Exercise for Disabilities

Options
Hi, I'm 54 and have a disability from a car accident and being extremely over weight. (200 lbs over) I just joined a water aerobics class and I LOVE it but I need help with exercises at home. I cant afford any equipment but I do have a stationary bike and I just bought resistance bands. My disability is back pain from 9 bad vertebrae, arthritis in back, hips and knees and Injured ligaments in one knee. I'm in severe pain standing or walking more than a few minutes, so I will have to start with exercises with sitting or laying (until I get stronger) Any questions or help would be appreciated. Thanks

Replies

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are off to a good start. You could probably continue with what you are doing for quite a while and just continue adding intensity and duration.

When I had mobility issues and was 100 pounds overweight, swimming was absolutely the best option for me--stick with the water exercise!

Have you ever tried Sit and Be Fit? It's a program from PBS--you should be able to find it online or at your local library if you are in the US.

Do you see a PT? That might be a good place to go for advice on safe exercise.

Good luck!
  • improvedchristine
    improvedchristine Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are off to a good start. You could probably continue with what you are doing for quite a while and just continue adding intensity and duration.

When I had mobility issues and was 100 pounds overweight, swimming was absolutely the best option for me--stick with the water exercise!

Have you ever tried Sit and Be Fit? It's a program from PBS--you should be able to find it online or at your local library if you are in the US.

Do you see a PT? That might be a good place to go for advice on safe exercise.

Good luck!

I had forgotten about Sit and Be Fit. I saw it last year but wasnt in the mindset then to make a lifestyle change Great idea. I was seeing a PT but insurance only gave me a few sessions. Thank you, Good places to start, I appreciate it

• SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    It's quite a bit harder for us disabled folks, but it's far from impossible.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10195005/wheelchair-user-maintaining-75-lbs-lost-for-4-years/p1
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Also look on YouTube for "chair yoga" videos.
  • improvedchristine
    Options
    It's quite a bit harder for us disabled folks, but it's far from impossible.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10195005/wheelchair-user-maintaining-75-lbs-lost-for-4-years/p1

I could relate to the feelings you had. Thank you for sharing, you are an inspiration.
  • improvedchristine
    Options
    64crayons wrote: »
    Also look on YouTube for "chair yoga" videos.

Thank you, I found some good ones
  • Silvervixen79
    Silvervixen79 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I am 36 and have chronic pain issues from arthritis, several bulging disks and rotated lumbar scoliosis.. not to mention being 250 lbs over weight. I had never heard of 'seated yoga' or anything like it- will definitely be looking it up. I am also trying to kick alcohol (have been drinking to dull the pain) and will be quitting smoking soon as well. If anyone wants to add me you are more than welcome :)
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,136 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'm disabled -walk on crutches because of a birth defect. My legs are weak because of it and I'm paralyzed from the ankles down.

I do most of my weight lifting sitting on a stool or chair. My upper body is extremely strong. I can also do cardio on the NuStep machine. I also walk after my gym workout. I belong to a medically oriented gym at a hospital, so I walk the public areas of the hospital. When I first started, I got asked all the time if I needed a wheelchair. Walking gives me a really hard workout, so to most people, I guess I look like I'm really struggling.