What's YOUR biggest obstacle to eating healthy?

Options

Replies

• rsleighty
    rsleighty Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Fatigue. When I'm over tired I over eat. I try to have healthy foods precooked and preportioned in the fridge so I can eat while I am cooking for the rest of my family. When I don't I eat way too much of all the wrong things.

• erialcelyob
    erialcelyob Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Chocolate. It is my weakness if I'm tired, stressed or just damn hungry
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Was ADHD....
  • CatherineElizabeth13
    CatherineElizabeth13 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Stress. I use chocolate and a cup of tea to keep calm. An apple and water just doesn't cut it.

I'm working on that.
  • Matt200goal
    Matt200goal Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    1) Portion control & 2) "grazing" throughout the day.
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I'm not into cannibalism so no, I won't eat Healthy.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Grazing... and self control.
  • Malenurse51
    Malenurse51 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    The break room at work. Full of yummy chips and sandwiches and hotpockets. However with my calorie goals and office job (not a lot of exercise) I cant fit a whole bunch of snacks into my goals at the moment. So the break room just kills me.

This, and "community meals" that we have @ work.

• AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    1) portion control
    2) portion control
    3) portion control

I know how to cook and have always eaten pretty healthy. My DH won't eat red meat, and so we eat a lot of veggie dishes and seafood, a little turkey/chicken. I know how to cook healthy. But I do just really like a big old plate of food! Or two!
  • DKG28
    DKG28 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    biggest obstacle: having to pack 2 meals to take to work everyday (lunch and dinner). I can pack a lunch everday, but the prep to pack lunch and dinner doesn't always happen and I end up going fast food for dinner.
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Parties!! Too much good food at arms reach is bad news.

I was tested recently @ a paty with a ton of goodies & I did not give in to the temptation. When you can refuse to give in to junk food & control your portions of good food you know you have control of your own destiny... :)
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    #1- My own excuse -Juggling 3 kiddos <one a 8mo old baby > after work and having hot food show up at my door really makes my life easier.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    However YOU define "eating healthy" - what stops or trips you?

Me, I mess up when I am stressed and tired, and think I need a "treat" to reward me for prior good behavior. And, when I mess up my day, I tend to eat outside my normal limits because "I'm already over."

My diet consists largely of whole foods and meals prepared from scratch, whole ingredients or minimally processed foods like cans of tomatoes and whatnot. This stuff makes up probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 90% of my diet. I'm a pretty solid in the kitchen and so is my wife so all of this good, wholesome nutrition is also pretty delicious...in other words, I never feel or perceive that I'm eating "diet food" or anything...it's all awesomeness and I enjoy eating this way so I can't really say there are any obstacles in my way per sei...I also need around 3,000 calories or so to maintain so I'm certainly not deprived, even when I'm in a cut.

I do eat some "junk" from time to time and I overeat from time to time, but not to the extent that it is particularly relevant to my diet and my goals as a whole. I'm a little loser with things on the weekends in terms of doing things like going out for pizza or grabbing some enchiladas from one of my favorite New Mexican joints or some fish 'n chips at the pub...but I'm also a lot more active on the weekends and everything pretty much evens out.

Probably the biggest impediment for me early on was craft beer...I love a good craft beer and was in the habit of drinking beer most nights of the week which was particularly difficult to fit in when I was initially losing weight a few years ago...I broke the habit of nightly drinking and don't really drink during the week anymore save for the random glass of wine or something on a Thursday evening...but I pretty much keep it to Friday and Saturday and that has worked fine for me.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Nothing has stopped me from eating healthy. Eating healthy would be eating in a manner that keeps you healthy, and I'm healthy.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I do like salty and sweet foods, while at the same time I have never had to worry about excess body fat. I'm very slender (at the far low end of the healthy BMI range) and also am fairly active. Sometimes it's a struggle because I know I can pack away a lot of junk food and still not gain weight, while this is not true for most of the population.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    My obstacle is insomnia and the sweet cravings that come while I'm awake in the wee hours of the morning.
  • otillie03103
    otillie03103 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Chocolate. I try to give in occasionally with diet hot cocoa or a piece of sugar free chocolate just so I don't feel completely deprived.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    For me it's having a severeGI disease which makes me unable to eat most fruits and vegetables (none, other than banana raw, a few pureed and cooked to death), no seeds, nuts, legumes, low fiber, garlic, spices, lactose and a few other things.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Money, as in having enough to buy the foods I want rather than relying on relatives to buy for me.
  • amclain93
    amclain93 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    For me, its the financial aspect of it. When the power or gas or water gets turned off, you could show me all the 'what $20 really get you' buzzfeed articles in the world, and it wouldnt change the fact that as of that moment, it would be cheaper and easier to go buy a pizza. Having food but not having a way to cook it (or even store it, in some cases) is really detrimental to eating healthy. And i think thats something a lot of people dont think about in the whole, eating healthy isnt expensive debate. No, vegetables generally are not more expensive then fast food. But bills and appliances are. If our oven were to die on us right now, it would literally be a year before we could replace or fix it.