March 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    OK, I started a strava group. It's at: http://www.strava.com/clubs/mfpmnthlychlng

I invited some of you already. If you didn't get an invite, I am probably not following you on strava.
    It's a locked group, so i will need to approve requests.

If you need help setting up a strava account of synching it from your Garmin Connect account, please let me know.
  • pcarvalho3
    pcarvalho3 Posts: 36 Member
    Options

exercise.png
  • RunTimer
    RunTimer Posts: 9,137 Member
    Options
    :/ Fell short of my goal last month (curse you, February, and your 29 days :rage:)
    So I'm doubly committed to breaking 60 this month
    Bring on the March Lions :p

exercise.png
    • 03 - 7.5mi Commute run to work
    • 09 -
    • 14 -
    • 18 -
    • 22 -
    • 24 -
    • 29 -
    • 31 -

Year Totals - 2016 (Goal:600miles)
    c45bf3027cad941.gif
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    4leighbee wrote: »
    Hi everyone - thanks for the lovely comments about my daughter. This afternoon was her first experience. The gym representative is "pretty nice-looking," nobody paid any attention to her - except him ;), and apparently on a certain machine, you can chase dragons. Really, do we need anything else? On the way to the car: "That was so much fun!!" She power-walked/ran a mile and tried some other things, including the punching bag with gloves. I could see her proud inner smile in the reflection of the windows at night from my treadmill. Of course, I grinned like a damn idiot.

3/1 - 3 miles (felt awesome - first time I really warmed up at 6.0 and went up from there)
    3/2 - 3 miles (deep tissue massage today, took the run nice and easy - reminds me, I need water)

exercise.png

I'm going to need to really start putting in more 4s, 5s, and 6s if I want to reach my goal. Speaking of 5 miles - I never seem to want to run 5 miles - I'd rather stop at 4 or go to 6. Strange idiosyncrasy.

That's so awesome for your daughter. Glad she enjoyed it.
  • KWKirkbride
    KWKirkbride Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    A little slippery on the path today but it's better than a f'n treadmill. Still not confident running on slushy snow so I had to slow to a walk in a few questionable spots. Other than that it was a good run. Pizza for lunch.

3-1: nothing
    3-2: 5 miles
    3-3: 5 miles
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    A little slippery on the path today but it's better than a f'n treadmill. Still not confident running on slushy snow so I had to slow to a walk in a few questionable spots. Other than that it was a good run. Pizza for lunch.

3-1: nothing
    3-2: 5 miles
    3-3: 5 miles

Treadmill sucks. It's like it takes all that is fun about running and leaves you with only the pain
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    @Stoshew71 I set up a Strava account and sent a join request B)
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    WHOOO...It's a windy one out there. Warm (63-ish) and sunny, but with 20+mph winds, not to mention the gusts (and the added bonus of the gale-force winds caused by tall buildings downtown).

My schedule called for 5 miles yesterday, and a 4 mile MP today. However, my husband came home from Alaska yesterday, and I didn't manage to get a run in, so I decided on easy pace today--probably needed to do so anyway, since I'm building back up after a few weeks off.

Still adjusting to the higher temps, but the run went fairly well. I did have to stop and walk a couple of times to relieve a side stitch, but my average pace ended up around 11:00/mile. Not bad all things considered, and I have to remember that easy means easy, not fast. It's so hard not to be disappointed in a slower easy than I'm used to, though!

As for distance, I went with my counterclockwise bridge route (from downtown to the river, across the 1st street bridge, down River West trail, back across the 23rd st bridge, up Riverside East trail, and back into downtown the same way I came. Downtown is crazy today, as there's prep going on for some Bassmaster Fishing thing (expo maybe?? not sure). Lots of people and boxes and handtrucks to dodge! Total was 5.4 miles today.

Total: 10.4/100 miles for the month. I'm already past my total mileage for February!! Woohoo! LOL
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    Virkati wrote: »
    @Stoshew71 I set up a Strava account and sent a join request B)

Accepted and followed.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    3/1 - 15.15mi (easy run)
    3/3 - 20.0mi (long run)

March total: 35.15

UPCOMING RACES
    Beginner's Luck Trail 25k - April 9
    REVEL Mt Charelston Marathon May 7
    Twilight and Beyond 50k - June 4
    Running w Devil 10k or HM - June 25-26
    Nocturnal Sins M or 80k - July 9
    Beyond Black and Back M or 100k - Aug 6
    ET Marathon or 50k - Aug 20-21
    Mt Charelston Downhill Marathon - Oct 22
    Beyond Spooked Halloween ultra TBA Oct 29
    RnR Vegas M or Half TBD -Nov 13
    Vegas Turkey Trot 12K/HM Nov 24
    Hoover Dam Marathon - Dec 10
  • rjmqk3
    rjmqk3 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    OK, I started a strava group. It's at: http://www.strava.com/clubs/mfpmnthlychlng

I invited some of you already. If you didn't get an invite, I am probably not following you on strava.

If you need help setting up a strava account of synching it from your Garmin Connect account, please let me know.

Does Strava sync with a Fitbit Charge HR? I only saw that it is compatible with the fitbit surge. Anyone know?
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Strava group request sent
  • ceciliaslater
    Options
    Forgot to mention: I developed a nasty blister on the inside of my right foot today (area of the ball of the foot/base of the big toe, but on the side). I haven't changed shoes or anything, and obviously haven't put many miles on them lately. I'm thinking maybe my gait has changed somewhat now that my left leg isn't so jacked up. I don't know. Maybe I just need to buy new shoes...aw shucks.
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    ROBOTFOOD wrote: »
    Strava group request sent

Bekah and Chris are both accepted and followed.
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    Forgot to mention: I developed a nasty blister on the inside of my right foot today (area of the ball of the foot/base of the big toe, but on the side). I haven't changed shoes or anything, and obviously haven't put many miles on them lately. I'm thinking maybe my gait has changed somewhat now that my left leg isn't so jacked up. I don't know. Maybe I just need to buy new shoes...aw shucks.

My wife used to get blisters all the time until she got running socks. Then they went away magically.

• ceciliaslater
    edited March 2016
    Options
    rjmqk3 wrote: »

Does Strava sync with a Fitbit Charge HR? I only saw that it is compatible with the fitbit surge. Anyone know?

@rjmqk3 - You might find this link helpful: https://www.reddit.com/r/fitbit/comments/3h1h43/charge_hr_heart_rate_recording_in_strava/
    Looks like you can get HR data in strava (as well as GPS) if you link your accounts and record your run using the fitbit app on your phone (required to get GPS data).

From the link above:

Put on fitibit Charge HR
    Start fitbit app
    Touch "Track your exercise" in the fitbit app.
    Select the little stop watch in the top right hand corner of the app
    Wait for GPS to sync
    Hit the play (or start) button
    Run
    Stop the run (when done) in the app.
    Let it auto-upload to strava
    Confirm it uploaded successfully.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options

I had the same thing, but with new-ish shoes. I sent them back for a half size up. Figure it was a tor box issue. Or gait ;)
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options

You'll have to tell me how to join. I don't see a way to join. :hushed:
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

You'll have to tell me how to join. I don't see a way to join. :hushed:

Check your notifications, cause I invited you.

• louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I really did not want to go out for a run tonight, and had even decided that I wasn't going to go as I needed a rest due to having a sore throat and probably coming down with something. Anyway, whilst changing into my pyjamas I decided to change into my running clothes and go regardless. So glad I did, it was gorgeous :) I ran to my favourite place and just sat by the river for a while, listening to the waterfall. I forgot to pause my watch though, so my time looks shocking! Never mind, it was the chill out I needed after a horrible week work-wise.

I may now head over to strava. I don't use it at the moment but my tomtom watch will sync to it so I may join you all there.

1st March - 3.03 miles
    3rd March - 4.03 miles

MTD - 7.06/65 miles

Upcoming races:
    19th Mar - Spring Riverside 10km
    3rd Apr - Paddock Wood Half Marathon
    8th May - Run Hackney Half Marathon