Giving up pop

Options

Replies

• geemariep
    geemariep Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I really like carbonated water. Gives me the sensation of soda with no sugar.
    arditarose wrote: »
    It's the sugar you're addicted to. If you switch to sweet tea, you'll still get the sugar but you won't have the harm of the carbonation. After you are well and thoroughly done with Coke, you can start reducing the sugar content of your tea. It takes time to break away from a sugar addiction. It might help if you deliberately have sweet corn, watermelon, or other naturally sweet foods in your diet to further trick your mind into associating sugar with good nutrition.

What in the world are you talking about? How is switching from one sugary drink to another sugary drink helpful in this situation? What "harm" does the carbonation cause?

• willybilly30
    willybilly30 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I need to give up soda
    i drink way too many dr.thunders i can't even tell you how many
    Don't suggest diet coke it tastes terrible to me
    i been forgetting to put it in my food diary but its alot
    i bought some carbonated water along time ago its been in my fridge forever
    some one here suggested replacing ot with coffee i could do that and leave out the cocoa i put in it
    but, it is caffiene
    I do not like water..will i learn to love it if i drink it?
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I didn't used to like water, but a filter has really helped that situation.
  • Terpnista84
    Terpnista84 Posts: 517 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    How are your food choices? I still love soda but I only crave it when I eat foods that go well with it. When I eat healthy the desire to drink soda goes away. If I'm eating a salad I want water.
  • ModernRock
    ModernRock Posts: 372 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    (some people find it increases their cravings and giving into those could lead to a calorie surplus).

1. Feel a little hungry. 2. Drink diet soda and hunger goes away for awhile. 3. Later on the hunger comes back even worse....craving food! 4. Overeat.

Did the diet soda cause the cravings and overeating? Or, perhaps using diet soda to delay eating something in the first place caused the person to get hungrier than they should have allowed themselves to get.

That's my best explanation for the diet soda/craving connection.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I need to give up soda
    i drink way too many dr.thunders i can't even tell you how many
    Don't suggest diet coke it tastes terrible to me
    i been forgetting to put it in my food diary but its alot
    i bought some carbonated water along time ago its been in my fridge forever
    some one here suggested replacing ot with coffee i could do that and leave out the cocoa i put in it
    but, it is caffiene
    I do not like water..will i learn to love it if i drink it?

You might.

Try the carbonated and try adding a little lemon or lime.

I also make and chill herbal teas as an alternative to water (and iced coffee, but I love coffee way too much as mentioned above). ;-)

I love water so long as it is nice and cold.
  • amclain93
    amclain93 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    You have to phase it out. It's literally an addiction, so you will experience fatigue, headaches, and cravings when you try to quit it cold turkey. Diet soda is just as terrible for you as regular soda, albeit in different ways, so dont switch one out for the other because its just switching one addiction for another. Take your current daily intake of soda and downsize. If you drink two bottles (from the 6 packs) a day, start drinking one bottle, then one can, then one little can (the four ouncers) until you don't need it anymore. If you need the bubbles there are lots of carbonated water options, that can also come sugar free, zero calorie, etc.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Why is diet soda terrible for you again?
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    amclain93 wrote: »
    You have to phase it out. It's literally an addiction, so you will experience fatigue, headaches, and cravings when you try to quit it cold turkey. Diet soda is just as terrible for you as regular soda, albeit in different ways, so dont switch one out for the other because its just switching one addiction for another. Take your current daily intake of soda and downsize. If you drink two bottles (from the 6 packs) a day, start drinking one bottle, then one can, then one little can (the four ouncers) until you don't need it anymore. If you need the bubbles there are lots of carbonated water options, that can also come sugar free, zero calorie, etc.

how so? If you mean the artificial sweeteners, that has been debunked a thousand times over.
  • rumpleteaser1
    rumpleteaser1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello! I gave up regular pop years ago...I drank diet for a long time until I heard stories of how bad for you all of those chemicals are. So now I drink water with lemon in it, it's really good! Seltzer with lemon when I want bubbles!!
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    What chemicals are in diet soda again?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    What chemicals are in diet soda again?

She's probably talking about Aspartame. I've read biased studies that it's fine, and biased studies saying it's extremely unhealthy. Obviously coca cola and associates belong to the first category...

And no, I am NOT getting into a pros and cons debate over Artificial sweetners. .

• srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Giving up pop to me was as simple as snapping my fingers. It really doesn't do anything for me. I'd rather have a candy bar and water
  • thunder1982
    thunder1982 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I started drinking diet coke and then one day when I was sick my mum bought me a real coke as I couldn't keep anything down. I have drunk coke ever since. I have drunk coke xero from time to time but when it first came out it gave me the runs.

A 4-5 can habit at my worst. I had to quit cold turkey last year. I was in bed before my kids most nights that week and took paracetamol regularly for the first few days. It was a tough week. I started to feel better mid second week.

Then I worked on changing habit. No drink with meals cause I knew that would lead back to coke eventually. Didnt switch to any other drink as again that wasnt kicking the actual habit and eventually i'd go back to coke cause I like it.

I got used to drinking mineral water. I drink lots of plain water during the day and mineral water at night as I cant take anymore plain water by then. I managed about 10 weeks with no coke It was enough to change the automatic , this was the longest I had ever gine without coke or substituting it for something else. Reflex to have coke at every meal/fuel stop/go to the shops etc But I have gone back to drinking coke. Struggled to even finish a 600ml bottle on Sat night (I do normally prefer a can anyway). I dont drink coffee so if I need a morning pick me up unfortunately its still a coke. But it def not an everyday thing. I limit it to 1 a day generally. Weekends might be more but I dont bulk buy it for home so I have to really want it to go out and get it. Most of the time I cant be bothered anymore.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options

Literally the only addictive substance in soda is caffeine.
  • geemariep
    geemariep Posts: 21 Member
    Options

I thought I was addicted to Diet Coke. Turns out I just really like it. I haven't touched any soda in over a week and it hasn't bothered me at all. When I did Weight Watchers I still drank Diet Coke because it was 0 points. If I'm not mistaken it's 0 calories, but for me it's more of a health thing now and I have heard of people dropping 10 lbs JUST by eliminating soda, diet or not.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    It's the sugar you're addicted to. If you switch to sweet tea, you'll still get the sugar but you won't have the harm of the carbonation. After you are well and thoroughly done with Coke, you can start reducing the sugar content of your tea. It takes time to break away from a sugar addiction. It might help if you deliberately have sweet corn, watermelon, or other naturally sweet foods in your diet to further trick your mind into associating sugar with good nutrition.

What in the world are you talking about? How is switching from one sugary drink to another sugary drink helpful in this situation? What "harm" does the carbonation cause?

It's only get control of how much sugar is in the water.
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options

It's only get control of how much sugar is in the water.

Many restaurants in the southern US use more sugar for Sweet Tea than is put in Kool Aid. Unless you're making your own, don't assume there is less sugar than a soda.
  • mnishi
    mnishi Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I gave up pop a few years ago. I allow myself one a week but rarely even have that. I used to drink 4-8 a day. I just gave it up, it sucked at first. Like really, really sucked. But after a few weeks you stop craving it completely. I've noticed it's the same way with all sugar. Just stop eating/ drinking it and you'll stop wanting it. I was on this website for 4 years and had lost about 15 pounds in all that time, after I gave up 90% of my sugar consumption, 15 pounds in 6 months. Yes, there are other factors involved in that weight loss but quitting sugar really taught me self control and I just generally make better, healthier decisions now.

I also don't ever, ever drink anything 'diet.'
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else struggle with this ? I have tried so many times to quit drinking Coke. It's so hard!! Trying once again !

196mWcA.gif

tumblr_inline_mmczcfcZr21qz4rgp.gif

latest?cb=20140716022640