Work is killing me and not leaving time to read and/or update here. Sorry but I am choosing to spend my few free minutes when I have them, out running :laugh:

I am in for 50 miles this month, half my usual mileage, but between work and surgery I will be lucky to get that in. The good news is I will have lots of time after my surgery to read all of your posts since I will be off for 2 weeks and I can't run or drive...

I got in a very fast 4 miles this morning in the short window I had to run. I will post my usual log and ticker later - I need to head to bed so I can be up in the morning for a 5am meeting :( Hoping for a run after if it doesn't drag on for too long!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,385 Member
    4leighbee wrote: »

Super that she had such a positive experience!
    I heard we have a natural bias to even numbers. I purposely seek odd, I keep running 7 and plan to skip 8 if possible! LOL!

@4leighbee - that is awesome she enjoyed it so much!

@Elise4270 - Personally I like Prime numbers so I think we should only run those, which also happen to be odd, well mostly. 2, 5, 7, 11, 13, etc...
  • 07KatieP13
    07KatieP13 Posts: 220 Member
    2 miles today, I'm really upset because the pain in my leg started again halfway through. I thought it'd gone after 2 weeks rest but it's back with a vengeance. I've got 2 days rest now, hopefully it'll be fine for my Sunday run.
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    March Goal: Run often

3/1 3.44
    3/2 9.27

Total 12.71

Upcoming races:
    3/20 Big Island International 1/2 marathon
    6/26 SHEPower Virtual 1/2 marathon
    11/13 Las Vegas Rock n Roll 1/2 marathon

Ticker is my goal for 2016 and accumulation to date:

exercise.png

• zmcgrandles
    zmcgrandles Posts: 78 Member
    Back for another attempt aiming for 60 miles again training plan calls for slightly more but I thought I'd give myself a bit of a margin. Got my first race this month as well rather excited less than 3 weeks to go!!

03/02 4.5 miles Legs took a while to warm up seriously thought of turning back home at mile 1 but persevered with it and turned into a really good run.

exercise.png

03/20 Canterbury Riverside 10k
    05/29 Edinburgh Half marathon